PC Gaming

Not planning to upgrade my 5 years old machine anytime soon because right now i'm into cyber-security and little bit of programming more than gaming.

Thanks to Youtube and some wonderful Let's Player, these day if i'm into gaming, especially for the adventure genre generally watching couple of playthrough videos are more than enough.

But I did pick up Euro Truck Simulator last month at discounted price. Good game with excellent modding community. It's like the PES of driving simulation.

I like RockLeeSmile's Indie Impressions series, he has a new episode every day and talks about a different indie game each time in usually around 10 minutes. They vary from tiny projects to more fully fleshed out games but sometimes there are quite interesting games featured on it.

http://www.youtube.com/user/RockLeeSmile

I decided to venture a bit into PC-gaming, got a Steam account and Broken Age. Then found out there is no Grim Fandango on Steam and was a bit heartbroken.

I decided to venture a bit into PC-gaming, got a Steam account and Broken Age. Then found out there is no Grim Fandango on Steam and was a bit heartbroken.

I don't think Grim Fandango is available anywhere, except for second hand copy from ebay. If you're fan of classics, GOG.com have bigger selections than Steam.

Regarding Grim Fandango, it's out of Double Fine's hand. LucasArts own the IP.

Anyone know a work around for Nuuvem site? They currently have 75% off on lots of 2k games. I've bought stuff from them before but for some reason you can add these games to the basket, it says not available in your region.

I was under the impression pc steam keys weren't region locked?

You need to use a Brazilian proxy/VPN I believe? Some Steam keys have regional activation locks so you can only activate them using a certain region's proxy/VPN but some take it one further and also need the proxy/VPN running to play the game as well which is a bit of a pain.

If you find the game in steamdb.info you can find the version and see if it's locked, for example this is the entry for the Russian version of Arkham Origins: http://steamdb.info/sub/34493/ you can see that the region lock isn't active, meaning I could buy it from cddiski for £9 and activate/play as normal :)

Last edited:
I don't think Grim Fandango is available anywhere, except for second hand copy from ebay. If you're fan of classics, GOG.com have bigger selections than Steam.

Regarding Grim Fandango, it's out of Double Fine's hand. LucasArts own the IP.

I actually have Grim Fandango, on disk, in the house. Except I apparently put it in this really great place... that I can't find again.

Finally here..

The worlds first 4K graphics card, has to be water cooled and comes at a price tag of $1500.

The AMD Radeon R9 295X2

radeonr9295x2.jpg

Packing in dual Hawaii 290X chips, the 295X2 is designed for 4K readiness, with an impressive 11.5 TFLOPs of compute power and 8GB of GDDR5 memory. A GPU clock of up to 1018MHz and 5,632 stream processors round out this Mantle-ready card.

P.S. I know about the Titan-Z but that is $3000 and unless you own a small island don't think many people can afford that.

Last edited:
Maybe so, but the GPU power required for 4k will make it a niche interest for some years yet. I'll get excited about 4k only when a single GPU can run it for a realistic price.

You will be looking at cards from 2016 probably when Nvidia release the Pascal GPU's.

But if DX12 does what it promises, it won't be long until you see significant PC and Xbone performance increases.
Also I reckon a 680GTX SLI or 780SLI would be able to run 4K resolution, but the problem is monitors are still really expensive and wont be cheap enough for quite a while yet.

I just think though at least we are talking about playing games in 4K, next gen players are still talking about whether or not they can play in 1080p @ 60FPS.

True. 4k @ 60fps is a good few years away until we have both the displays and GPUs to support it. Can't see myself getting a 4k TV/monitor for a long time as it's going to be a while before they are affordable.

True. 4k @ 60fps is a good few years away until we have both the displays and GPUs to support it. Can't see myself getting a 4k TV/monitor for a long time as it's going to be a while before they are affordable.

It is a lot closer than you think.
4K monitors will be available this year for less than £500, whether they are good enough is another thing. Titan Fail just recently got a 4K patch, and other games will follow suite this year, I am not 100% sure but I reckon 2x 680GTX will be able to run 4K @60FPS, and the next generation of cards should be able too comfortably and be more affordable at £500.

It is still a couple of years away for the average PC player, but the technology is available now if you can afford it.

Can't really afford the layout for 4k right now and in general I'm not one to pay the early adopter tax on anything. Also I generally avoid the first generation of new technologies.

As you said, give it two or three years and 4k will be more mainstream. Then perhaps I will jump on board.

They said 4k was coming under £500 this year.

I am now really tempted to sell my 3D monitor to buy a 4K, but the problem is the graphics cards aren't good enough yet, unless I also SLI my 680GTX but even then it will be a struggle.

I think TBH I will give it a miss until the graphics technology is there and isn't it only Titan Fail that actually supports 4K?

There's really no rush to hop on board 4k. It's going to be a while before a single GPU can run 4k at frame rates pc gamers are used to.

I'm looking forward to it as much as the next man but it's not really a viable 'thing' just yet.

A 4k GYSNC monitor would perhaps sway it for me to buy one later this year, but as it stands I'm not going to invest until 2015.

More likely to invest in a second GTX 680 than a 4k monitor, not going to take off for a very long time.

Just tried the driver to use a PS4 controller on the PC and it works brilliantly :)

Excellent thanks! I was assuming when people said it worked on the PC it'd be via USB cable but just googled and saw that it just needs a bluetooth dongle! I have a couple of those sat in drawers doing nothing, now with my 20m HDMI/USB/Optical cables I'll be playing Watch Dogs on the 150" screen as it was meant to be played! ;)

Excellent thanks! I was assuming when people said it worked on the PC it'd be via USB cable but just googled and saw that it just needs a bluetooth dongle! I have a couple of those sat in drawers doing nothing, now with my 20m HDMI/USB/Optical cables I'll be playing Watch Dogs on the 150" screen as it was meant to be played! ;)
You just need those drivers with that decent program.
> http://forums.pcsx2.net/Thread-DS4-To-XInput-Wrapper

You can even recolour the lightbars with RGB :P

I used it with a cable as I don't have a Bluetooth dongle and it worked perfectly :)

Glad to not be using my XBox 360 controller now, it just feels clunky after using the Dualshock 4.

How do you get on with assigning controls to the DS4? The thing I like about the XB360 controller (apart from the fact it feels great to use) is the native support on so many PC games. It's pretty much plug'n play.

Back
Top Bottom