Tactics thread PES 2013

Ok guys, four more teams from SERIE A for you!!
Fiorentina, Siena, Chievo(that has changed its manager two weeks ago), Catania.
Forget about the overall of each players I just changed their names to put a real starting 11 (cause we don't have a DLC 2 for XBOX 360)

CATANIA
cataniav.png

FIORENTINA
fiorentin.png

CHIEVO
chievoa.png

SIENA
sienag.png

I made only two or one formations and standard tactics 1-2 (that are the same) . For 3 and 4 custom tactics formation is the same, but I have to understand more about preset tactics like "long ball" , "possession" ect. And WHEN CPU uses 3 or 4. Can anyone help me with that?
I'm waiting the DLC 2 . I'm gonna do ROMA, SAMPDORIA, TORINO.

Fantastic work.

Just wondering about the wing backs in the 352 formations, one seems to be a LB and the other a RM, i'm assuming this is deliberate. But you hve done this for both Siena and Fiorentina

For tactics 3:

This should be a very attacking formation, this is used when the team is losing and needs a goal.

Use either Possession game, All out attack, or Quick counter

For tactics 4:

This should be either a defensive formation or counter attacking formation.

Use either all out defense, or Long ball.

Remember my friend, you do not have to do this, it is not mandatory since many of the teams may like Barca or Swansea stick to one style of play regardless of the scoreline.

Ok guys, four more teams from SERIE A for you!!
Fiorentina, Siena, Chievo(that has changed its manager two weeks ago), Catania.
Forget about the overall of each players I just changed their names to put a real starting 11 (cause we don't have a DLC 2 for XBOX 360)

CATANIA

I made only two or one formations and standard tactics 1-2 (that are the same) . For 3 and 4 custom tactics formation is the same, but I have to understand more about preset tactics like "long ball" , "possession" ect. And WHEN CPU uses 3 or 4. Can anyone help me with that?
I'm waiting the DLC 2 . I'm gonna do ROMA, SAMPDORIA, TORINO.

:WORSHIP:

Very nice work. I would like to see your version of Juventus (my team) and also highly unconventional Zeman's Roma.

Fantastic work.

Just wondering about the wing backs in the 352 formations, one seems to be a LB and the other a RM, i'm assuming this is deliberate. But you hve done this for both Siena and Fiorentina

For tactics 3:

This should be a very attacking formation, this is used when the team is losing and needs a goal.

Use either Possession game, All out attack, or Quick counter

For tactics 4:

This should be either a defensive formation or counter attacking formation.

Use either all out defense, or Long ball.

Remember my friend, you do not have to do this, it is not mandatory since many of the teams may like Barca or Swansea stick to one style of play regardless of the scoreline.

Thanks for help with tactics 3 and 4! :)

Yeah I wanted to set for Fiorentina and Siena their "left midfielder" as LB and I explain to you why. Pasqual and Del Grosso played most part of their life in a 4 line defense. And when those teams are on defensive side, they often play a 4 man defense with the LB who helps the 3 CB (and the right CB who often "slides" slightly towards the outside).

ZEMAN TACTICS IS ON THE LINE(it will be funny :) ) . I Just want to wait for DLC 2.0 for xbox.
Anyway today I may post something more if I have time :D

FOR JUVENTUS I'm going to wait the Klashman version that will be great :D and then we can have a discussion about it!

I decided to go with other 4 serie A teams. Those teams have very structured formations and tactics because of their manager. They make few changes every game. Furthermore these managers have played these styles for years.
Let's start!

TORINO
toroh.png

Absolutely cracking result!! Seems to see the real Torino.

UDINESE
udine.png

For Udinese they sometimes play a 3-5-1-1 with Maicosel on AMF and Di Natale as striker.

SAMPDORIA
sampd.png

PARMA
parmal.png

We will see during the season if Amauri will become a 11 starter.

Hope you enjoy it!
I'm still testing Zeman's Roma. And I want to wait few days for Inter because I want to see another game this weekend (Stramaccioni did a lot of adjustments during the season)

TEAMS LEFT FOR SERIE A:
Roma, Inter, Genoa, Pescara, Bologna, Cagliari, Palermo, Atalanta

This day was so good! I had a lot of testing with a lot of teams!
Here we are other 3 teams.

PALERMO
Gasperini subbed in as manager 4 weeks ago and he will try to give his print to the team. A very offensive mentality, with a lot of risk on the defensive side.
palermou.png

ATALANTA
Two formations.
atalantac.png

BOLOGNA
Pioli is a very solid manager in Italy, especially for middle table teams like Bologna. They play aggressive solid football. Not very funny, but it makes money. DIamanti and Gilardino are playing amazingly together.
bologna.png

Serie A teams left : INTER, ROMA, PESCARA, CAGLIARI,GENOA.
Roma is still on the line, needs testing but it's very funny. Also Inter is on a good point. Cagliari has changed manager just one weekd ago and I would like to see how the play next week.

UDINESE
udine.png

For Udinese they sometimes play a 3-5-1-1 with Maicosel on AMF and Di Natale as striker.

Great!

One question: you made Udinese defending quite high up the pitch. But I thought they are an extremely counter-attacking team this year and always defend deep before launching their typical Guidolinesque fast assaults.

About Juventus.. I think you also should put their tactics how do you see it here and then we can compare it with klashman's discussing different points, especially since I think you guys both use a bit different standarts for sliders.

Klashman, I think it would be a good idea to work out the best tactical templates for tranditional formations (4-4-2, 4-2-2-2, etc) and post them as a general guide in the first post of this thread.

Great!

One question: you made Udinese defending quite high up the pitch. But I thought they are an extremely counter-attacking team this year and always defend deep before launching their typical Guidolinesque fast assaults.

About Juventus.. I think you also should put their tactics how do you see it here and then we can compare it with klashman's discussing different points, especially since I think you guys both use a bit different standarts for sliders.

As Klashman said, icon position affects a team especially when they have the ball.
Benatia and Domizzi partecipate well at the possession ball phase of the team. Especially Benatia: he often go over the midfield lane.
That's why I decided to set Udinese a little bit more high.
Maybe you could try setting the def. line at 10 or less :) It could be good.

That's ok I'm going to post my Juventus and other Serie A teams. :) But my priority is to finish other teams that Klash haven't done yet :)

Ok Guys!
Other 3 teams with explanation! Hope you will enjoy that.

INTER
At the start of the season, Stramaccioni played an offensive based 4-3-2-1. But now, he changed his mind because the team started very bad especially on the defensive side. Now he is playing a 3 man defense. The team is more oculate. I could say that they are becoming a defensive oriented team. But they are talented on offense with Cassano, Milito and Snejder. In last weeks Coutinho played very good in Snejder role, but Wesley is still my starter.
interw.png

ROMA
Finally , Zeman crazy tactics. Hope you will like it. Zeman always plays a 4-3-3 . The two outside defenders (RB and LB) give a great push on offense as well as the two midfielders (De Rossi and Florenzi). Totti and Lamela are SS. They start a little bit from outside to cut strong into the area. The style is short passing oriented, with crazy pressing and def.line high. You must know that the manager is in trouble with De Rossi and Osvaldo. Seems like there are some problems between the manager and these two players. We Will see what will happen.
romam.png

GENOA
Classic mid-table team with a solid manager, Luigi De Canio. They play in the middle and they have a big problem to solve. How can Borriello and Immobile coexist in the same team? They are two strikers with similar attributes . Genoa is playing with both of them in the first 11.
genoay.png

Why isn't Bradley in the Roma lineup , also many of the players have low stats for there position...

Because De Rossi is the starter also if he's having problems with the manager. Tachtsidis and Florenzi are startes too at the moment. Maybe Tachtsidis could be replaced by Bradley.

About overall ... don't worry, I just changed names to the players into the edit to show you the tactics with correct names. I don't have DLC 2 that's why I didn't put the REAL players into the REAL positions...

I'm having the best games with these tactics in exhibition mode, I can't recommend them enough.

Though I was beating Napoli 2-0 yesterday with Atletico Madrid (Falcao!)in a CL Exhibition match and instead of using preset 3 they modified preset 1 to a very offensive 3-1-3-3 formation.

I'm having the best games with these tactics in exhibition mode, I can't recommend them enough.

Though I was beating Napoli 2-0 yesterday with Atletico Madrid (Falcao!)in a CL Exhibition match and instead of using preset 3 they modified preset 1 to a very offensive 3-1-3-3 formation.

I'm glad to hear that!

Hmmmmmm thanks very much, it's always good to see people interested in this stuff - although I'm not convinced that PES2013 really honours this work you've done. I mean, it works better than in PES2012 where tactics meant literally nothing, but...

I tried a game against Barcelona (because they have the most extreme tactical set-up) to see how well these work in this game. I put an extra man in my midfield and set all my tactics to ultra-defensive, to encourage them to come forwards and show me their stuff. In the end, I had 60% possession and didn't feel like I was being pressed at all; every time they got the ball the whole Barca team just started sprinting up the pitch, and every single pass was a long forward pass.

Despite me setting my own defensive line to 4 and Player Support to 8, every single Barca goal was exactly the same: I lose possession on the edge of the Barca box, they play 2 passes maximum before my central defenders run away from each other so that Barca can hit a massive through ball from deep in their own half for Lionel Messi to run onto. Seriously, they scored 4 goals (25 minute game) and every single one involved Messi running in a perfectly straight line, unchallenged, from the halfway line. So much for tiki taka; so much for my deep defence. At no point in the game did they string any sideways or backwards passes together - not even once. It was just pure kick and rush from them.

I really appreciate all this work - I used to do similar stuff myself - but sadly I think that in PES2013 AI-controlled teams just play one way, Konami's way. The tactics certainly make a difference for the team you're controlling yourself (e.g. the game will allow you to play tiki-tika if you set the player support and support range low enough, and you really notice it if you then switch to Quick Counter) but I'm not sure that the AI-controlled teams pay very much attention at all to their tactical set-ups. I'll try the Italian teams this weekend and see if I can notice any difference.

Last edited:
Hmmmmmm thanks very much, it's always good to see people interested in this stuff - although I'm not convinced that PES2013 really honours this work you've done. I mean, it works better than in PES2012 where tactics meant literally nothing, but...

I tried a game against Barcelona (because they have the most extreme tactical set-up) to see how well these work in this game. I put an extra man in my midfield and set all my tactics to ultra-defensive, to encourage them to come forwards and show me their stuff. In the end, I had 60% possession and didn't feel like I was being pressed at all; every time they got the ball the whole Barca team just started sprinting up the pitch, and every single pass was a long forward pass.

Despite me setting my own defensive line to 4 and Player Support to 8, every single Barca goal was exactly the same: I lose possession on the edge of the Barca box, they play 2 passes maximum before my central defenders run away from each other so that Barca can hit a massive through ball from deep in their own half for Lionel Messi to run onto. Seriously, they scored 4 goals (25 minute game) and every single one involved Messi running in a perfectly straight line, unchallenged, from the halfway line. So much for tiki taka; so much for my deep defence. At no point in the game did they string any sideways or backwards passes together - not even once. It was just pure kick and rush from them.

I really appreciate all this work - I used to do similar stuff myself - but sadly I think that in PES2013 AI-controlled teams just play one way, Konami's way. The tactics certainly make a difference for the team you're controlling yourself (e.g. the game will allow you to play tiki-tika if you set the player support and support range low enough, and you really notice it if you then switch to Quick Counter) but I'm not sure that the AI-controlled teams pay very much attention at all to their tactical set-ups. I'll try the Italian teams this weekend and see if I can notice any difference.

This game is not perfect. This is sure. But IMHO these settings improve the general situation. Well I have also to say that I play the game in a different way of all other players.
I play with change cursor UNASSISTED. So On defense, I play off the ball, let my CPU controlled teammates to def. against the CPU attack. (I usually pick a striker after we lose the ball on offense). I never tackle by myself, I just play the offensive side and then when I lose the ball, I wait my teamates to get it back.

EDIT:

Sorry my friend, my bad, the formation is setup wrong, i was playing about with the SS/WF settings and left the front two players too far apart.

Here's what i should of given you, here is the update:
barcalona.png

The key to get them to take their time is to change the front 3 so they are really tight together.

I've also found that so much relies on the ATT and DEF levels. Xavi and Iniesta are both set as ATT 3, DEF 2, which is just wrong. I gave them both two ad they slowed down a shitload, stayed much more in the middle of the park and they where harder to breakdown and they press more.

It seems like any player with 3 ATT become very forward thinking and aggressive, up the pitch, although they should be playing possession football anyway with those settings, Alexis seems to really not like passing, he just takes on people or runs forward, if you put cesc there he will pass more. Alexis is an issue since hes a winger who likes to run, take players on but for barca they have taken the tricks and his element out of his game, so we can edit him but he wont play correctly for chile :|

All in all the individual ratings and attack/defence levels are not perfectly set up at all, it was similar for arsenal, the ratings don't reflect how they players are now so they just didn't play the way i knew they could.

I'd try the Swansea tactic and play against they, they REALLY take their time :)

Last edited:
Newcastle:

Swansea:

Bayern:

BARCELONA, has been updated.

Many Barca plaers have cards they should not have, with some player edits, which i will release in a team pack, they will play around with the ball even more, key one is Busquets who has the 'Anchorman' card, when he shouldn't, Xavi and Iniesta need 2/2 for ATT DEF levels rather than 3/2, there is a few more also.

Last edited:
Klashman, I think it would be a good idea to work out the best tactical templates for tranditional formations (4-4-2, 4-2-2-2, etc) and post them as a general guide in the first post of this thread.

What i can do is give some explanation to how the setups change how a team plays, i can say which is the best and worse but which suits one type of play and which doesn't. :)

i see your linesup and i read your explenation post. I really appreciate them. I would now like to ask you to explain to me how the sliders interact with each other. So I will be able to create the best team to challenge friends and computer ...
TY

I have covered most of la liga, not released them all yet,

covered all preimerleague teams apart from West Brom and Wigan, Fulham and Everton and Villa re done, they aren't really unique but these teams don't have defined styles, especially everton, who tend to change a lot, very balanced, rather aggressive in attack team.

covered most teams in Ligue 1

Bundersliga will take a while, only just started to look into it.

Thats about it, i won't too much else this week, some possibly on Thursday and maybe, many Friday and Sunday.

Again, any help and constructive criticism and challenges are welcome.
i see your lineup and i read your explanation post. I really appreciate them. I would now like to ask you to explain to me how the sliders interact with each other. So I will be able to create the best team to challenge friends and computer ...
TY

You mean, as in does a high line of 14/20 work with players playing close to eachover? Things like that? Errm, when i get time i'll try update the guide then if you piece the parts together, it will show how they affect your team, also takes experimenting which each teams since every team will have different individuals.

There isn't much which is black and white with tactics.

Back
Top Bottom