FIFA 14 Sliders

I put it so high because despite the fact I'm playing with only English Championship level players at Sheffield Wednesday their first touch is almost perfect every time, in fact I'm probably going to raise it much higher for me! :)

I actually think it should be even higher. Now that I've ratcheted up to World Class (with your wonderful sliders- thanks!) I can go 15 minutes of game time without getting the ball of the CPU as they gleeful ping it around in front of me. Can't get near the feckers.

Also have noticed on World Class occassionally the CPU play their way out of ridiculous situations in defense. Have seen a full back play it right back into their centre backs surrounded by attackers, only to pull some incredible one-touch triangles to get out.

One more question - is anyone else still seeing that every 'clearance' from the CPU lands at hte feet of their strikers/ AMF? I can't tell if it's because the player switching is slow, so your defender doesn't react, or if the CPU jsut automatically plays it to themselves.

both sliding and standing tackles. to me they seem a lot more serviceable. practically, the only way i would get the ball back in fifa 13 was intercepting passes. in 14 i'm being very successful in really getting the ball back putting my foot there.

OK - I get you. Yeah; if anything it's probably a bit too easy to slide the ball away from the AI now. You still can't deliberately really clatter a player though from what I've seen so far.

OK - I get you. Yeah; if anything it's probably a bit too easy to slide the ball away from the AI now. You still can't deliberately really clatter a player though from what I've seen so far.

Seriously? On what difficulty level?

Playing on WC with default sliders, I find defending pretty darn tough, to the point that I have to over-emphasize containment and rarely risk a tackle. Because now that there's real momentum in the game, I find you can be really fucked if you go for a challenge and fail.

I actually think it should be even higher. Now that I've ratcheted up to World Class (with your wonderful sliders- thanks!) I can go 15 minutes of game time without getting the ball of the CPU as they gleeful ping it around in front of me. Can't get near the feckers.

Also have noticed on World Class occassionally the CPU play their way out of ridiculous situations in defense. Have seen a full back play it right back into their centre backs surrounded by attackers, only to pull some incredible one-touch triangles to get out.

One more question - is anyone else still seeing that every 'clearance' from the CPU lands at hte feet of their strikers/ AMF? I can't tell if it's because the player switching is slow, so your defender doesn't react, or if the CPU jsut automatically plays it to themselves.

Personally I think first-touch is pretty well balanced on the default setting - especially if you're not messing with other sliders that slow the game down - but I do agree that the CPU can be a bit too good at keeping possession when it wants to, and for that I'd say adjusting the passing slider is the way to go. Maybe a mixture of both, but I'd be careful of going too far with either or else you can seriously gimp the CPU's ability to create chances.

I put it so high because despite the fact I'm playing with only English Championship level players at Sheffield Wednesday their first touch is almost perfect every time, in fact I'm probably going to raise it much higher for me! :)

So the higher the number on first touch control, the higher the error is?

Question to the slider experts: if I want to make things easier without changing the difficulty level, what are the best ways to do so?

Would the simplest thing to do be increase User Marking and decrease CPU marking?

theoretically yes, but i feel like the marking slider is too subtle this year, i have to pay attention really hard to see any difference when i change it. so i don't really know how efficient it can be for difficulty tuning.

my preferred method is raising cpu pass error and/or lowering user pass error (it makes a difference even in manual) until it feels right. i like to set their first touch slightly higher than mine too to make them lose a bit of time in each pass. by how much i set this difference has also an influence in difficulty, although a bit more subtle.

marking is my 3rd choice, btw.

if the problem is on shooting instead of possession, shot error all the way, of course.

Last edited:
theoretically yes, but i feel like the marking slider is too subtle this year, i have to pay attention really hard to see any difference when i change it. so i don't really know how efficient it can be for difficulty tuning.

my preferred method is raising cpu pass error and/or lowering user pass error (it makes a difference even in manual) until it feels right. i like to set their first touch slightly higher than mine too to make them lose a bit of time in each pass. by how much i set this difference has also an influence in difficulty, although a bit more subtle.

marking is my 3rd choice, btw.

if the problem is on shooting instead of possession, shot error all the way, of course.

Hmm, I dunno. Most slider configs that I've played with that use higher settings for CPU pass error and first touch too often gimp the CPU's ability to have quality build up play. I like that challenge.

My problem is conceding far too many goals from CPU lofted through-balls, and from headers off of corners and crosses. Right now my game is unbalanced unfavorably towards those types of goals for the CPU, and it just doesn't feel right. Part of it is poor programming - there's definitely some terrible marking and player switching issues.

But I had been hoping to find a way to tighten things up defensively with sliders so it's a bit more realistic. I played Chelsea vs Hull City in CM and Hull had so many breakaway chances that came from lofted through balls to wide open attackers, and often there's little I can do about because by the time I was switched to a defender it was already too late.

Then on the other end of the pitch, I'm just finding things exceptionally tight in the CPU's defensive third. I just suck at attacking play in FIFA 14. Some of it has to do with old bad habits, but a lot of it is that CPU reaction times are just too fast for me. The obvious thing would be to lower the difficulty setting but then it becomes unbalanced the other way the CPU possession and chance creation stats drop unrealistically low.

So basically I'm looking for a way to decrease the amount of "cheap cheaty" goals that I concede from wide open headers and lofted through balls, while loosening the CPU defense so that I can create a more realistic number quality chances.

Btw Placebo, I have no idea how you manage to play with passing speed at 70 and power bar at 60. I tried your settings and holy crap I was firing the ball across the pitch like it was being shot out of a cannon!

No doubt about it - slide tackles are a lot easier this year. Too easy in fact.

On what settings, default? Because when playing on default settings, or at least without messing with Accel, Sprint, or game play speed, I find tackling pretty darn tough on the higher difficulties.

How many injuries do you usually get? I have put injury frequency at 75 and severity to 50 and I still have yet to have more than two players injured at the same in my CM. For the most time I have one or none injury. I have been playing for one and a half seasons.

There's really no need for good backup players unless you have 2-5 players injured at the same time.

Hmm, I dunno. Most slider configs that I've played with that use higher settings for CPU pass error and first touch too often gimp the CPU's ability to have quality build up play. I like that challenge.
this is to balance with the gimped ability to have quality buildup play we have when we use full manual controls. things get even uglier at legendary, you just can't match the speed and accuracy of their passing strings if you don't do that.

if playing with assisted controls, i'd agree with you.

How many injuries do you usually get? I have put injury frequency at 75 and severity to 50 and I still have yet to have more than two players injured at the same in my CM. For the most time I have one or none injury. I have been playing for one and a half seasons.

There's really no need for good backup players unless you have 2-5 players injured at the same time.

I've played dozens of matches, injury slider between 50-75, and seen one injury.

this is to balance with the gimped ability to have quality buildup play we have when we use full manual controls. things get even uglier at legendary, you just can't match the speed and accuracy of their passing strings if you don't do that.

if playing with assisted controls, i'd agree with you.

The thing is, if you're trying to balance the difficulty of playing with manual controls, messing with the CPU's ability to attack isn't the way to go about it, since manual controls have little to do with defending. If you want to counterbalance the added difficulty of playing manual, the logical thing to do would be to make the CPU defending weaker.

It only makes sense to adjust the sliders influencing CPU buildup and chance creation when that aspect isn't yielding the right results for you; i.e. the CPU is dominating possession, creating too many chances, etc.

Anyone has a good slider settings for assisted controls

Honestly, if there's one thing I've learned about slider settings it's that it's all about personal preference and individual ability level - look all over the web and you'll see that recommended slider settings can vary quite a bit.

So just pick some settings, or the defaults, and adjust. IMO the first thing to figure out is which Accel and Sprint settings suit you. After that you might want to adjust passing, shooting, and marking, depending upon difficulty level. After that I think it's pretty minor tweaking.

You can definitely play settings that are recommended for manual with assisted/semi settings. I know that a lot of people are enjoying playing with Orion's settings with different assistance settings. Depending on your ability level, manual settings might be a little too easy for you, and you can simply tweak a few things to make it better balanced.

i think all it would take to convert a manual slider set to assisted play would be matching the shot error values and matching or considerably lowering the gap of pass errors as well. if you don't do this, it will still be playable, but probably far too easy.

Last edited:
If my shot accuracy is ridiculously high - like 85% on target - but I'm rarely scoring goals and most of my shots are going straight at the keeper, what do I do?

I'm playing on semi shooting. Do I switch to manual/assisted?

Do I decrease CPU goalkeeper ability? (It's set at 45 now.)

Do I decrease User shot error? (It's at 50 now.)

I just played Newcastle in my CM as Chelsea. I had 13 shots and 11 on target. Loads of these were great opportunities but most ended up as easy saves for the keeper. So frustrating...

I had to do this too, there's definitely something iffy about the keeper/shooting logic.

Yeah, something doesn't seem right when you're having 15 shots a game with maybe one goal and the CPU shoots twice and score both. I've had too many of these types of games on WC and above and it's been like this in FIFA for a while.

I ended up decreasing shot error and cpu gk ability, but since I was also having the problem that most of my shots were going straight at the keeper, I chose to switch to manual to see if I'd get more variety. That did help but now I have too many easy chances that go way off target - you know the type, where you've got a sitter but shoot wide by 10 meters!

i had to use staggered goalkeepers in fifa 13 because of this. only found balance when i set user gk at 65 and cpu gk at 56.

thankfully, i'm not experiencing the same issue this year.

Yeah, something doesn't seem right when you're having 15 shots a game with maybe one goal and the CPU shoots twice and score both. I've had too many of these types of games on WC and above and it's been like this in FIFA for a while.

I ended up decreasing shot error and cpu gk ability, but since I was also having the problem that most of my shots were going straight at the keeper, I chose to switch to manual to see if I'd get more variety. That did help but now I have too many easy chances that go way off target - you know the type, where you've got a sitter but shoot wide by 10 meters!

i made a post in operation sports about these worries you.

sorry for calling you whiner :P

"i'll just throw sume numbers regarding shooting and goalkeepers

i've read a discussion in evo-web with some people complaining they would shoot 10 times in a game and not score, while cpu will shoot 2 times and score twice, that old good whining you guys know.

actually, i had noticed this kind of complain was true to some extent in fifa 13, and this is why i ended with a 9-point handicap in gk ability in my sliders last year. it was the only way i found to mantain cpu shooting the same ammount as me, but not scoring much more than me as a result.

i haven't really noticed anything like that this time, but the complains in evo-web made me worried, so i decided to check my stats. i'm taking note of the results and sliders in the majority of the games i play. unfortunately, not many of them were played with 55 cpu shot error and 48 gk ability, but the numbers i have i think they say something already.

this is only considering the games played with 55 shot error and 48 gk ability, cause they're the settings i'm using now.

user (sample: 17 games)

shot accuracy: 51.6%
goals per shot: 14.2%
cpu's gk efficiency vs shots on target: 72.3%

cpu (sample: 9 games)

shot accuracy: 52.6%
goals per shot: 17.1%
user's gk efficiency vs shots on target: 68.5%

so you can see cpu has a slight advantage on this sample, but the sample is very low, so a decent ammount of variance is to be expected, and the advantage is very slight, to the point of being negligible. my conclusion here is ea really seems to have got it right when programming the scoring efficiency of cpu strikers this year, they're very close to what a manual human player can achieve (at least they are for me, and i'm "average to the extreme" when it comes to skill so i believe i'm a good parameter, hehe).."

Hi,hope some of you can help me with this?
shot error-higher number more shots off target?
pass error-higher number more errors?
Goalkeeper ability-40 and he will make more mistakes?
first touch control-60 is more mistakes?

a bit confused about when lower number makes it worse or better....

Back
Top Bottom