Sony PlayStation 3

Re: PlayStation 3 - Official Thread (Design, Screens, Videos)

E3 2005: PS3 Price Revealed?
One of the most expensive consoles ever created, according to Japanese reports.
by Matt Casamassina

May 17, 2005 - According a an article published in the May 17th edition of Japan's Mainichi Shimbun, the PlayStation 3 could be one of the most expensive mass-market videogame consoles ever created. Officials from Sony apparently told the newspaper that PlayStation 3s would sell in Japan for "less than 50,000 yen each." That translates to about $465 US dollars.

Sony unveiled its next-generation console at the Electronics Entertainment Expo 2005. The beast of a machine utilizes the powerful Cell processor, a custom-designed graphics chip by Nvidia, and 512MBs of RAM for a quantum leap in performance. The system will also be the first-ever to support high-def movie-playback out of the box, taking advantage of the upcoming Blu-ray Disc format.

Sony claims that PS3 will be roughly 35 times more powerful than PS2. If Mainichi Shimbun is correct, gamers will be asked to pay a hefty price for the high-end functionality.

IGN was unable to validate this news with Sony officials. Stay tuned for more as the story breaks.

The playstation 3 looks really nice and slick. But the controller bothers me.

I can't wait to get my hands on it though.

I ain't paying that price for a games console....if this right looks like it will be 2007 at least before I get one :(

ThomasGOAL said:
Of course Hubneo, Sony say only tech demo and EA games are in real time 3D !

what do not want to say that killzone will not be like that, to perhaps better see same... ;)

But thats the problem, nobody has any idea what the PS3 games are going to look like. Polished mock up intros, which is all the Killzone demo is, has no relevance on what the final product will be like.

I guess I'm just too cautious about believing this kinda thing, I've seen it all before.

think halflife 2 times 35. the specs are a fact. and if those are a fact then what is holding developers back to make the graphics they used to pre-render, now in realtime? and calculation power is not restricted to graphics. every character can have his own complex AI, the whole world can have his own intelligent weather system, every tree can react to rain and grow. these are all things that could be done before, but noone would implent because cpu power could be used in other ways. not they dont have to set priorities anymore, they can throw it all in.

its shocking, it takes getting used too, but in the end its quite believable considering the specs. they are not making a machine for just 1 year, this one has to hold up for another 5/6 years.

but yeah, i have to see it to believe it too. somehow were so used to getting dissapointed by these hypes that we dont dare to believe them anymore. i hope were wrong this time.

PESV said:
every character can have his own complex AI, the whole world can have his own intelligent weather system, every tree can react to rain and grow. these are all things that could be done before, but noone would implent because cpu power could be used in other ways. not they dont have to set priorities anymore, they can throw it all in.

Wow you should work for Sony/MS ;) just kidding :D

hehe yea i can see now im sounding a bit like a member of the marketing crew =]
its just that i dont like sceptizism. and what about the killing day trailer. that looked like real gameplay to me?

Yes I agree on killing day looking like being ingame.
Theres one thing in the killzone vid that makes me think its in game
its when they land and get off those wierd transporters. The camera seems to switch from a floaty type to being locked on the fps view.
That reminds me of other fps games out at the moment where the intro to the level is rendered but then it smoothly switches to your actual fps view and you start playing.
Call of duty on pc does it I think.

To me, if your going to do prerendered stuff you have nice camera views from all over the place which is what you see in the motorstorm, Pgr3 etc vids but in the killzone, killing day and the insomiac one they are all in fps view and stay there.

Either way next-gen games are gona look better than what we have now
so that can only be a good thing!

Oh man they both look good. XBOX 360 def. looks better than the old XBOX but I just have to choose PS3 over XBOX 360. The graphics are AMAZING, god can only know whats in store for us when WE10 etc..comes around..

http://filmforce.ign.com/articles/615/615465p1.html

I think Spiderman accounted for something crazy like 38% of Sony's profits in 2003. I think Spiderman 2 was even more :shock:

Maybe they think they can continue the luck with the same font?

XBox 360's early arrival can be the pivoting point if MS can really sort out their marketing tho'

Not only is KillZone2 real-time, it's only about 2 months of development so it doesn't even come close to the finished product will be like.

The XBoyz need to stfu with Killzone being a pre-render coz it's not. It's been proven times and times again by people who attended the Sony conference and had backstage access.

The Xbox2 lineup looks poor with a bunch of multiplatform games. The system itself is weak. Take it out on somebody else.

rockykabir said:
Maybe they think they can continue the luck with the same font?

Does anyone else think that the "Playstation 3" Font/Logo is just a Temporary thing on the console until they show or come up with more of a "PS3" Logo .... simliar to what they did with the angular PS2 Logo that is on that machine.

I have a sneaky feeling that Logo/Font you see on it now, won't be used on the Final PS3 Design.

I personally dont care what the consoles look like.
I would prefer sony/MS to concentrate all their efforts on making the guts work really well rather than the aesethetics work well.
I think looking at it at the moment it seems Sony have put all their RD money on the guts and didnt have any money left for the design and MS have spent quite a bit on design and had to skimp on the guts, putting in soon to be out of date pc bits.

SilverSpider said:
Does anyone else think that the "Playstation 3" Font/Logo is just a Temporary thing on the console until they show or come up with more of a "PS3" Logo .... simliar to what they did with the angular PS2 Logo that is on that machine.

I have a sneaky feeling that Logo/Font you see on it now, won't be used on the Final PS3 Design.

It does look a bit odd tho - like they just slapped it on in the last minute. I can't imagine a company like Sony who spends millions on marketing will use the same font as one their other biggest productions in recent times.

Sony themselves said that the console and controller design might change from the final product!
Of course I doubt the change will be much considering it's less than a year away from the release! Maybe the font will change! lol

The design of the DS changed at the last moment before its release.
I'm sure SONY could do the same.

I actually like that controller. I think its smaller than everyone thinks it is.

i think the reason behind the controller is so that you can hold it lower down on the arm, thus making the left analogue stick easier to control as it will be further up.

one thing i hated about the dual shock is the position of the left analogue stick.

Yep you are definately meant to hold it lower down...as demonstrated.

scoopex-batman.jpg

I really want to see what will be like the new Winnig Eleven. :)

I like it, but i think that it will be 800$ or 700$, when it comes to Turkey. :(

Xbox 360 is quite fat.

ps3Xbox.jpg

The plugs are the same size, so its quite a legit comparison.

X-Box 360 it's just a PC desktop ? :lmao:

I joke, i don't think the different are so big

could someone post the comparison in size using the images of the cd trays as well?

Back
Top Bottom