PES 2011 Demo impressions

Argh - they give (10 minute matches) and then they take away (unstoppable 3 or 4 minute video of everything in the game). It'd genuinely be quicker to quit out and then load the game back up.

Right, downloaded the demo, played a quick match between Chivas and Internacional and decided I needed to sign up for a PES forum ASAP. I stopped playing PES after the miserable garbage that was PES 08, but it looks like PES is finally getting it's act together again. It's still early days of course but I'm absolutely loving it so far. Will post full impressions later today, I'm off to play some more.

Right, downloaded the demo, played a quick match between Chivas and Internacional and decided I needed to sign up for a PES forum ASAP. I stopped playing PES after the miserable garbage that was PES 08, but it looks like PES is finally getting it's act together again. It's still early days of course but I'm absolutely loving it so far. Will post full impressions later today, I'm off to play some more.
Early days but that sounds promising for the fact that you didn't like the previous PES'(I loved PES 2010 though.)

Playing Bayern v Barca now on Top Player. Graphics and animations make the Beta look terrible, so smooth and crisp even in Widecam. Replay function has a free-mode that lets you move anywhere, in close-up it's frightening in HD. Collision detection, freedom, the flow is spot on. Will load up a Ribery fake shot in a minute, totally different animation, but completely relevant. WOW.

I keep pausing the game every 30 seconds to replay what has just happened. :WOOT:

I dont understand why the quality is poor, it's HD and all the rest have been crystal clear. Any suggestions ?

YouTube - Ribery Fake Shot

Last edited:
Playing Bayern v Barca now on Top Player. Graphics and animations make the Beta look terrible, so smooth and crisp even in Widecam. Replay function has a free-mode that lets you move anywhere, in close-up it's frightening in HD. Collision detection, freedom, the flow is spot on. Will load up a Ribery fake shot in a minute, totally different animation, but completely relevant. WOW.

:SHOCK: Real fake shot ?? :x you sure ? Is it not shot cancel ?

PES 2011 INITIAL DEMO IMPRESSIONS

I have just finished playing 3 games of the PES 2011 demo. All of my matches were against the CPU on Professional difficulty.

The first match I was Barcelona against Bayern Munich and I lost 4-3. The second match I was SC Internacional against Chivas and I lost 1-0 and finally the third match I was Bayern Munich and I won 2-1 against Barcelona.

I have played the MLO Beta extensively and this demo is a clear step up from the MLO Beta code. I was impressed to see that many of the bugs we had addressed have gone but not all of them. Player runs are more intelligent when off the ball. Player response feels sharper and the shooting is much better but I think thats due to me playing with better teams now. However L1 change player is still a bit annoying.

I really love the shooting. It just feels great. I managed to score a beauty with Sergio Busquets from outside of the box with the outside of his foot and it curled and dipped into the bottom corner.

Player individuality is more pronounced in the demo. Messi is extremely dangerous and has fantastic close control but he isnt unstoppable. A well timed tackle will dispossess him. Robben as you would expect is a great dribbler.

Stamina can be seen without having to go into the options. It did seem to have an adverse effect in my Copa Libertadores match. My tired players were pushed off the ball easily and shots and passes were misplaced and hit.

Referees are much more strict than in the beta or PES 2010. Had many yellow cards in my first match due to late challenges.

Computer AI is quite impressive. They play really well by building up play and counter attacking at the right times.

Goalkeepers are definitely better than the MLO beta but they still make some silly mistakes. Victor Valdes rushed out off his line and let in a soft goal into his near post.

I havent had time to try out the new defensive system too much or the tricks so I will look into it a bit later.

The graphics seem better than in the MLO code and the replay function is fantastic. My complaint about the camera not keeping up with the action is now gone. The camera moves quicker than in the beta. All my matches were in wide cam.

The audio is improved also. There is no commentary in the demo obviously but the crowd are far more vocal. You can hear new chants and they boo really loudly when certain challenges are made or when the away team score.

Whats really annoying is that once the match is finished and you want to go back to the menu, the Gamescom trailer is played each and every time. Its so long and you cant skip it! I have to quit the game and start it again. Also team rosters arent up to date but its just a demo and they will be fixed for retail release.

Overall im very impressed. Its a clear step up from the MLO Beta and I keep getting that one more game feeling. For me its already the best PES this gen and a definite buy for any football fan. :)

Pro's about the demo:

- Defending is not magnetized like in FIFA 10, it's a true skill
- Freedom of play is the right term to use by Konami, the passing seems non scripted (except for the crossing which feels like assisted)
- I can imagine scoring beautifull goals with this game, everything can happen in front of goal
- Turning with the ball at feet is very realistic, it takes time to shift you weight and go the other direction.

Con's:
- Players look like their dead selfs, Zombie look-a-likes
- The referee has NEVER heard of advantage when a foul is commmited, he ALWAYS blows his wistle, even if your through on goal.
- After EVERY foul there's a replay of it, really annoying
- Played on Top player and the AI CPU sometimes doesn't know what their doing, turning when clear on goal, going the other way when another teammate is absolutely free on the other side, etc
- Still feels kind of robotic, can't put my finger on it as to how this happens (in replay everything looks smooth but in-game it's not)

Pro's about the demo:

- Freedom of play is the right term to use by Konami, the passing seems non scripted (except for the crossing which feels like assisted)
- I can imagine scoring beautifull goals with this game, everything can happen in front of goal
- Turning with the ball at feet is very realistic, it takes time to shift you weight and go the other direction.

Con's:
- The referee has NEVER heard of advantage when a foul is commmited, he ALWAYS blows his wistle, even if your through on goal.
- Played on Top player and the AI CPU sometimes doesn't know what their doing, turning when clear on goal, going the other way when another teammate is absolutely free on the other side, etc
- Still feels kind of robotic, can't put my finger on it as to how this happens (in replay everything looks smooth but in-game it's not)

All in all did you feel "satisfied"?

Pro's about the demo:

Con's:
Still feels kind of robotic,can't put my finger on it as to how this happens (in replay everything looks smooth but in-game it's not)

:CONFUSE:

Thx Jimmy can't wait to get home and try this sucka!! Just didn't get Scorpio's negative points...

Scorpio gelukkig zijn we toch al voor dezelfde ploeg . Ik zit hier live te volgen op ne kerel zijn streampage tziet er echt wel goe uit veel beter dan de echte robotten van fifa :) fifa sucks !!!

fifa will lose this year

Alright, please bear in mind this is coming from someone who hasn't touched the Pro Evo series since PES 6. Also I've only played four games so far and everything I'm about to write is more my opinion than stone cold facts. With that out of the way, my first, short impression:

Graphics, Sound

I probably don't have to tell you much about the graphics, as most gameplay and beta videos speak for themselves. As a FIFA man I have to say I was very impressed with the general atmosphere, something that has generally been lacking in Konami's football franchise. The lighting and the player faces look stunning, although the lesser known players will no doubt get those generic, plastic faces which have absolutely no resemblance with the player. I also liked small touches like the Copa Libertadores adboards and scoreboard, they really add to the immersion. I did however notice massive framedrops and stutter when watching replays, not sure if this is because of my TV or because of the game.

There's not much to tell about sound as obviously there's no commentary in the demo. I must admit I'm not too sure about the stadium sounds, they sound a bit shallow and boring.

Gameplay

A long, long time ago, this was the very reason people were playing PES instead of FIFA. Unfortunately Konami never really got it right on the next generation consoles and many people, including yours truly, switched to FIFA. Whilst I'm not passing judgement on FIFA before I've played that demo, I can honestly say I've made PES top of my wishlist.

The biggest improvements are without a shadow of doubt the new animations and the revamped ball physics. I'm so happy Konami extended the game time to ten minute games, because now you really have a chance to get a feeling for the game without having to rush towards goal because of a lack of time. Passing the ball around in midfield has never felt so good before, with the likes of Xavi and Iniesta always available for the short, simple pass. Thanks to the new animations turning, dribbling and passing now look and especially feel so much more natural than before. Xavi's passing and through balls are a joy to behold, but try something similar with Puyol or Maxwell and you'll probably deliver a bobbling or overhit pass which will be intercepted quite easily. The game has a genuine flow to it, and everything happens at a very realistic and enjoyable pace. Tactical football gets rewarded, you really need to exploit the strengths of your team and the weaknesses of the other team. I scored a great goal with David Villa after a fine passing move with Barcelona and ended the game with 60% possession or so. When I swapped to Chivas I barely created a chance at all, but I ended up scoring a very easy goal by crossing the ball early and heading the ball into the net with Bautista.

That brings me to another big positive (for me at least), the difference in skill level is very noticeable. I haven't played the beta so I've no idea how the likes of Castolo and Stremer play, but even making the step down from Barcelona to Chivas Guadalajara was very difficult. I beat Bayern Munich using Barcelona with relative ease on Professional, but lost 3-1 to Barcelona using Chivas on the same difficulty level.

It's not all positives though as the one thing that really concerns me so far are the goalkeepers. Of the goals I've conceded so far at least three of them looked like easy saves for the goalkeepers, including a very dodgy rebound from a seemingly poor long range effort. I'll have to play some more to get this confirmed, is anyone else experiencing this?

Conclusion

It's still early days of course but all in all I have to say this looks to be a really good effort from Konami. I know for sure I'll be getting this, regardless of how much I like the FIFA demo. It's definitely not perfect but for the first time in five years I've really felt like I was playing a football simulation instead of some arcady football parody. I'll keep playing and posting, but so far I'm very, very excited:COOL:

Last edited:
Had a couple of games, haven't played since pro6 so looking with fresh but nostalgic eyes.

The forward runs from my team mates are a bit poor, the never seem to run beyond and the lack of the L1 button to make them is hard to get used to.

I haven't seen much of the advantage rule either.

It has made me smile twice already and stop the game to view replays of moves i've put together, and the player individuality is great, i've missed it so much. Enjoying it so far.

Back
Top Bottom