Minority view? REALLY liking it

Sleepwalker

Non-League
19 September 2011
When reading through the forums here, one might get the idea everyone thinks PES14 is a really bad game. I, for one, disagree with that opinion, so I thought I'd make a new thread, to see if there are others with the same experience as me. This thread is only meant to talk about the beauty in this game, so please no comments on the keepers, Konami pr and the strange patch/update schedule - which incidently are the only niggles I have about PES 14.

Every match I play I am amazed by how much of the outcome is determined by my own focus and concentration. A turn to the wrong side, sprinting too soon, playing the ball before you see the space - it all will be punished. This makes this game really immersive, and - when it all does fit, and I score (or even almost score), extremely satisfactory. The subtlellities in gameplay seem endless - every match differs.

I play with the latest PESedit-patch and some fantasyteams I edited myself. I really can see the player-id on the field: big slow players, agile players, good shooters, bad passers (today I tried a cross pass with a defensive midfielder who is big and heavy, a breaker with very little passing ability - and it hopelessly floated over the side line.) This game isn't afraid to show mistakes, and to force you to make them. I tend to think that's a real bonus of the new true ball system.

Then again - I am not one of those guys that beat the PC 6-0 on the highest level. I play professional and have a really good time with it. Maybe I am playing it wrong? :))

Agree, I am & always have been a master league fanatic.
You have to know Your players.Some only have subtle differences
but that difference from a player, particularly if they lose ball in midfield can be quite telling.
For me the game with the new engine can only get better.
It does not matter if people love or hate the game,Konami are clearly on a learning curve with the game now as the subsequent patches and gameplay changes have shown.

No your not playing it wrong. I can see my self in what you wrote, totally! Right now, I´m enjoying PEs 2013 better again because I see as a better overal experience, so for me, its more satisfying. Pes 2014 is growing though and I keep high expectations for next years. If they can keep the fisics and add the realism of pes 2013 (wich is no perfection but is somehow better) it´ll be a really great game!!
Just hope they don´t quit on PC users like EA did.

Well, main problem of PES 14 seems to be that while it has some really fantastic features (I really like the graphics and how the game flows in general, much more than FIFA), some other important stuff like shooting or goalkeeping is just absolutely, completely wrong.

Whole game seems to be made outta both good and bad extremes. Some things are fantastic, the other ones - literally the worst in PES history. I hated goalkeepers in PES 2009 to death, but 2014 brings it to whole new level.

While of course opinions will be varying and I believe some people might like one features and dislike others, I simply guess it's about those extremes. PES 2014 has both the best and the worst features yet to be seen.

Unfortunately it seems that negatives are outweighting positives. And abysmal support for the game (waiting for the patches and DLCs, lack of communication between KONAMI and fanbase), coupled with the feeling that KONAMI straight out ignores PC players and might even not release PES 2015 for PC simply devastates PES 14 and KONAMI's reputation.

While I am able to see a chance that things will improve and that PES 2015 might be an absolute cracker, we've all been through enough crap and same bugs every year to believe in KONAMI and PES any longer.

Personally I have that sort of love-hate relationship(?!) with this game - I absolutely love some features and I want to believe in better future of franchise, but some catastrophic bugs and KONAMI PR are throwing me off rather efficiently.

Had the worst bugs (absolute crap goalkeepers, no chance to score from outside da box and catastrophic shooting) been ironed out, PES 14 would be million times better than FIFA already. (That's, again, a personal opinion only).

The problem is that the game punish you for being good. Technically it's called "dynamic difficulty" but Konami fears more than death itself that a player should not be challenged so they toss realism out of the window to achieve it. PES2014 is a fantastic game if you're not able to beat the AI match after match, because then this mentioned dynamic difficulty doesn't muck up the game. That issue has been with the series in general and not just 2014.

I am fairly positive towards the game though, in my eyes it's more than a small improvement as well. I hope for a more "realistic" approach to difficulty though. I mean a game that consists of teams of varying real life levels should be pretty dynamic in terms of difficulty without having a setting that unbalance it all on top. I.E. You want a challenge? Use a weak team in a strong league. Simple as that. Too hard? Use Benfica or Porto... strong teams in a fairly weak league.

Last edited:
I'm just mad for the lack of winter transfer DLC for PC.. that's all. Even as I had hope the ML would be revamped and other things would be improved, in the end I just want to play a good match with my friends, and for me PES2014 plays really good in the last patches (not the one released yesterday on PS3 i couldn't try it yet). But the lack of the DLC for PC being on the last days of march is really pushing me out of the series. This was supposed to be my last PES on PC... after this I probable would buy a PS4 and play there but they stop supporting (at least temporarily) it on the middle of the season, for me that's unforgivable. Hope I'm wrong and the new free patches and DLC are finally released,

Edit: By the way.. I stopped playing online totally for the cheating (those same bug goals), but offline it plays really well. GK are horrendous, but they always were. I tried again PES2013 and now it seems too fast for me. I just think they need to keep working on PES2014, it's close to being a really good offline game.

Last edited:
Indeed PEs 2013 seems faster, but there are ways to change that. PES 2014 I can´t fully enjoy the pace the game offers. I lower the speed and the passing/shooting looks great, but player animation is most of times slow or unresponsive. If I put it faster, player animation is great but ball speed is to fast, and overall pace of matches is unrealistic. Besides, what keeps me away is the players awareness, or lack of it wich ruins some pretty good moments and the GK´s. The only bad thing for me in pes 2013 are animations because other then that, it behaves like it should.

I believe pes 2015 is going to blow any competition but come on, no PC version?!! Really?

Well, I'm not buying anything but a PC version so unless it comes for that platform I'm obviously not getting it. My XBOX360 is in a really bad shape and I'm not getting the new consoles unless they're somehow free.

I like PES 2014 too, but the lack of modes and options (bad Master League, no offline community, no stadium edit, no rain, etc) is a problem.
Anyway I'm optimistic, PES 2015 will almost surely be available also on PC, just think that PS4 & XboxOne are more similar to a PC then PS3/X360, so the work for Konami should be less/easier. :)
For the WC DLC not released on PC, I think is due to piracy: one guy buy the DLC and 1000 downloads it, for PC is very easy, not for console. About the patches for PC: well... that's Konami!

I wouldn´t be too surprised about no PC version. It´s understandable actually. Mods comunities ruin Konami´s DLCs sales.
Not easy to accept though.

Mods comunities ruin Konami´s DLCs sales.

I dont think this is true, its just certain mods requiring nocd that hasnt helped, and the normal people who just wont pay anyway. If anything mods/patches make it more interesting.

Anyway, I like PES2014 I came from 12/13/14 of Fifa and after the no next gen and spending most of my time tweaking the AI with ini files in fifa and wanting better lock to player flexibilty in tournaments (that are getting more strippbed back with next gen version) I found all the things I wanted in EA title sat in pes already.

And if pes2015 can update things ( I posted what I would like in a thread there "what do you want to see in pes2015" thread) than I will see it through another year.

I dont hate it as much as people who are used to previous pes titles, but truest me if your an older player like me and you only were used to AI etc in Fifa for the last 3 years and then you got pes2014 for the first time of ever playing this game, its far from as crap as you might think.

There's no better way to keep a game alive, fresh, and relevant than to allow modding and customization community to work on your game.

If it wasn't for mods I wouldn't even consider looking at PES. Users want control nowadays. It's a new era. Can't get stuck in the past.

Had the worst bugs (absolute crap goalkeepers, no chance to score from outside da box and catastrophic shooting) been ironed out, PES 14 would be million times better than FIFA already. (That's, again, a personal opinion only).

The goalkeepers in this game are beyond disgusting. Im totally disgusted.

Most goals in human vs human matches are chips over the GK or other times he's fumbling the ball into his own net from a soft shot. It's not possible to enjoy a game with keepers this bad when the goal keeper is such a key position in the game of football.

The refs don't even know the meaning of advantage. How many times have you been on the attack then the ref blows the whistle for a foul and stops the flow of the game. The player collisions seem woeful also. The players bounce into each like their bumper cars, it doesn't seem organic at all.

I wish I could like this game because I stopped playing Fifa months ago, but I don't like it.

Last edited:
I wouldn´t be too surprised about no PC version. It´s understandable actually. Mods comunities ruin Konami´s DLCs sales.

It's also because PES games since... Well, ever, are wack online that everyone prefers to download, crack and play it offline rather than buy a new version on steam.

If the online experience was as good as Fifa, that could change everything... I don't talk about the core-game, but the feeling of playing pratically like if it was at home with friends.

When reading through the forums here, one might get the idea everyone thinks PES14 is a really bad game. I, for one, disagree with that opinion, so I thought I'd make a new thread, to see if there are others with the same experience as me. This thread is only meant to talk about the beauty in this game, so please no comments on the keepers, Konami pr and the strange patch/update schedule - which incidently are the only niggles I have about PES 14.

Every match I play I am amazed by how much of the outcome is determined by my own focus and concentration. A turn to the wrong side, sprinting too soon, playing the ball before you see the space - it all will be punished. This makes this game really immersive, and - when it all does fit, and I score (or even almost score), extremely satisfactory. The subtlellities in gameplay seem endless - every match differs.

I play with the latest PESedit-patch and some fantasyteams I edited myself. I really can see the player-id on the field: big slow players, agile players, good shooters, bad passers (today I tried a cross pass with a defensive midfielder who is big and heavy, a breaker with very little passing ability - and it hopelessly floated over the side line.) This game isn't afraid to show mistakes, and to force you to make them. I tend to think that's a real bonus of the new true ball system.

Then again - I am not one of those guys that beat the PC 6-0 on the highest level. I play professional and have a really good time with it. Maybe I am playing it wrong? :))

I totally agree! Good thread!

I also enjoy playing PES 2014 a lot and never wanna go back to PES 2013. I love the animations and physics in this game as it feels quite real.
Yesterday I watched the CL match Real Madrid vs Borussia Dortmund and in the Half-time break, I played one match of my ML offline using the latest PESEDIT Patch.
I enjoyed it a lot, the CPU quite gave me a hard time (playing on Top Player) and it ended 1:1.
Playing this right after watching a match on TV is awesome.

I understand why many people don´t like it and I think it´s just a matter of priority, like, what flaws are a game breaker for you and what not. It´s quite relative.
I also see them flaws, but still they don´t make me not enjoying that game.

About PES 2015 not coming on PC: I can´t believe, that will happen.
My opinion is, that the modding is one of the big reasons why so many people still play PES.
People wanna play with original players and teams, at least that´s the most I hear when people tell me why they play FIFA.
So I rather think that the modding community is a big plus to KONAMI.
But you never know what kind if decisions gonna be done by them...

I totally agree! Good thread!

I also enjoy playing PES 2014 a lot and never wanna go back to PES 2013. I love the animations and physics in this game as it feels quite real.
Yesterday I watched the CL match Real Madrid vs Borussia Dortmund and in the Half-time break, I played one match of my ML offline using the latest PESEDIT Patch.
I enjoyed it a lot, the CPU quite gave me a hard time (playing on Top Player) and it ended 1:1.
Playing this right after watching a match on TV is awesome.

I understand why many people don´t like it and I think it´s just a matter of priority, like, what flaws are a game breaker for you and what not. It´s quite relative.
I also see them flaws, but still they don´t make me not enjoying that game.

About PES 2015 not coming on PC: I can´t believe, that will happen.
My opinion is, that the modding is one of the big reasons why so many people still play PES.
People wanna play with original players and teams, at least that´s the most I hear when people tell me why they play FIFA.
So I rather think that the modding community is a big plus to KONAMI.
But you never know what kind if decisions gonna be done by them...
I really don't believe how the people can still play PES 6, I can understand who plays PES 2013, but PES 6?? PES 2014 is simply the best PES ever for gameplay (apart historical bugs like goalkeepers :CONFUSE:) and graphics (also if looks a bit "plastic" and, especially from medium distance, players have blurred faces). Obviously it lacks for modes, but I hope that PES 2015 will improve this.

I casually watched a FIFA14 "next-gen" gameplay: how is possible that so many people like it? It's pure arcade, PES is simulation! I love how you have to construct your actions with short passages and similar things.

PES 2015 exclusively on PS4? Come on, think one moment: how many PES players have already bought a PS4? Maybe 5%? If PES15 will be released only for PS4, I think only about 20% of current PS3 owner will buy a PS4. Do you really think Konami want to lost 80% of (already low) profits?! :FAIL: Just look what happened with the PlayStation 2, PES 2014 is still available for it! :SHOCK: Maybe Konami will make the same for PS3: you will be able to play PES 2020 on your PS3 :SMUG:

It's Konami...:PIG:

I casually watched a FIFA14 "next-gen" gameplay: how is possible that so many people like it? It's pure arcade, PES is simulation! I love how you have to construct your actions with short passages and similar things.

How can PES be simulation?

I played on Superstar difficulty level against Barcalona in the Champions League. From the kick-off, I sprinted from the half way line then near the edge of the box chipped the ball over the GK to score.

This goal wouldn't never happen in a real match because the midfielders or defenders would show urgency and close in on the player to prevent them dribbling through and the GK wouldn't stand so far off his line. This goal wouldn't even happen in Fifa either.

Both PES and Fifa are very loose simulations of football at the best. They obviously need to make allowences and reduce realism for the fact that they are condensing a 90 minute football match into just about 12 minutes, but still goals like this shouldn't be possible, particularly against top class opposition on high difficulty.

Last edited:
Both PES and Fifa are very loose simulations of football at the best.

Right you are! I can understand people arguing for and against one game or another but the arguments are usually full of crap like that. I'd appreciate if people actually knew what "simulation" meant before they used the word liberally. I would prefer less arcade and more simulation in PES2014, but I like the game regardless. However, saying it's not an arcade game would be a lie. Very loose simulation is probably the best term, like you said.

Back
Top Bottom