PES 2010 - Become a Legend

Nothing new, looks still the same, little bit changed menu and u have manaager bar so u can see how much is manager pleased with u, however AI is still stupid

They have integrated the UEFA Champions League and UEFA Europa League into Become A Legend. Also there are more player awards. Thats about it.

CL/Europa in BAL has actually sold me on the game, I think it will add a bit of achievement to signing for a top club.

yes, great news indeed, CL and EL really adds some achievement into the game. Must be lovely to see our player enter the field while the CL hymne is being played. Great!

from pesfan..

PES 2010 BAL

Become a Legend was the mode I played the most on PES 09, and without much news released in the build up I wanted to find out how it had changed.

Starting off, it’s the same process as the last game. Pick a name, appearance etc and then play the trial game with other youngsters. After a bit of experimentation, it doesn’t seem like your performance affects your starting stats in anyway. In one trial I scored twice and finished with an 8.0 rating and the stats were only marginally different to a trial where I got a 6.0 rating.

I chose to sign for Le Mans from the teams available, but regretted that almost instantly after checking their formation. 4-5-1. I was a striker. Going through the menus and everything looked pretty much the same, but with a new lick of paint to match the rest of the game.

To get into the first team, you follow the same process of a series of inter-squad matches where good performances see you move to the team with bibs, and then onto the bench. What strikes you the first time you play a match is the improved graphics. I know everyone’s banged on about them for the last few months, but even on my old tv it’s pretty impressive. The training stadium has changed this year. There’s only one stand and the pitch resembles the local park more than Anfield which adds to the realism.

I managed to bag an assist my first match which gave me a 7.5 rating. Once you leave the match screen, a new screen pops up showing the manager’s rating of you. This was something the last game lacked when starting off. You were always in the dark about how long you would have to struggle in the inter-squad matches before getting a shot at the first team, but now you have this handy screen with a progress bar to give you some sort of indication how close to the team you are. A 7.5 rating filled roughly 20% of the bar up and I was off to a good start.

A number of average games followed as I struggled to make any sort of telling contribution to the games but the bar was still filling up, albeit slower than I anticipated. Week 6 finally got me into the better side for the inter-squad match, and after a decent 6.5 game I made the bench for the match against Bordeaux.

Brought on just past the hour mark, I was the lone striker with the score 0-0. Almost as soon as I was introduced, the ball broke from a Bordeaux corner and I found myself running at the lone defender inside their half. I fluffed the chance though as I overran the ball! A few minutes later, I picked the ball up outside the box, beat a defender and whipped a low cross across the goal where one of the midfielders popped up to score the only goal of the game and give Le Mans the unlikely victory.

That cameo earned me a 7.5 rating and the progress bar shot up again to the 60% mark. I made the starting XI after a couple more substitute appearances and I’ve managed to stay there ever since despite only scoring the one goal in ten starts. If you have a bad game, the bar will drop slightly and you may find yourself out of the team.

One new thing you’ll notice when playing BaL is the camera distance at set pieces. As an attacker, I was usually camped on the halfway line at opposition corners and the camera zoomed out to almost bird’s eye view to fit everything onto the screen. Unfortunately the camera isn’t as good when your team has a corner and you’re standing at the near post. You’ll find yourself off screen when the corner is taken and those easy near post headers you scored in the last game will be that little bit harder to pull off.

The main problem I encountered with BaL on PES09 was the poor AI from your teammates, so I pleasantly surprised in the opening games when I saw my own team craft some silky passing moves together in the final third to create openings. They still tend to prefer attacking down the flanks and hitting crosses more in hope than expectation, but they are capable of attacking through the middle as well. Defensively, there are still keystone cop moments, but as a whole they are more organised and your keeper performs a bit better between the sticks. I do have a slight issue with the lack of closing down from the centre halves when an attacker is running at them, but that works for both teams so anybody creating a Gerrard type player might have fun blasting in shots from distance.

Both the Champions League and Europa Leagues are fully integrated like in Master League, but real currency isn’t used as your played is paid in points. Match ratings are still a bit iffy and leave you scratching your head at times. I've haven't had chance to try out the online Legends yet as online isn't available yet. One new feature is the ability to export your player into the other game modes. This is done through the menus in Become a Legend and your exported player uses a slot in the 'Created Players' section.

Overall, Become a Legend is near identical to the previous game but with tweaks here and there. The AI is slightly sharper, you get more feedback from the manager and you can export your player into other modes. It’s not as ground breaking as the Master League overhaul but still good fun when you get into it.

How do ratings work? Do you have an indicator like in FIFA to tell you that you've got points for a successful pass or shot, or losing points for not making a pass?

I'm hoping it's not like FIFA where if you cross a ball and the striker doesn't get to it, you get marked down for it. Really annoys me :CURSE:

Very much looking forward to this.

How do ratings work? Do you have an indicator like in FIFA to tell you that you've got points for a successful pass or shot, or losing points for not making a pass?

I'm hoping it's not like FIFA where if you cross a ball and the striker doesn't get to it, you get marked down for it. Really annoys me :CURSE:

You get an overall rating after the match, you dont seen any points tally during the game though. You can allocate points to increase your stats in the areas you want through weekly training.

BAL is awesome Dags if you havent played it before. It could still do with work, but couldnt everything.

Since early reviews suggest that nothing really important has been changed in BAL since 2009, maybe this old post of mine might be helpful (PC version, PES 2009):

http://forums.evo-web.co.uk/showpost.php?p=1605141&postcount=336

As Jimmy said, there aren't any indicators suggesting how well you perform during the match (besides coach pulling you out of the match way too early - but we know what that really means :) ).

And yes, unsuccessful crosses count as bad passes and in the end they may impact your final rating negatively :(

Personally, I do not expect (m)any changes in ratings system in 2010.

Started a BAL yesterday :D Decided on AMF role, played my scout game 0-0! Did alright and joined West Ham, turned down Hull and Pompy.

Took 3-4 games to get onto the bench, then another 3-4 games to stake a claim in the starting 11. Now playing regularly in the CMF role for the hammers, we 4th in the league and won the FA cup! Got 4 more league games to play until 4th is secure but have an 8 point gap to Villa in 5th so looking good.

The teams seem to play better football this year, they keep the ball better. My team has played some pretty good football at times and I've not felt any real frustration so far... which I did at times in last years game. The only time my team mates wont pass is when they're through on goal, I support them and find a good position for an easy tap in but they don't pass. Understandable though as most footballers wont pass in this scenario anyway, I think the better the team the more likely they are to make that kind of pass. This was the case in last years game too so I assume it will be the case this year as well.

So far pretty much the same as last year apart from the Champs league and Euro league comps are in, which is a nice touch.

Also it seems the international teams now play friendlies, which is completely new. I haven't been called up yet but I saw a mention of international friendlies in the game tips section on legends mode so I assume it's in. It said the international friendlies are a great time to prove yourself, I think that was the game tip.

Edit: Pipped Man City to 3rd and got into the England world cup squad?! Played 3 games in the world cup coming on as a sub in the 2nd half each time. Scored 2 goals against Saudi Arabia, the manager bar is almost full now for England :D May be able to take Lampards place in the team as he's had three 5.5 ratings. On the club front I had offers from big teams after one season! Which didn't happen in 09, least not to me. Arsenal, Man City and Juventus offered me contracts along with my club West Ham. I've gone for Juventus. So will need to prove myself again as Diego has the AMF position right now and he's not half bad :)

Last edited:
i'm finding it slightly easier this year - wonder if you start with better stats? i found the first 4 seasons really frustrating with pes 2009. having said that, i used to be able to score quite frequently from corners but haven't been able to yet and i'm on on my 2nd season.
hey ho

i'm finding it slightly easier this year - wonder if you start with better stats? i found the first 4 seasons really frustrating with pes 2009. having said that, i used to be able to score quite frequently from corners but haven't been able to yet and i'm on on my 2nd season.
hey ho

It's definately less frustrating this year. I think the teams play much better football this time around so it's much more enjoyable.

Corners are different now yes, there's no running near post and smashing a close range header in anymore. The corners are met around 10 yards out so it's very difficult to get a powerful enough header on target.

Hi, I would like to ask if you know what number the player's face created in BaL? I meant to be both assigned to the 505th Lampard So if something is even players created to determine the BaL me in there to import your own face produced, otherwise I know I can do it directly in the game but is not it.

Why cant you play in the reserves instead of just games against the first team, its really boring the shit out of me, I play on top player and the a.i is a joke, they ignore you 90% of the time, they never pass when your in space or in a great position.

Yup...bad positioning...it also helps when you score early on.
My player scored in both his first trainingmatch and his first team debut.
He also works and lot and steals balls from the opposition's defenders...that results in goals (for him) and assists.

Yup...bad positioning...it also helps when you score early on.
My player scored in both his first trainingmatch and his first team debut.
He also works and lot and steals balls from the opposition's defenders...that results in goals (for him) and assists.

Exact same for me. If you score early on your team mates have more confidence in you and will pass it more freely. If you miss alot of chances they will be reluctant to pass to you.

That has been in all incarnations of BAL since Fantatista mode. I'm surprised you would not be aware of that Daz?

Last edited:
how is it bad positioning when im in acres of space, all the cpu has to do is square it but decides to play it back to a defender who is being marked?

Exact same for me. If you score early on your team mates have more confidence in you and will pass it more freely. If you miss alot of chances they will be reluctant to pass to you.

That has been in all incarnations of BAL since Fantatista mode. I'm surprised you would not be aware of that?

I do score goals and have made a lot of assists when they eventually do pass the ball, and even if I wasnt playing well that wouldnt stop them from passing it too me, Nani always gets the ball in real life and we all know hes shit.

Well dazfeeder, if you don't like it on top player, decrease the difficulty, maybe it's more enjoyable on a lesser level.
Without wanting to single you out (you're a very nice guy) i don't understand people's obsession about wanting to play on the hardest difficulty. My main gripe with PES the last years is that the AI is cheating on the highest levels. This made PES208 and PES2009 unplayable for me. In PES2010 i haven't even bothered with "top player"...
I cansay in all honesty that i really like my BAL game and that my team mates behave like every professional football player should behave.
Judging from the reactions it seems that there are other people who have a similar experience...

Oh and one more thing: BAL is a mode where patience is allowed...that can be frustrating at times. Last year i gave up because my player did noit develop quicly enough IMO. A second attempt proved more rewarding and now i'm really hooked.

I played 5 training matches all together before my first team debut. Not a slog by any means but worth it.

My first season is done in Holland and there was a nice piece in the commentary in the final game. We(NAC Breda) had just won the league and he said that most of this team will probably be away to play in a bigger league such as Spain, England and Italy with scouts from those countrys here watching.

I have been called up by Scotland to the World Cup. Very happy with my progress so far.

I am playing on Professional

Back
Top Bottom