PES 5 with lowered agility & game speed = Still the best

My problem is I had to enable dvooverider and this makes the game play fast. But if I don't enable I get screen tearing...

Hi Herald, fancy seeing you on this thread :P

I think the speed being reduced is good for those like myself who play on ps2 and can't use the speeder.dll thingy. The ability reduction makes the players more realistic so that they don't make really quick turns with the ball.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, El Pajaro :)

Yes... I wasn't aware of the speeder.dll thing. I'm just a part-timer anyway... not a "modding guru".

My method works. Reduced agility means increased realism... there's absolutely no doubt about it.

Speeder.dll might work as well. I have no idea.

Yes... I wasn't aware of the speeder.dll thing. I'm just a part-timer anyway... not a "modding guru".

My method works. Reduced agility means increased realism... there's absolutely no doubt about it.

Speeder.dll might work as well. I have no idea.

Hi El Pajaro, what someone pointed out to me with my OF with your lowered agility idea, is that the headers were not as good. So I've globally adjusted all header ability by +5 and it seems to have made the difference.

Just thought i would let you know ;)

Just played a full WC 2006 tournament with my settings & World Cup 2006 WE9 mod. Fantastic. Reached the semifinal with Argentina but got dropped by the Netherlands.

This old game still kicks ass and offers a genuine challenge against CPU.

hey man i'm new here, how do i use the pes fan editor to tweak the agility and speed? what do i load in the program? which file?thanks.

Hi ramgamer,

1. Start up PESfan Editor
2. Click 'File', then 'Open'
3. Locate your current Option file 'KONAMI-WIN32PES5OPT' (normally located here-Documents\KONAMI\Pro Evolution 5\save\folder1\KONAMI-WIN32PES5OPT)
4. Click the 'Stat Adjust' tab
5. Select what players that you want to adjust the stats for. (Don't forget to click the 'Created Players' box)
6. Select what stats you want to adjust and by how much.
7. Click adjust
8. Don't forget to save it under the 'File' tab.
9. When you start your game, the stats should be adjusted.

Hope this helps :)

Check out this gameplay vid that I made... it has the Legends Patch installed with my own Italy 1990 World Cup mod on top of that.

That's not the point... but see what grossly reduced agility and game speed does to the game. The "flow" is almost "real". I have also made all defender abilites extremely high so it's really hard to get any real scoring chances... the CPU defends really well and you're able to "shut down" as well, when you want to defend your lead. Not many scripted goals and all that crap you see on newer PES games.

If you want arcade games with a lot of fancy goals... long distance shots going in with insane percentage, etc. then play PES 2013 or FIFA... but if you want a football simulation, choose PES5, WE9 / LE or PES6. When it comes to pure gameplay, these games are still the highest point of football gaming.

Lowered agility makes it very challenging to keep possession of the ball when you receive a pass near the penalty area. I made global changes with the PES editor.

I also reduced the shot accuracy globally and used the camera angle modifier to get the real "wide" view.

I'm not a great player at all... au contrary, I play from keyboard by the way... but even I'm able to win pretty easily in all new PES games. PES5 is different... it still kicks my ass after all these years.

PS: Check out the game tying goal by Maradona from 25 min, 30 secs. :)

YouTube - PES5 Italy World Cup Mod Full Game Brazil-Argentina
hey man i just installed pes 5, can u tell me the step to make this game the best way possible, with lower agility and stuff, thanks.

hey man i just installed pes 5, can u tell me the step to make this game the best way possible, with lower agility and stuff, thanks.

Hi ramgamer check the post above your one, that should explain how to change agility and things. ;)

Also if you check out these threads http://forums.evo-web.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=15
You should be able to find a decent option file or patch to suit your needs. :)

Well, while the lowered Agility helps it still doesn't change the fact that it's a very arcade-ish game. 8 directions for one, very mechanic movement around the pitch and no real duels for the ball.

I used to love PES5 but I have to admit it hasn't aged well. I used to love Red Baron as well but that game is similarly bad today because the game standards have changed.

Lastly, a game where you control 10+1 player can never really be a simulation. Unless you think it's realistic for a football team to possess a hive mind.

It was fun for a trip down memory lane though and if you enjoy it I see no reason for you to switch games. Remember that it doesn't have to be "the best" in the world just because you like it. Ask 10 people what the best chocolate bar is and you have 8-10 different answers. All of them correct.

Well, while the lowered Agility helps it still doesn't change the fact that it's a very arcade-ish game. 8 directions for one, very mechanic movement around the pitch and no real duels for the ball.

I used to love PES5 but I have to admit it hasn't aged well. I used to love Red Baron as well but that game is similarly bad today because the game standards have changed.
which pes version do u recommend, pes 2013 with nesa gameplay patch??

I recommend whichever you prefer to play. I like PES2013 and PES2014 despite their pitfalls. I usually keep my eyes peeled forward though... well not true but I always do with franchises.

Honestly though, I don't play any football game more than a few matches a week which is probably also why I am able to live with the errors. If I were to play countless matches every day I would probably stab my eyes out because of the design issues in these games... and probably for a lot of other reasons as well to be honest.

Sorry just wanted to point out that with my option file with adjusted stats that it's not 'very arcade-ish' ;)

Lastly, a game where you control 10+1 player can never really be a simulation. Unless you think it's realistic for a football team to possess a hive mind.

It was fun for a trip down memory lane though and if you enjoy it I see no reason for you to switch games. Remember that it doesn't have to be "the best" in the world just because you like it. Ask 10 people what the best chocolate bar is and you have 8-10 different answers. All of them correct.

Sorry can you please explain? :)

I recommend whichever you prefer to play. I like PES2013 and PES2014 despite their pitfalls. I usually keep my eyes peeled forward though... well not true but I always do with franchises.

Honestly though, I don't play any football game more than a few matches a week which is probably also why I am able to live with the errors. If I were to play countless matches every day I would probably stab my eyes out because of the design issues in these games... and probably for a lot of other reasons as well to be honest.
but clearly pes 2013 can be modded to be better than pes 2014 with modded gameplay.

Sorry just wanted to point out that with my option file with adjusted stats that it's not 'very arcade-ish' ;)

The core mechanics of the game makes it arcade-ish. It's not something a simple patch can do anything with.
So, no offense intended at all. I'm just sharing an opinion after trying the patch that made a lot of promises that I couldn't agree were actually true. I also stated that it was a personal opinion and not the ultimate truth for everyone.

Sorry can you please explain? :)

A simulation is a program that tries to emulate the real life situation for the player. When is it a real life situation to control 10 players on a football pitch and then occasionally a keeper?

Become a Legend and similar game modes is the only part of the game that can ever be called something in the vicinity of a simulation and that mode isn't even in PES5.

If you used fixed controller on one player it could possibly be a quasi player manager simulation.

I simply think people are using the term loosely but it might also be because the gaming industry has been using the term lightly for a decade or so. There hasn't really been a good simulation game released since forever. The mantra lately has been "dumbing down" which is not in the slightest in line with "simulation".

but clearly pes 2013 can be modded to be better than pes 2014 with modded gameplay.

I'm not sure about "clearly" but arguably yes. PES14 has a lot better physics engine and a lot of player individuality. Both games are hampered with the defender catch-up farse so lately I've been playing the latest iteration for the most part. It's weaker in some areas but extremely improved in others.

Now, I didn't intend to hijack this thread discussing this stuff so I want to wish the mod creator good luck and happy gaming. Sorry for the intrusion.

Last edited:
The core mechanics of the game makes it arcade-ish. It's not something a simple patch can do anything with.
So, no offense intended at all. I'm just sharing an opinion after trying the patch that made a lot of promises that I couldn't agree were actually true. I also stated that it was a personal opinion and not the ultimate truth for everyone.

Just wondering, what patch did you try? and on what game, PES5 or WE9LE? and on what system, PC or PES2? It's good to get an opinion. Especially if it's for my option file, as i do seriously welcome constructive criticism so that i can try to make it better ;)

A simulation is a program that tries to emulate the real life situation for the player. When is it a real life situation to control 10 players on a football pitch and then occasionally a keeper?

Become a Legend and similar game modes is the only part of the game that can ever be called something in the vicinity of a simulation and that mode isn't even in PES5.

If you used fixed controller on one player it could possibly be a quasi player manager simulation.

I simply think people are using the term loosely but it might also be because the gaming industry has been using the term lightly for a decade or so. There hasn't really been a good simulation game released since forever. The mantra lately has been "dumbing down" which is not in the slightest in line with "simulation".

Oh ok now i get your point. Yeh you are right but for me personally i don't think i have ever used the term 'football simulation'. I have only ever said 'football game'. Whenever i have tried to give 'become a legend' (or whatever it is called) a go i have always turned it off before a match has finished and that's on all the games, PES and FIFA. As that type of 'football game' has never appealed to me. I would much prefer to take control of everyone on the pitch. Or play 'real football' outside.

Now, I didn't intend to hijack this thread discussing this stuff so I want to wish the mod creator good luck and happy gaming. Sorry for the intrusion.

To get back on topic, i agree with the title that the PES5 'football game' with lowered agility & game speed = Still the best. Not the best out of all games but the best way to play PES5.

Maybe for reply it is best to pm ;)

Oh ok now i get your point. Yeh you are right but for me personally i don't think i have ever used the term 'football simulation'. I have only ever said 'football game'. Whenever i have tried to give 'become a legend' (or whatever it is called) a go i have always turned it off before a match has finished and that's on all the games, PES and FIFA. As that type of 'football game' has never appealed to me. I would much prefer to take control of everyone on the pitch. Or play 'real football' outside.

I usually run around too much and then quickly lose Stamina even with fit DMFs.

It would be better to have a first-person view, controlled by mouse & keyboard (I imagine it'd be quite difficult with gamepad). So far I know only about a Counter-Strike mod...

PES 2014 was unplayable for me (my CPU can't handle it) and the gameplay is jerky.

So I installed PES 2013 back with all gameplay patches and all that. It's very pretty and plays ok... I like the passing game and of course the graphics are nice.

BUT... there's too much scoring and the game is so heavily scripted, it's ridiculous. When the CPU decides that it will beat you, there's little you can do about it. They score with an insane percentage. Thru-pass is wayyyyy too easy method to score, etc.

PES5 and PES6 have this built-in scripting but it's not as heavy. The player movements may look a bit silly by today's standards but I still rest my case: They represent genuine football more accurately. It's the overall "feel" of these games that newer PES versions can't quite capture.

And there are way too many 4-3 and even 5-4 results in PES 2013.

I wonder why can't we have any gameplay sliders, like "referee strictness", "yellow card frequency", etc. Or even "momentum effect" to reduce the silly scripting effect?

Or is it just that the gaming companies don't even pay much attention of offline gaming anymore?

I went back to PES5 again. :D

totally agree with this post. PEs is all about gameplay and when it comes to PES 5/WE9LE it´s quite impossible to beat.

New patch for PES 2014 saves lots of things, but still, the overall mecanics don´t feel right and most importantly, I end up a game and my usual feeling is "meh, it nice after all...". The moment I got back to PES 5 i almoust felt ashamed because I still love that good old game, way more then the newest versions. Reason? PES 5 /WE9LE is the only game that gives me true hard challenge, while its so easy to control at the same time. I always check possession rates at the end of each mach and in PES 5 I rarely beat the 55% possession for my self, even against weaker teams. Other thing is, I never ever know what is going to happen in a game. That´s one of the great feelings that PES has lost completely.

And then, for last, passing mechanics, shooting, and ball physics... I´m sorry but no game out there has reached the overall balance this old engine offers.

Lately I´ve been struggling to find wich one I prefer, PES 5 or WE9LE.
WE9LE seems really slightly better. It looks like teams move better on the pitch and leave less gaps most of the time. Problem is I don´t own WE9LE anymore and could only find a patched version of it, wich of course gives me some problems using other option files.

You said it correctly. You never know what's going to happen in PES5. It can be a tough defensive 0-0 battle or something else. The point is that it feels right and 99% of the time games are tight, edgy affairs.

In PES 2013 you can beat the CPU 5-0 or lose 0-5. It all depends what kind of momentum gear the CPU feels like using. It's really stupid.

When you're leading 1-0 and you think you can defend your lead. Well... if the CPU gets a corner or a free kick in extra time, it will score with 90% percentage. Scripting makes PES 2013 feel almost like an arcade game in many ways.

PES 5/6 have this same shit built-in, but it's not as unfair. There's much more randomness in it and you can actually defend your lead and shut the CPU down.

Imagine PES5 with gameplay sliders... it'd be almost perfect football game. The refs totally suck in it... cards are way too rare. They only occur when you use a very late sliding tackle.

If only they'd make a PES5 again with modern graphics. I'd be in 7th heaven. :D

Yeah so true!!
How on earth would I get back to such a jaggy game, from a 2014 gorgeously beautifull game?...
Ah thats right... Its only because of its F%&$#%G GREAT GAMEPLAY!
I mean, almost every single game something diferent happens. Yes player movements are pretty much the same here and there, but the ball? Come on!! How the freacking hell did they managed to put so many possibilities? Don´t you guys love that feeling, when you shoot the ball in a bad way and say "ahhh bad posture and momentum" but somehow the ball bounces and leaves the keeper surprised and "wooow, ah ah ah its in!!!"?

@MadBall: Have you guys tried these same reduced agility & speed tweaks with PES6? Works just as well. They make a DRAMATIC difference towards more realistic game play.

These old games are so friggin' amazing. Just installed PES6 back, set up a really wide camera (800) and started a 2010 World Cup with RPL2010 patch and executed these same global tweaks. Wow...!!! Amazing feeling after that FAKE POS "football simulation" called PES2013.

Last edited:
Probably in the minority here, but if PES5/6 was PES 2014, people would be killing it as well. As someone already mentioned, PES 5 is pretty arcadeish and the animations are very robotic and "snappy". Not very free flowing. That's not to say it isn't fun though.

@MadBall: Have you guys tried these same reduced agility & speed tweaks with PES6? Works just as well. They make a DRAMATIC difference towards more realistic game play.

These old games are so friggin' amazing. Just installed PES6 back, set up a really wide camera (800) and started a 2010 World Cup with RPL2010 patch and executed these same global tweaks. Wow...!!! Amazing feeling after that FAKE POS "football simulation" called PES2013.

nope, i play phoenix patch which already has some stats tweaked in OF. it plays amazing!

I don't like PES 6 though, even with the above tweaks, the game is arcadish, i can score easily screamer with Lampard for example. Pes 5 is far more balanced i think, the only bad things are the low transfert market activity in ML and the refs, they don't give enough cards.

I don't like PES 6 though, even with the above tweaks, the game is arcadish, i can score easily screamer with Lampard for example. Pes 5 is far more balanced i think, the only bad things are the low transfert market activity in ML and the refs, they don't give enough cards.

Couldn't agree more, PES6 is far easier than PES5 even with tweaks. ;)
But don't want to start an age old argument. :JAY:

Yes. PES5 is the best overall no doubt.

But it could use PES6 refs and some other small details.

Referee strictness setting in PES would be ridiculously easy AI setting but apparently it's too much to ask for.

Yeah but funny thing, after PES 2014 I think referees are fantastic! lol
PES 2014, ridiculously low amount of fools and cards.

Today I just had a game on friendly mode, WE9LE, 15 mins, 6 stars:
7-6 on fouls. 0-0 result. Just great feelling through all the match.

Back
Top Bottom