PC Gaming

Sold my Xbox One and bought a ROG Swift G-Sync monitor. The hype around G-Sync is real, it's excellent. Playing The Witcher 3, if I didn't have FRAPS running then I wouldn't have known the framerate had been fluctuating.

Well i came in here for some game recommendations and its worse in here than the PC building thread :LOL:

I have a special question "somehow" :)

Is there any custom PS2 controller which is wireless and rechargeable.

I love the shape of the PS2 controller (especially the triggers) and play with an adapter on PC with it but I want to change to wireless gaming.

Anyone knows a PS2 controller like that? I've only found wireless controller where I need to change the batteries all the time.

Of course it needs to be possible to deliver it to Germany.

Nvidia Pascal series are coming soon.
GTX 1080 : 9TFLOPS, GDDR5X 8GB, on 27th May 2016.
GTX 1070 : 6.5TFLOPS, GDDR5X 8GB, on 10th June 2016.

Now the 70 will have 8GB, 8!!!!(and new 60 will have 6GB, LOL it's more than 970.)

Last edited:

I love the shape of the PS2 controller (especially the triggers) and play with an adapter on PC with it but I want to change to wireless gaming.

Anyone knows a PS2 controller like that? I've only found wireless controller where I need to change the batteries all the time.

In ny country there are some third party wireless Ps2 controllers that looks loke Ps2 controller just without the wires. Its not rechargeable though. But it lasted longer than my wired ones. Survived 2.5 years until it stopped responding to inputs properly.

Well i came in here for some game recommendations and its worse in here than the PC building thread :LOL:

Firewatch
Brothers - A Tale of Two Sons
(old but good) - Southpark - Stick of Truth (very funny).
Ori and the blind forest (platform very good graphics)
Mark Of The Ninja
Never Alone
This War Of Mine
Dirt Rally

.. im more of an indie title seeker in many ways.

Last edited:
My CPU temps are getting into the 70s when playing FIFA 16.

AMD Phenom II X4 965 BE 3.4GHz
GTX 750 Ti
Corsair Vengeance 4gb

I'm using the stock CPU heatsink. The temps drop to the 50s range when selecting the Max Power Saving mode but the game lags as feck. It idles at 41 and the room temperature is around 34. Do I need a cooler?

My CPU temps are getting into the 70s when playing FIFA 16.

AMD Phenom II X4 965 BE 3.4GHz
GTX 750 Ti
Corsair Vengeance 4gb

I'm using the stock CPU heatsink. The temps drop to the 50s range when selecting the Max Power Saving mode but the game lags as feck. It idles at 41 and the room temperature is around 34. Do I need a cooler?

CPU temp is higher than it should be and recommended to be...

The TDP on your processor is 65c, so anything over that you are causing the CPU damage.

Have you overclocked? If you have turn it off.

I would recommend getting a new cooler, I personally have never used a generic CPU cooler, and if you buy even a semi decent one with good thermal paste it should bring your temps down by 15c.

Last edited:
Got fed up with the terrible SLI support of 2x GTX 770's and combined with Nvidias neglect of their older hardware, decided to pounce on one of the new AMD 8gb 480's, from the benchmarks I've seen it should double the performance of one of my 770s, fingers crossed! I don't pay VAT on Amazon so got it for £183 and my boss gave me £75 towards the new card so only cost me £108 which if it does get me 60fps @ 1080p on current games as early benchmarks indicate will be well worth it. Temptation was to wait for non-reference OC'd versions with custom coolers but none of the companies were willing to say when and how much so sod them!

Temptation was to wait for non-reference OC'd versions with custom coolers but none of the companies were willing to say when and how much so sod them!
I'm seriously interested in it too. I mean, I have a 270X which still runs great: it's able to grant enough FPS wneh playing FIFA 16 @ 1080p, with just a little stutter in the intro (which is most likely due to my stubborn refusal to reduce the LOD of the crowd which I've improved via RevMod)... I don't play any other "heavy" game: rFactor 2 from time to time, some Grid Autosport, the Bioshock trilogy, PES 2016 are the other games I play (and I'm currently playing MiniMetro more often than all these put together) so at the moment it's still enough.

But, seeing that upon building my new PC (thing that I must do since, well, late 2013) I'll most likely buy another Radeon (possibly Sapphire, I just have a preference for them) and considering that I paid my current 270X no more than 150€ in the summer of 2014, I'm looking for something around the 200€ spot and this could aswell be a good purchase in terms of performance/price.
I've heard it drains way more power than it should need, though.

Time to replace the thermal compound maybe?
Have you ever removed the heatsink, cleaned the old thermal paste off both the heatsink and the CPU, and then re-applied the compound? If not, it might be worth a try.

Having an aftermarket cooler is always a better option than having the stock one that came with the CPU, as bsmaff rightly said, but also applying fresh thermal compound could help a little if you don't feel like buying a cooler.

TBH I'm not really a fan of benchmarks and such, does a game run well for you at the settings/resolution you use? If Yes then enjoy! If No then fix the problem! And it doesn't help I only have one game on the go at a time (I can run a Far Cry Primal bench later), but here's The Division:

I find The Division's built in benchmark pretty inaccurate compared to ingame but this is with the exact same settings I used before (minus Nvidia HBAO+ for Ambient Occlusion and instead Ultra). If only my CPU wouldn't run at such low usage!

In game I just ran an Underground mission with Vsync off (pointless really as my monitor only does 60hz but out of curiosity), FPS is between 70 and 90 for the most part, that's something like 2x to 3x what I was getting with my 770.

Far Cry Primal:

1080p + Ultra settings + HD Textures, no idea why framerate is locked as it's disabled ingame and also in the ATI settings.

Still trying to get my head round the Radeon settings app, have to say I'm not a fan at all, crappy way to lay things out and zero description for most options.

This is how I have it set:

Rise of The Tomb Raider DX11: Very High Preset @ 1080p:

Rise of The Tomb Raider DX12: Very High Preset @ 1080p:

Forgive me for spamming the thread! Have to say I'm really blown away with the performance, the settings I was using in The Division before for my Gtx 770 was a tweaked Ultra, basically set to Ultra then lowered a few things here and there which ate FPS without providing much difference in video quality, I just tested the 480 the other way, Ultra+++, select Ultra then scroll down and setting everything to the max, object distance 100%, max post processing AA, all that stuff, expected the card to crawl but it's very smooth and stable, 45-60fps at a guess, best of all it looks stunning, the fan is surprisingly quiet as well, can't really hear it and my case is to the left of me about 1.5m away with both sides of the case removed.

Shame ATI doesn't have something like Shadowplay or I'd record some footage, gonna see if there's any video recording apps that don't eat too much FPS.

I miss ATi. ATi Radeon RIP. ATi was better than AMD.

AMD> Nvidia. Nvidia ditched us 900 series with lack of real dx12 component Async compute.

Shame ATI doesn't have something like Shadowplay or I'd record some footage, gonna see if there's any video recording apps that don't eat too much FPS.
Have you tried Raptr? It comes bundled with the AMD drivers (I believe it's still rebranded as 'Gaming Evolved') and I've hardly seen any performance hit while using it with my 270X.

Other than that, MSI Afterburner has the chance to save videos if I recall correctly.

Arkham Knight Max Settings @ 1080p

Arkham Knight Max Settings @ 1440p

Arkham Knight Max Settings @ 2k

Most surprising would be 1440p @ 60fps on average, wasn't expecting that. Will test some undervolting later, strangely turns out to increase performance whilst reducing heat/power usage.

In ny country there are some third party wireless Ps2 controllers that looks loke Ps2 controller just without the wires. Its not rechargeable though. But it lasted longer than my wired ones. Survived 2.5 years until it stopped responding to inputs properly.
Found this gamepad now
> https://www.amazon.de/Wireless-Blue...8530537&sr=1-101&keywords=wireless+pc+gamepad

ib898_5.jpg

It has the trigger buttons as the PS2 controller and is recheargable. Will purchase this one I think. Just need to get a Bluetooth Dongle for my PC. :)

So Xbone gamepad finally gets a bluetooh version. Maybe I'll get one eventually.

Has anyone got shadowplay to work with dx8 games? I can't record games like Fifa 07 and hoise of dead 3 (even thoigh house of dead 3 requires dx9).

Does the stutters in Videos decrease if I record the videos in another hdd (preferably same as what I have now- 7200rpm hdd)?

Just upgraded my GFX card and purchased the Palit GTX 1070 for £360 on the daily deal on overclockers.

So hopefully will be an improvment over the 970, which I now need to sell.

Will run a few benchmarks on the card later today but on Batman Arkham Knight with all the settings on Ultra and all the extra Nvidia settings switched on the card averaged 132FPS

OK, so I saw FIFA 17's requirements.

I happen to have 8GB of RAM on my laptop (which can hardly hope to handle FIFA 17 in terms of graphics), but only 6 on my gaming rig.

To update or to buy a new one? That's a pretty little dilemma, but I believe I made up my mind... Off we go!
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Corsair-CM...d=1470305402&sr=8-1&keywords=corsair+xms3+6gb

They're the same ones I currently have in my system, and hopefully the config resulting from this upgrade will be enough for another couple of years:

i7 920 CPU (currently at stock, but I can push it a little if needed),
12 GB DDR3 RAM (running at 1066 actually as it's the motherboard's default setting but they can be brought to 1600),
500 GB SSD (unfortunately just used with a SATA II controller) + 1TB SATA II HDD,
R9 270X video card (with 2 GB of memory).

This is the last thing I do to it, I promise. The next time it would surely be time to buy another.

Last edited:
The question is do you have 6 RAM slots in your PC? Most only have 4.

Your machine is quite a few years old now, so it depends on how much gaming you do on your PC or do you just play FIFA.

If you plan on playing a lot more games then you could upgrade the whole system, you may even get away with a cheaper bundle 2nd hand on eBay with processor and RAM.

Back
Top Bottom