EA Sports UFC (PS4)

One of the devs has done a Q&A on reddit, there are some interesting points.

http://www.reddit.com/r/EASportsUFC/comments/27eszs/ufc_gameplay_engineer_dropping_in_to_say_hi/

Q : It should be easier to stuff the big slam takedowns. Perhaps allowing a slightly longer window of opportunity to defend them in order to make the risk greater.

A : The moves are actually the same during the window where the stuff can happen. What I think we should have done is allowed for a second denial window as the fighter adjusts for the slam. Hindsight is 20/20...but again, the key for learning the game is that the takedown denail window is from the time the takedown starts to when they get a hold of you and that "idle" finishes. The window is affected by stamina, rating etc, but it will always fall within that range.

Q : Will there be any noticeable changes from the demo gameplay to the actual gameplay, given the short period until its full release?

A : There was a lot of tuning and bug fixing that happened between the time the demo was released and the time we shipped the retail version of the game.
So to answer your question, yes the gameplay will change. Will it be noticeable? I certainly hope so.

Q : Thanks a ton for coming in and answering some questions! I was wondering if switching between the accelerated clock and using real time will have any impact on the gameplay. Are there any differences in stamina and damage of strikes (ie a "arcade" vs. "simulation" mode)?

A : The stamina drain and damage are based on actions performed and are not a function of round length or number of rounds. As a result, I believe you'll have to work harder to conserve stamina in a real time clock fight as you'll be much more gassed at the end of the round than if you don't. You'll also have to play more defensively as there will be more time for damage to accumulate. Or you can spam strikes, gas out and get KO'd

Q : Thanks for doing this, /u/gameplaydevufc[1] .
I have one question; With 2 strike modifiers now, will fighters still have accurate movesets? I mean, will guys like Lawler and Nelson be throwing backfists and tornado kicks?
I'm really enjoying the demo, and I feel like these 2 fighters chosen have a huge variety in strikes, but will punchers feel like punchers?

A : So I just picked up the game with Lawler, he has no tornado kick but does have a spinning back fist. I know for sure he plays different as an AI opponent from what you're seeing in the demo though.
It's an interesting discussion though, what is an accurate moveset for fighters? The moves they have performed in UFC fights in the past, or the moves they are capable of performing physically. Because there are many examples of fighters surprising us with techniques they've never used before in fights. We fell more on the side of what they are capable of performing physically.

You will not see Roy Nelson doing cage kicks.

Q : Look at it from a different perspective, say in UFC 2010 Anderson Silva does not have a front kick to the face (i'm unsure if he did not not) then he goes and KO's Vitor Belfort with it, people are then up in arms that he can't do this move he has rekt someone IRL with. Obviously it's not a perfect system but it has it's advantages. personally i'd have preferred it to be the other way, but w.e

A : Great example and that's the approach we're taking. I can understand if you don't agree, but that's the reasoning behind it.

Q : What differences will changing the difficulty make? Would there be any changes if you are playing against a friend? The demo is set to easy.

A : Difficulty only impacts the CPU play, not the core mechanics of the game.

Q : Why did you guys leave out standing submissions?

A : Time. I know it's not a great answer, but that's the reason. The guy who was working on submissions really wanted to do it, but we just couldn't fit it in. Sorry.

Q : 2 Questions:

1)Could you guys look into making the replays for submissions longer (not just the final part, but the whole submission)? We always concentrate on the minigame and dont get to watch the whole submission from the beginning

2) Is it just me or is the north south position useless? I can't get any submission going, and I can never counter the reversal from the cpu

Thanks in advance

A :

1. Good feedback

2. There is one submission from north south, RB + Left on the right stick. It may be one of the easier ones to complete, but I'm not sure. I don't end up there much myself to be honest.

Q : In the Demo, both Jones and Gus are constantly going forward without a second thought, forcing you to either slug things out Diego Sanchez Gilbert Melendez style, or backpeddle. Where is that " MMAI " we were hearing about?
Is this caused by the easy difficulty making it easy to catch the opponent after a few secs of blocking while they're spinning around wasting stamina? or has this been worked on after the Demo release?

A : Honestly I would say both. The difficulty setting is definitely a factor, tuning was done between the time the demo shipped and the retail version was complete, and of course the different fighters will behave differently.
I don't want to promise anything because everyone's idea of what a good CPU AI should look like is different, but I certainly wouldn't write off the CPU AI based off the small fraction of the game you've experienced.
Check out reviews and videos once the retail version comes out and make your judgement then.

Q : Hi man, thanks a lot for taking your time. I'm very positive about the game and will be getting it on PS4 when its out! A quick question, is the easy difficulty the main reason you can do things like these ? -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o3Ri1ceF0Es

A : Was that a user/user fight? I replied elsewhere that difficulty has only impacts the AI, so if that's user/user then no, difficulty won't change anything there.
However, fighting against someone who's good that the game will definitely shut down an attack like that pretty quickly.
There are a lot of ways to make the game look stupid, but our hope is that competitive matches will gravitate to more realistic fights once people master the mechanics and strategies.

We'll find out soon enough.

Q : I'm loving the game so far. Of course there are some issues, but it is definitely a very fun game. My main question is, are the move sets given to Jones and Gus going to be the same as their ones in the game, or were there techniques added just to show off in the demo that won't be in the final game?

A : I'm glad to hear you're enjoying the game. I'd have to talk to the guy who assigned move sets to be 100% sure, but for the most part I believe they are the same.

Q : I'm apart of a competitive league (http://www.ultimatefightingfederation.net/forum/) and have been grinding this demo more than you could believe, i have so many questions haha but i will start with this, how does this happen and will it happen in the full game or is it a demo bug? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SsuQPTVyJyo

A : I'm glad you posted this. I remember seeing someone mention this bug somewhere, and it was one of the reasons I wanted to get permission to start posting, but I couldn't find the thread.
I'm quite confident that bug is fixed in the retail version of the game.

There were a couple of ways it could manifest, the one I remember most clearly was a bug where the ref would stand up the fighters on the same frame that a KO punch landed. Because of a timing error, the fighters would be allowed to stand up, but the KO was queued up and played as soon as the fight resumed.
We fixed it in two ways, by both modifying the ref standup logic to respect the KO possibility of the strikes being thrown in the various positions and not stand up the fighters in those cases, and also not allow the queuing up of the KO state in case we missed other cases where this could happen.

Probably more info than you wanted, but yeah, it's fixed.

Q : A few more points on "glitches/bugs" from SC, After you block a transition from side control, the next body knee is super fast, almost like it skips the animation, you should probably look into fixing that. Also, the ingame timer for holding a position is 15 in game seconds (if i am not mistaken) but if you fail the first stage of a submission (sometimes it's 2 or 3 stages), you hold/maintain position and do not get swept, this resets the refs "clock" and could be abused. Ofcourse they could always block the submission, but it's still a small flaw that could be abused if it falls into the wrong hands.

A : To the first point, there are a bunch of bugs that sound similar to what you're talking about that are fixed. We called them T-Rex punches, where the fighter appears to only punch with his arm and not the rest of the body. This was a flaw in the system that allows strikes and transitions to play simultaneously , and it was fixed. May also contribute to why some people feel the gnp feels feeble or weak at times.
As to the second point, we did fix some timing exploits that sound similar to what you're describing, but I'll have to read it a few more times to make sure I understand, and run it by a few guys. Always interested in hearing about potential exploits.

Q : I have a load of questions, but i don't want to hold you up much longer so i will only ask this last one, i promise .

1. In the video tutorials Brizzo explains that blocking a strike opens up an opportunity to transition/escape
What factors go into how big this window is, is there anything like a perfect block, like in FNC?

2. Is it possible to be good enough to never be passed, if you do not gas yourself? In EA MMA you could get to a level where you could never be moved from full mount.

There will probably need to be away to cause an "unstoppable" transition, otherwise players will get good enough to hold positions until the end of the round.

A :

1. Mostly stamina and attributes I think. The timing of the block is irrelevant, it's a yes/no thing.

2. I haven't seen it, but we'll have to wait until the game hits the masses to find out for sure. Don't forget the ref will stand you up if you don't stay active, so it will be hard to not lose stamina as you can't just spend the whole round denying transitions. The ref stand up logic was changed after the demo shipped I believe so it's not something you can fully evaluate right now.

Q : For denying transitions on the ground and holding RT, are you supposed to flick or hold the RS to the side?
If transitions from the bottom look the same, for example SC bottom to HG bottom transition can be done 9 to 12 or 3 to 12 and are the same transition, do they have to be blocked in the correct direction? Cause there would be no way which way they would go as the top fighter since the animation looks the same.
If you have a chance check out the UFFs latest podcast. I'm on it and we dive into some in-depth gameplay /balance discussion which you may be interested in. Lots of top fighters on the site. Thanks.

A : No need to flick, press and hold is fine. I had to try it out in the game to make sure I got the answer right, but the way the side control example you posted works is as follows:

The guy on the bottom can only hip out in one direction (left or right depending on the side, but let's go with right for this example). If you press right, you'll hip out right. If you press left, the game converts your input to right and you hip out right. We did this because we thought the casual fans may not understand the techniques and may get confused that basic transitions don't work in all directions.

Anyway, because we're converting the input from left to right, to defend the transition as the top fighter you have to defend to the right. So it should reflect the visuals of what's on screen, not what your opponent did with the stick.
I agree it's confusing but I think the way we did it is probably the right way to handle it. The alternative would have been to allow denials in both directions, which may be good for ambiguous moves, but the hip out from side control is pretty obvious direction wise.

Hope that helps.

Q : The only 2 issues I had was I felt there was a lack of feedback when transitioning on the ground. I felt I was moving the sticks but there no attempt from my character until the 2nd or 3rd try. Same with my submission attempts. This might tie into the lag issues people are having. Is there fixes for these examples?

A : I'd be better able to answer your question if I understood more about when you're getting the lack of response?
For example, if your opponent is doing nothing on the stick, and you attempt a transition, does it respond correctly? I would assume so because that's what I'm seeing.

If your opponent is in the beginning or tail end of a transition animation himself, you have to wait for that animation to finish before your transition attempt will start. That could be the source of the lag you're feeling, and no that is the same in the retail version of the game. I was quite proud of the fact that we got striking and transitions on the ground to overlap and play simultaneously (don't think any game has done that before) but we didn't manage to get the same for competing transition attempts.

One other mechanic that isn't entirely obvious, if your opponent is postured up and striking, you will not be able to succeed in a transition attempt until you first block a strike. But the attempt does play out so I don't think this is the lag you're talking about.

Hope that answers your question.

Q : I worded that kind of strangely. But yeah that answers my question. So basically you cant transition or submit when the other player is trying so himself. Thanks.

A : Correct. You can input the command, but you won't get the visual feedback until your opponents move finishes.

Q : I just wanted to personally tell you that you guys have done a phenomenal job on this game, making an MMA game must be the most difficult project to undertake. I'm enjoying the demo, I love the challenge of learning a new game and can't wait for the full game. My question is this; after watching the Aldo Pettis video 10 thousand times, it just seems like everything is a slight bit smoother (all the animations, mainly the striking and cage navigation) I'm just wanting to know in the finished game, will the game run noticeably smoother than the demo? The demo looks amazing, just doesn't seem to quite match the level of polish in the video.

A : Thanks for the kind words.

As for the smoothness for the game...I think it will be better. Like I said somewhere else there are a lot of bug fixes that went in after the demo was complete. But it's such a subjective thing it's hard to know what you're seeing that's contributing to it. I know I cringe when I watch the demo videos a bit because I see things I know we fixed. Are they the same things you're seeing? Not sure. I hope so.

Q : Please don't be scared by our passionate outpourings. We really care about this game. How many of these suggestions would you conceivably be able to implement within a release day patch or first week patch? Will you be paying attention to the fans concerns about controller configuration, move sets, and strike damage/outcomes and attempting to edit/rectify the game to placate them?

Thanks for your time and consideration.

A : Not scared at all, I'm glad to see the passion to be honest. Unfortunately I cannot talk about any future plans regarding the title, but know that I am taking notes while I'm going through this thread. It's been a really good exercise for me, getting a lot more info than I was before.

These may also be of use.

http://www.easports.com/ufc/tipsandtricks
http://www.easports.com/ufc/news-up...ea-sports-ufc-tips-and-tricks-video-tutorials

Just played the Demo and still can't understand how people can play a game like that longer than 10 minutes, so boring :D

I've played it loads and am still seeing new little things here and there that keeps me coming back. I think it's the unpredictability that gets me to have another rematch. Like this afternoon I went into a standing clinch to rest up and Jones hooked his leg round mine and shoved me down into my back and then smashed me with a right and knocked me out. And while the ai is poor they do sometimes have moments of brilliance. The commentary also adds a lot to it as well.

It's not perfect, but I'm having fun. Not sure if I'm buying it on release as I suspect the ai will be as poor come the final game, fighters will all feel the same and I'm guessing some of the coolest things will be dlc like pride or strikeforce content. I imagine ea still has licenses from their MMA game so could use those

Last edited:
I'm enjoying it. Trying to fight smart and it's working which is giving me hope for the full version and the different fighters. I will always try and fight like their real-life counterpart

Re the demo, the first day or two was playing mainly as Jones, last night just Gus, and was getting some great KO's.

I still find TDD too hard, and not done any subs yet.

It's clear though parrying counters are the key to effective stand up, in addition to stamina management.

Played this locally against a friend yesterday and had great fun. Usually I find AI to be decent enough but I played the AI afterwards and it really was just the AI constantly spamming attacks.

I'll probably pick this up if only for the fun multiplayer.

7 on eurogamer
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-06-17-ea-sports-ufc-review

I'm thinking I'll pick this up on Friday after trading in some games so it's not going to cost me full price. And I don't play FIFA or second son anymore anyway so I'm not losing out on anything.

I think the reviewer got it spot on with the points of ea totally ignoring the fist bumps and using repetative animations. It feels pretty bare bones. Could eventually grow like the thq games did and be one great.

I got it off of the american PSN since it's so much cheaper and it's fun.

But the stamina is ridiculous which leads to fights ending way too early.
Submissions are sweet though, good new system.

Ended up buying it off the USA store last night. I tried getting some USA codes from play Asia but after 3 hours it was still sitting there on 'security check' so I grabbed some from another site and started it downloading. Left it on standby all night and this morning went to have a quick go....

It's only installed 74% and it pauses the install as you play so I only had the tutorial and basically the demo match :(

After extended play I grew tired of the demo, far too much is wrong with it. Went and bought Undisputed 3 for the PS3 instead, much better game.

Yup, much more content in there that's missing from this. Anyone on the fence, I'd suggest sticking with that.

I pre-ordered this yesterday.

2 players on the demo is brilliant when you play it properly, so im looking forward to it :)

Wish I'd held off and just picked up undisputed 3. I skipped it as I read career mode was a bit broken but maybe they fixed that?

It IS fun though. I had an epic fight today that went 5 rounds and both of us were busted open and the ai actually stopped being so pressure heavy like the demo.

It's just missing so much. If you take the graphics away it has nothing worth buying it for over undisputed 3.

One other annoyance, you can't set the audio so commentary is loud and the rest of the audio like crowd noise is lower so you can clearly hear them talking. There are only pre set audio options that either turn things on/off or all on. You can hardly hear the commentary at times.

I think though it's because they've used a lot if clips from wctual fights that have crowd noise in the clip, so if you turn crowd noise off it would sound bad.

Picked up the game yesterday, Overall impression is it just feels dull, looks great thou!

Some of the most annoying parts of this game are the over used flashy kicks and massive slams. The slams are somewhat pretty annoying as they can happen no matter what state your opponent is in.

If I still had my PS3 I'd be back playing Undisputed 3

I've tried and tried to like this, but lets be honest, it's pretty awful for the most part. I agree with all the negative comments. The collision detection is poor, the individuality of the fighters is terrible, more-so in the move-set. And Ronda Rousey with 65 for Clinch Grapple ? Really ? WTF ?

And it runs at 30FPS I believe ? That is shocking really. Presentation is great, as always from EA.But the game feels shallow and not a patch on UFC 3. The ground game sucks, and I don't like the submission system.

It does have some great positives, but they are far out-weighed by the horrible negatives.

I really wanted to love this game........... :(

Last edited:
Played this locally against a friend yesterday and had great fun. Usually I find AI to be decent enough but I played the AI afterwards and it really was just the AI constantly spamming attacks.

I'll probably pick this up if only for the fun multiplayer.

What diff level were u playing on Dags? I agree that the individuality could be a lot better for CPU fights. This IS a multiplayer game though. It's where the game shines as career mode is kinda boring. Gameface is weird. I was able to create better fighters on Undisputed 3 for ps3.

What diff level were u playing on Dags? I agree that the individuality could be a lot better for CPU fights. This IS a multiplayer game though. It's where the game shines as career mode is kinda boring. Gameface is weird. I was able to create better fighters on Undisputed 3 for ps3.
I think the demo was on easy? It was a pretty good on multiplayer but read so many negative comments regarding the AI so I'm passing.

I think the demo was on easy? It was a pretty good on multiplayer but read so many negative comments regarding the AI so I'm passing.

Ya, I hear ya. Haven`t had much time with it although I heard these classic quotes are in.

Rogan: "That's a rear naked choke"

Goldberg: "Big knee"

Rogan: "Big right hand"

Goldberg: "So you want to be an Ultimate Fighter?":P

Goldberg: "He's unrelentless"

Goldberg: "That eye is rocked"

I can barely hear the commentary due to how they've set the audio up.

Funnily enough, that was the first thing I said to my son.

I watched him beat Bruce Lee in an online match, by simply spamming 4-5 knees to the body, followed by one left hook downstairs. And that was all she wrote, a knockout in about a minute. Horrible, simply horrible.

Funnily enough, that was the first thing I said to my son.

I watched him beat Bruce Lee in an online match, by simply spamming 4-5 knees to the body, followed by one left hook downstairs. And that was all she wrote, a knockout in about a minute. Horrible, simply horrible.

Most of that happens online as the AI is not coded to spam. It`s not just knees though. I`ve seen body punching and parrying been being spammed as well. Practically everyone ranked in the top 20 uses these spam techniques. Lets hope for a good patch that will resolve most of the issues (spamming, sound) in the game.

Wish I'd held off and just picked up undisputed 3. I skipped it as I read career mode was a bit broken but maybe they fixed that?

Did you end up getting Undisputed? You should if not.
After some time with the game and finally getting a grip on things(just about) I love it. I am 30 something fights into my career and have not noticed anything thats broken. Its a real shame that THQ went down the toilet because if they would of made the new next game I can imagine it would be incredible.

Hopefully EA's game will reach this level with their next release. From what I have been reading on various forums their game has not been very well received, that could really spur them on for the next one.

Did you end up getting Undisputed? You should if not.
After some time with the game and finally getting a grip on things(just about) I love it. I am 30 something fights into my career and have not noticed anything thats broken. Its a real shame that THQ went down the toilet because if they would of made the new next game I can imagine it would be incredible.

Hopefully EA's game will reach this level with their next release. From what I have been reading on various forums their game has not been very well received, that could really spur them on for the next one.

Yeah, too bad. THQ did a good job with that game, esp, the fighter AI. If you take Nick Diaz to the ground you can expect a lot of submission attempts from him. Fight Frankie Edgar and you get a standup fight from him centered around quick strikes and combinations. Best thing about that game was Pride mode. Soccer kicks FTW.

I hate this game. I'm too old for Street Fighter-esque reactions and holding all kinds of buttons down to remember so many moves as well as trying to duck and weave. Meanwhile the CPU on normal is pretty much spot on with most attacks and defends with ease.

First time I've had buyers remorse on a digital purchase. What a waste of money :(

I felt the same less than 24 hours after buying it digitally. Oddly I really enjoyed the demo and expected more from the full game but it doesn't have anything more. Change the fighters and it still plays the same as the demo.

I bought this on its release day and didn't really like it, apparently the 2 updates they have done have made it a whole lot better but I aint even put the game in to update and dont think I'm gonna bother either :LOL:

I'm just going to trade it in for Fifa 15 or something.

Back
Top Bottom