iOS Gaming

Re: iPhone/iPod Touch/iPad Gaming

wow Game Dev Story is awesome! Thanks for the head sup on that - I'd have never known about it otherwise. Well worth the money.

I'm finding that it gets a little too easy after a while. Like aroun the 10th year onwards... I had so much money coming in and hall of fame hit after hall of fame hit that it became a little samey.

I've launched my own console now and trying to get all my hits onto that but it's lacking the feeling of having your own console. Like i can't see other peoples games being made for it and telling them yes or no and things like that.

Still a very nice game.

Are there any other games like this out?

Once you reach 20 years, the game basically ends and its just a high-score game.... which was disappointing to find.

I just got Virtual City, which seems pretty well built and quite addicting right now.

Soooo many games have come out recently. The most notable titles are:

Infinity Blade
Real Racing 2
Broken Sword: The Smoking Mirror Remastered
Aralon Sword & Shadow HD
TurboGrafx -16 Gamebox
Kosmo Spin
Backbreaker 2
Hook Worlds
PES 2011
Battlefield Bad Company 2
Yoot Tower
Illusia
Dungeon Hunter 2

Also tomorrow one of the greatest RPG's ever is released. Secret of Mana published and developed by Square Enix.

Plus Sony are releasing the official PlayStation app for the iPhone, iPod Touch and Android devices sometime this week. You can see the latest news and videos straight from the official PlayStation blog and access to some PSN features too such as friend lists and trophy details.

Soooo many games have come out recently. The most notable titles are:

Infinity Blade
Real Racing 2
Broken Sword: The Smoking Mirror Remastered
Aralon Sword & Shadow HD
TurboGrafx -16 Gamebox
Kosmo Spin
Backbreaker 2
Hook Worlds
PES 2011
Battlefield Bad Company 2
Yoot Tower
Illusia
Dungeon Hunter 2

Also tomorrow one of the greatest RPG's ever is released. Secret of Mana published and developed by Square Enix.

Plus Sony are releasing the official PlayStation app for the iPhone, iPod Touch and Android devices sometime this week. You can see the latest news and videos straight from the official PlayStation blog and access to some PSN features too such as friend lists and trophy details.

...plus Sim City Deluxe, which is perfect for the iPad and EA's 59p sale.

Madness month for iDevices. Plus the quality of some of those is definitely pushing hard into handheld gaming territory. Be worried if I was Nintendo and Sony tbf...

Unlike EA’s 48-hour fire sale, Capcom and Sega haven’t advised of an end date for their 99 cent sales, although you’d best get in quick just in case. Namco’s sale runs until Tuesday.

See the full list below, thanks to Joystiq.

Capcom (all $0.99)
Capcom Arcade
Dead Rising Mobile
Devil May Cry 4 Refrain
KenKen Pro
Mega Man II
Phoenix Wright
Resident Evil 4
Resident Evil 4 iPad Edition
Street Fighter IV
Who Wants to Be a Millionaire 2011

Sega
Altered Beast $0.99
ChuChu Rocket $0.99
ChuChu Rocket HD (iPad) $0.99
Columns $0.99
Ecco the Dolphin $0.99
Golden Axe $0.99
Gunstar Heroes $0.99
Phantasy Star II $0.99
Shining Force $0.99
Shinobi III $0.99
Super Monkey Ball 1 $0.99
Super Monkey Ball 2 $0.99
Super Monkey Ball 2 Sakura Edition (iPad) $0.99
Sonic Spinball $0.99
Streets of Rage $0.99
Virtua Fighter 2 $0.99
Sonic the Hedgehog $2.99
Sonic the Hedgehog 2 $2.99
Sonic the Hedgehog 4: Episode 1 $2.99

Namco
Ace Combat Xi Skies of Incursion $2.99
Avatwee $0.99
DigDug Remix $0.99
Galaga Remix $0.99
House of Glass $2.99
i Love Katamari $2.99
Isaac Newton’s Gravity – iPhone $0.99
Lost in Time: The Clockwork Tower $2.99
Mishap $1.99
Mishap for iPad $1.99
More Brain Exercise with Dr. Kawashima $1.99
More Brain Exercise with Dr. Kawashima HD $1.99
Mr. Driller $0.99
Ms. Pac-Man $1.99
Noby Noby Boy $0.99
Pac-Attack $0.99
Pac-Chain $0.99
Pac-Chain Compact $0.99
Pac-Man $1.99
Pac-Man Championship Edition $2.99
Pac-Man for iPad $1.99
Pac-Mania $0.99
Pac-Man Remix $0.99
Pole Position: Remix $0.99
Puzzle Quest 2 $4.99
Ridge Racer Accelerated $2.99
Slatterhouse $0.99
Star Trigon $0.99
Stroke of Midnight $3.99
Tamagotchi: ‘Round the World $0.99
Time Crisis Strike $0.99
Time Crisis 2nd Strike $2.99
Time Crisis 2nd Strike HD $3.99

everyAir - play PS3 games on any iOS device (iPhone, iPad, iPod)
With a little wrangling of hardware and software, we were able to put together a demo of how to play PS3 games on an iPod, iPhone, and iPad.

Feel free to ask questions in the comments, and read on for precise details on how we achieved this.

TLDR version: We used some off the shelf hardware and everyAir to allow you to play PS3 games on any iOS device.

Q&A:
=========================

Q: What's the overall picture for how this works?
A: The trick is to connect a capture device and a USB mouse/keyboard device to the PS3. The capture device sends video data to the PC, and the USB keyboard/mouse sends the button presses. On the PC itself, you run a custom build of everyAir which understands custom gestures and pipes the input to the PC which then sends it to the PS3 via the input interpreter.

Q: What were some of the hurdles?
A: There are two problems to solve: sending the video signal to the iOS device and sending back input from the iOS device. Sending the video signal is solved by using an off the shelf capture device, and then sending back the input is a combination of a custom build of everyAir with an off the shelf mouse/keyboard device that connects to the PS3.

Q: How do you send input to the PS3?
A: Using one of those USB Keyboard/Mouse devices. For example, Eagle Eye (search for it on Amazon).

Q: How do you get the video signal from the PS3 to the iOS device?
A: We do this by using an off the shelf capture device. The capture device connects to the PC, TV, and to the PS3. The result is that a livestream of the PS3's video signal ends up on the PC.

Q: How do you connect to the PC from the iOS device?
A: Using everyAir - our remote desktop application.

Q: How does everyAir understand the game gestures?
A: We're using a custom build of everyAir, and it's hardcoded to understand these gestures. Additionally, it knows how to pipe input to the mouse/kb device in a way that it expects.

Q: Will this be publicly available?
A: We plan to release a fully customizable version at some point in the future.

YouTube - everyAir - play PS3 games on any iOS device (iPhone, iPad, iPod)

Got an ipad2 the weekend. Tried real racing 2 and it is absolutely amazing, console level without a doubt.

16 cars, fast, good graphics, loads of unlocks, nice replays and online multiplayer. Very impressive.

With the new HDTV out capabilities of the new iOS (of which incidentally rr2 have shown off the weekend) it shows how gaming on the iPad could replace a living room console this year possibly.

Got an ipad2 the weekend. Tried real racing 2 and it is absolutely amazing, console level without a doubt.

16 cars, fast, good graphics, loads of unlocks, nice replays and online multiplayer. Very impressive.

With the new HDTV out capabilities of the new iOS (of which incidentally rr2 have shown off the weekend) it shows how gaming on the iPad could replace a living room console this year possibly.

Replace a living room console. Seriously thats a huge statement!

Ipad 2 is a fantastic piece of hardware but come on man, when it comes to software it is not making a threat to the current home consoles.

Do you honestly see people ditching there current consoles for Ipad 2?

Not at first no, but I can certainly see it as an option.

I was on eve web before ipad1 launched saying what a big success it would be and got poo-poo'd too! ;)

If they release a controller I could see it, but until then I doubt it. iPad & iPhone have great games but sometimes the touch controls are really, really frustrating.

The 2D games that utilise the touch controls well are great fun, but I find that the 3D ones usually just feel like cheap knock-offs of better games on other platforms...
i.e. Sports games are fairly unimpressive on the whole on iOS. PES is the perfect example - the iPad/iPhone versions are massively inferior to the PSP versions.

Not are if I mentioned it on my Facebook last night, but slopiskier is an amazingly addictive game!

Basically you just draw snow under a skier to make sure he goes faster and faster. You can draw jumps to do tricks and have to pass through gates to get multipliers. Also avoiding caverns and red gates which kill you.

One of these simple but addictive score attack 5 minute time wasters. 59p.

Back
Top Bottom