Microsoft Xbox 360

Microsoft has confirmed reports that some Xbox 360 consoles are not compatible with its new Xbox 360 firmware upgrade, and advised those affected to get in touch.

"Following a recent update to our system software, we have become aware of an issue that is preventing a very small number of Xbox 360 owners from playing retail game discs," Microsoft said.

"This issue manifests itself a as a unique 'disc unreadable' or 'disc unsupported' error on the screen. We are also able to detect this issue over Xbox Live and are proactively reaching out to customers that may be impacted to replace their console."

The console manufacturer urged those having problems to get in touch at www.xbox.com/support/contact "so we can verify if the console has been impacted".

Microsoft will replace borked machines with a brand new Xbox 360 S with 250GB hard drive.

The new firmware is thought to prepare the Xbox 360 for use with the new XGD3 disc standard, which adds 1GB of useable data to 360 DVDs.

Digital Foundry this morning reported that the firmware combats pirated software.

I'm kind of hoping mine is one of those with the problem... Wouldn't mind replacing my 120gb Elite with a brand new 250gb model!

Oh right, mine was late 2007 or early 2008 so it is quite old, but yeah probably not going to have that issue.

I've had hardly any problems with my 360 - one RROD that was very efficiently fixed (sent off, repaired and returned in under two weeks!) and a button on the wireless controller getting stuck, which was replaced very quickly.

MS's customer service seems great from my experience.

Xbox 360 improved with 'PS3-only' graphics feature
"Quality bar raised" with Xbox version of PS3's MLAA

A pair of developers claim to have enabled a previously PS3-only graphics feature on Xbox 360 - and "raised the quality bar" in doing so.

The feature in question is Sony's MLAA anti-aliasing technique, seen in action in PS3 stunners such as God of War III and Killzone 3.

Sony created the effect to minimise "jaggies" in its PS3 titles - starting with God of War III - with far superior results than the more common MSAA technique found on other platforms, creating a smoother image overall.

MLAA has since become a regular bullet point in first and third-party PlayStation 3 games - and it was thought that Microsoft's console couldn't replicate it... until now.

A team of two developers now claim to have gotten the feature working not only on Xbox 360, but on PC as well - and they believe their implementation is superior to PS3's.

MLAA is considered highly demanding, taking 3-4ms to render on PS3, but Jorge Jimenez and Jose I. Echevarria say their 360 version is faster: "On the Xbox 360 we run at 2.47ms, with still a lot of optimisations to try," Jimenez said.

"We can't speak for all the MLAA(-like) implementations out there, but we think our current version 1.6 (the one used for these comparisons) has raised the quality bar considerably," Jimenez told gamesindustry.biz.

"In our tests, it produces results on par (when not superior) to CPU MLAA."

It's impressive to see engineers still squeezing juice out of the five-year-old consoles. It'll be interesting to see if Xbox 360 developers - and indeed, Microsoft itself - start adopting the technique.

Source

You can play MKVs through windows media centre when its connected to a PC

Other that the 360 can only play Xvids, DivX and MP4s converted from MKVs but you lose the 5.1 sound

I'm using turtle beach x12, quite good, can get it brand new from tescos £38 although theres a code floating around you can order it for £31

I'll be getting the new MW Xbox console today, at the mo I have an old Arcade console with my 120GB hard drive. I don't have much on the hard drive, just a few profiles and save games, but I'm mainly more worried about my Rock Band DLC because I have RB1, RB2 & Lego:RB exported plus a fair amount of DLC songs. So yea, basically how do I move it all to the new console which has built in hard drive I believe.

Also, I think I need to do something to get the RB content to be able to be played on the new console, like a license or something.

Any help is much appreciated guys!

There is a tutorial on xbox.com I think about the RB license. I'd take the console into if that's where your getting it, I'm sure they do it for you.

If memory serves you can get a cable that lets you connect your 'old' HDD to the new console, and be able to transfer over any data. Pretty sure I had to buy one when I upgraded last year, which seems a bit sly when it's only for a one time thing.

My GT f**ked up when I tried to recover it to the new console, and took about a month to get back (as their customer service is pony), but someone I know had no problems when they upgraded.

Found my Xbox hard drive transfer cable! New I had one so that's good. Now just need to find out about the Rock Band license.

All done and dusted!

Last night I ordered a TV mount for the Kinect unit, looks pretty good and should do it's job. Might also get one of the Nyko wide angle things that you clip over the top of the kinect and it makes the playspace shorter and wider.

Back
Top Bottom