Tactics thread PES 2013

Hey fellas.

I have been playing around with the Preset Tactics for the CPU teams and here is a thread I made on another forum with my theorys and sliders. I am still testing things so it will change but I like where I am and wanted to share and get feedback. These are for people who like to play vs the CPU offline and have the CPU be competitive plus play true to life as the real teams do. The tactics are assigned based on statistics from the current domestic league season to ensure they accurately represent the teams!

http://forums.onlyproevolutions.com/viewtopic.php?f=57&t=812&p=12305

BrianU i checked out the link.

One question: If pressure settings are high for ex: 13 but defense line/compactness is deep(8-10)/wide(13-16) does it then 'kind of' negate your attack settings for ex possession play with balanced settings like 7 for Player Support and 7 for Support range?

I noticed that my offensive (AMF-RMF) midfielders were tracking back a lot more with high pressure in a deep/wide formation but Ronaldo and Benzema/Higuain were always 'stuck' to the opposition defence waiting for a (splitting) pass, or to simply keep it wide etc. Would make sense because high pressure settings should equal a high defensive-compact formation in order for it to work correctly 'realistically' so then my players would have to run back otherwise there would be a HUGE gap in between my defenders-attackers.
I wanted to have a mix of possession/counter play in 1 tactic.. and that's exactly what i have. But since i've been playing for 3 seasons in ML i'm not sure whether it's the tactics or overall chemistry that has blossomed lol I'm fairly certain it's a combo of the 2 but i still want to make sure whether the pressure setting doesn't literally mean to press the opposition blindly and in fact is contextual, because i think it can have 'linking' effects for combining play styles.

Shit gets way too complicated.. looks like i'm making stuff up but eh hope you understand what i mean!

Last edited:
Here's my default setup:

3YkxD.jpg

sXxs5.jpg

Player Support 7-9
Support Range 7
Position Switch 6-8
Attack style 10
Pressing 12-14
D-Line 8-12
Compactness 13-16

Not sure I follow entirely but i'll try to respond best I can.

I don't think the Pressing slider would have any effect on your SS/CF away from the ball. I believe it only affects how close the man guarding the guy dribbling the ball plays from him. In any case I lowered the pressing down to 6 for both USER and CPU teams I feel it opens the field a little more and gives space to both teams that was lacking. I am trying to replicate real life soccer so it will probably change again once I get a better grasp of things.

If you want your Forwards to fall back more than you should lower Player Support, if you want them to stay offensive minded generally then you should raise it. This is the one area I wish we had something from FIFA, the arrows that you can set for Offense and Defense coverage.

For your own team's Tactics you can change Player Support, Support Range, Position Switch, Attack Style to whatever you wish you don't have to stay within the posted settings those are only for the CPU teams. You can if you want to but don't have to. Pressing, Defensive Line, and Compactness should be set to what I list if you want an authentic/challenging game vs the CPU however IMO

I found tonight that Top Player is a better option than Superstar. I always set the difficulty to the highest when I play any sports game but Superstar seems to make the CPU not follow the Team Tactics and they become one dimensional making a beeline for the goal, spamming through balls and crosses not playing their own style.

I was having trouble getting Arsenal and the other Possession teams to play short passes/back passes and discovered setting their Team Tactic 1 to 'Possession Game' and modifying that rather than modifying 'Standard' made a huge difference along with Top Player.

Last edited:
What i mean is this:

My teamstyle-formation is kind of buildup possession mixed with counter play when i lose the ball in 1. But i think if you tweak the pressure settings hand in hand with defense line and support/range you can get mixed results (which could be a good thing varying per team of course) But i'm not sure whether it's legit or that it's purely chemistry.
So if you could test or happen to know this then maybe you could also finetune the CPU tactics according to these variables..
For ex my strikers don't ever really pressure.. very occasional and they don't track back either. But my creative offensive midfielders do A LOT, but sometimes very deep (contextual) in their own half. But when i get the ball it's a pass and boom away. It's like i can play very deep in my own half and counter with 1-3 passes or build up slowly in one.

I believe it only affects how close the man guarding the guy dribbling the ball plays from him
This.. i'm thinking it's a more than just this 'alone'

Come to think of it.. it would actually make sense. Made my whole point irrelevant

Last edited:
Hi guys
I would like to be involved in a big tactics thread like that...
And my project is to create different tactics for every single european team in the game. It will be hard but I will do it.
I got only the xbox version at the moment, but my project is going to be done on PC.
We could put together some gameplay mod and custom tactics.

If we still investigate about tactic sliders we can do it.
My opinions (I told it to Brian into another forum)
CPU still does few possession game. Barcelona isn't able to manage possession for 55-60% every single game.
So, few build up by CPU teams. Pressing seems has nothing to do with the man OFF THE BALL. It seems to concern on the ball defender distance.
Teams length on the pict is still unrealistic. Too much space between the lines. I think maybe it occurs when a team has a too high value on support range. Every guy goes into the space and then there's too much distance with the defenders.
Compactness concerns team depth. In real life most part of teams play very compact on defense.
What do you think about all that?

I think the space between the lines happens irrespective of tactical setup. There's ALWAYS a huge, empty space between the defence and attack.

some things are hardcoded or something i guess
anyway sliders are depending on each other and are context sensitive
e.g. set up defence line 4 but complain about high def. line, this can have several reasons

the update is here so.

Tactics are done for:
Arsenal
Chelsea
Everton
Liverpool
Man City
Man United
Stoke
Spurs

Barca
Madrid

AC Milan
Juventus

Bayern
Dortmund

I'll release them sometime, possibly this weekend.

Brian has made some good discoveries it seems mainly with how the CPU use 1,2,3,4 tactics how they change them

did much testing with liverpool, AC Milan and Real Madrid, thye are better programmed this year and dynamic when used it the right order which is what i have done.

Barca formation has changed, i moved the full backs in so they appear more narrow, gives a great effect in that when they go down the wing they look to cut inside, when you put anyone out wide they just look to cross.

My Spanish friend she says that Valencia weren't playing great football at the start of this season, how they are now? I have seen nothing of them.

Also people seem to be shitting themselves looking at the defenders being so wide apart, I'll say again, its the same story since PES 2011, no matter how wide apart or how narrow you set your team up, the setting only take effect when you have the ball, off the ball set itself off purely on what positions you give to each player, if you ave 4 at the back, they will defend and work together in a organized line regardless.

Last edited:
Barcelona isn't able to manage possession for 55-60% every single game.

It depends on the opposition.

They have so much possession because it takes two to tango. The oppositions sit back very very deep which is what gives them the possession, if we aren't giving teams the defensive tactics to do this Barca just motor through you, theres no need for them to pass the ball around if Xavi, Messi and Iniesta just take advantage of the holes in opposition defence.

I have decided against giving them a LW and a RW because on the game they just sit out wide and don't get involved with the passing, making them all second strikers, they still use the wings, every single team regardless of set up will use the width of the pitch.

The way teams are set up using their icons are just as important as the tactic sliders.

I've done:
Juventus, but i'm testing them again to see if they are correct.
West Ham
Swansea
Newcastle
Liverpool
Bayern
Dortmund
Schalke (need a bit of testing)

I plan to get done Marseille, PSG, Lille and Montpellier

Taking a little break for now. I'll probably upload a ton of other teams next week.

Ok I start with Napoli which is my team. Pretty easy to do team tactics.
Here are two formations and sliders (same for both formations)
I don't have the DLC 2 so the two changes are : Behrami for Dzemaili in the middle. And Gamberini or Britos for Aronica

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/203/napoli1a.jpg
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/3/napoli2b.jpg
Sliders are :
Player support : 15
Support Range : 8
Position switch : 7
Att Style : 6
Pressing : 10
Defensive line : 11
Compactness : 14

Ok guys here we go with Lazio
Those are two formations for them.
Changes you could made is to put Ederson in the starting 11 instead of Gonzalez.

lazio2o.jpg

lazio1t.jpg

Here are the slider settings (standard)
Player support : 13
Support Range : 7
Position switch : 13
Att Style : 8
Pressing : 12
Defensive line : 12
Compactness : 6

NEXT TEAMS I'm going to do :
ROMA , FIORENTINA, SIENA, SAMPDORIA
I don't want to do Inter now because the Manager Stramaccioni in changing team playstyle every sunday at the moment.

Last edited:
Thanks for posting these.

Now to go about adding them all to my save - should be fun :P

Its good to use this
www.101greatgoals.com

Forget who scored, those stats are misleading, those are only good really for lineups

Its best to try and watch as much footage of a team as possible to get a good view on how they play.

Hi Klashman :)
Obviously for Serie A teams I've seen a lot of matches before posting this.
Whoscored is good especially for starting 11 and some stats which are correct.

I'm waiting for the DLC 2 (because at the moment I can play only by xbox. I'm waiting for my pc come back :D) and then I will post other 4 italian teams.

Love it, keep it up, just with Lazio and Napoli, should we give them long ball and possession game vaules for slots 3 and 4?

When does cpu exactly switch on tactics 3 and 4? I think when they are down and up by two or more right?

About Napoli I can tell you for sure that the team play possession when even if we are down. We never put high ball in the box from midfield or defence cause we don't have players to do that. If we are up by two, maybe you can switch to an all out defence ..because we play solid defence trying to keep back the possession and go counter attack.

About Lazio yes, we should gave them long ball and possession.

Last edited:
Ok guys, four more teams from SERIE A for you!!
Fiorentina, Siena, Chievo(that has changed its manager two weeks ago), Catania.
Forget about the overall of each players I just changed their names to put a real starting 11 (cause we don't have a DLC 2 for XBOX 360)

CATANIA
cataniav.png

FIORENTINA
fiorentin.png

CHIEVO
chievoa.png

SIENA
sienag.png

I made only two or one formations and standard tactics 1-2 (that are the same) . For 3 and 4 custom tactics formation is the same, but I have to understand more about preset tactics like "long ball" , "possession" ect. And WHEN CPU uses 3 or 4. Can anyone help me with that?
I'm waiting the DLC 2 . I'm gonna do ROMA, SAMPDORIA, TORINO.

Back
Top Bottom