Sony PlayStation 4 PRO

Terrible idea and a complete slap in the face for every PS4 owner IMO, shouldn't have sold it with such shit specs if you can't deal with the fact it's so outdated already compared to PCs.

Terrible idea and a complete slap in the face for every PS4 owner IMO, shouldn't have sold it with such shit specs if you can't deal with the fact it's so outdated already compared to PCs.

I don't think they should even release the NEO, it is only polishing a TURD..

They should hold out a year or two and release something that is graphically more capable, rather than using such out of date hardware..

Personally I fell cheated that my PS4, is being replaced by a slightly higher spec model which allows 4K output and very slightly improved visuals over what will surely become practically worthless now.

Last edited:
I don't think they should even release the NEO, it is only polishing a TURD..

They should hold out a year or two and release something that is graphically more capable, rather than using such out of date hardware..

Personally I fell cheated that my PS4, is being replaced by a slightly higher spec model which allows 4K output and very slightly improved visuals over what will surely become practically worthless now.

Agree 100%

Erm..

I don't mind the upgrade.

:D

We don't know the full specs of the upgrade at this moment in time only what is rumoured.

But the rumoured specs are only a processor increase of 300Mhz.. But is still the same crap/cheap processor you find in Netbooks.

The graphics card isn't much of an upgrade either just looks like again a higher clock speed, so although hopefully most games may run @60FPS in 1080p the graphics will be barely improved.

The problem is consoles are so far behind the times now it is unreal.. The recently release Geforce 10 series can do well over 100FPS @1080p with graphical settings which would bring the consoles to a grind.

I hope Microsoft when they announce their new console it is an actual new console which will be able to produce PC high settings @60FPS..

Yeah this is absolutely ridiculous, it makes the PS4 obsolete. Just hold off and make the PS5?

The problem is consoles are so far behind the times now it is unreal.. The recently release Geforce 10 series can do well over 100FPS @1080p with graphical settings which would bring the consoles to a grind.

I hope Microsoft when they announce their new console it is an actual new console which will be able to produce PC high settings @60FPS..

But that would mean a crazy high retail price, which hardly anyone but the hardcore (maybe rich) would get.

I honestly don't mind an upgrade to my console if I have the option, which is what they're offering, as long as it's not affecting the original PS4s, which according to House it wouldn't. They'll be sitting side by side and people pick whichever suits them between entry PS4 or 'premium' (imo premium should pack in more specs for people who don't mind paying that much more for high end, but again God knows how much more can high end have and how hot will the console get which would affect the form factor and industry max power allowed for consoles).

But that would mean a crazy high retail price, which hardly anyone but the hardcore (maybe rich) would get.

I honestly don't mind an upgrade to my console if I have the option, which is what they're offering, as long as it's not affecting the original PS4s, which according to House it wouldn't. They'll be sitting side by side and people pick whichever suits them between entry PS4 or 'premium' (imo premium should pack in more specs for people who don't mind paying that much more for high end, but again God knows how much more can high end have and how hot will the console get which would affect the form factor and industry max power allowed for consoles).

Personally I think people would be willing to pay more for a console if they knew what could be achieved.

If PS4 gamers saw for instance how much better a game like BattleFront looks on PC compared to PS4 and they could have graphics like that if they shell out £500 on a console, then I believe people would.

I personally just don't agree with the current model of releasing a slightly higher spec machine half way a cycle just because the PS4 can't do 60FPS @1080.

I am really looking forward to it.

Technology changes fast and I am more than happy to pay it to play 4k Games on my TV, which in turn makes my TV even better value.

And the amount I've battered my PS4 over the last few years has more than paid for itself.

No issue at all from me. I'm glad I can do it now rather than wait another 3 years or so.

Technology changes fast and I am more than happy to pay it to play 4k Games on my TV, which in turn makes my TV even better value.

You certainly won't be able to game in 4K..

The Neo will display in 4K so you will be able to use 4K Netflix.

The only real complaints I've seen that Sony are releasing this, are from people who've got (in most cases) super duper PCs (see: the whole of NeoGAF).

I'll never be a PC gamer for several genuine reasons - so the performance this will offer is a window into something I'll have never experienced before, whether that's with many more titles being 60fps, or the performance benefit the VR will get.

If I want to sell my PS4, it will have been worth every penny I originally spent on it for the entertainment it's given me ever since I bought it. Reinvesting that money will mean I can continue those experiences, whilst gaining new ones.

Whether you like it or not, there are plenty of people who it'll be a great fit for. As for releases getting closer and closer together - well, people buy iPhones every year, so a console every three years - with genuine performance increases and unique selling points (VR being one of them)... Bring it on.

Like I say, those who say "I'll get a PC instead" tend to be the ones who already have one, so it's not a relevant argument...

The only real complaints I've seen that Sony are releasing this, are from people who've got (in most cases) super duper PCs (see: the whole of NeoGAF).

I'll never be a PC gamer for several genuine reasons - so the performance this will offer is a window into something I'll have never experienced before, whether that's with many more titles being 60fps, or the performance benefit the VR will get.

If I want to sell my PS4, it will have been worth every penny I originally spent on it for the entertainment it's given me ever since I bought it. Reinvesting that money will mean I can continue those experiences, whilst gaining new ones.

Whether you like it or not, there are plenty of people who it'll be a great fit for. As for releases getting closer and closer together - well, people buy iPhones every year, so a console every three years - with genuine performance increases and unique selling points (VR being one of them)... Bring it on.

Like I say, those who say "I'll get a PC instead" tend to be the ones who already have one, so it's not a relevant argument...

The only reason I don't like the release of the NEO is because on the leaked specs it is just a slight upgrade with 4K output.
Unless the GPU changes dramatically rather than just being overclocked the graphics in games won't change much you will probably just get 60FPS.

Personally I just feel abit cheated because the console manufacturers released such a TURD and are now trying to fix some of the issues by releasing a .5 version and screwing over people who bought the PS4 originally.

It is a dirty trick by Sony and Microsoft to still have an increase in the selling of consoles.

I will buy the NEO on lunch anyway and will probably sell my PS4 very shortly to minimize the amount the console will lose value wise when the NEO is released.

Very stupid question.
I never heard about the NEO.

Is it a new console?
It's an upgrade of the PS4 that should allow for better graphics / 60fps gameplay (and also means the VR will perform a lot better), but it's not a huge enough leap to provide 4K gameplay (for anything other than digital downloads with simple graphics).

It's splitting public opinion, given that the PS4 & NEO will be sold at the same time, and developers may (let's face it - will) put less effort into their PS4 versions and more into the NEO versions, amongst other things.

For me, if it means PES/FIFA get more power for gameplay, graphics and everything else, it can't be a bad thing. But it's certainly divisive...

It seems like consoles are going to start hitting shelves once every 3-5 years, rather than 10.

Microsoft are doing the same thing, according to rumours - in-fact, the "Scorpio" might be mentioned at E3 today, but rumours say it's not due until autumn 2017, and it's supposedly even more powerful than the NEO...

Personally I just feel abit cheated because the console manufacturers released such a TURD and are now trying to fix some of the issues by releasing a .5 version and screwing over people who bought the PS4 originally.

Again this.

They should do a trade in program so you get the new one for $50 or something.

Again this.

They should do a trade in program so you get the new one for $50 or something.
How is the PS4 a turd given how many people have it and how many hours of gameplay people have put into it (and it's also much better-selling than the Xbox One due to the fact that it's more powerful)?

Uncharted 4, The Last of Us (remastered), Killzone, Driveclub, FIFA... Five of the best-selling PS4 games and at no point does the average gamer have a complaint about the hardware power for any of those. They perform better than on the last console, they look a lot better.

No average Joe is sitting there going (in a Professor Frink :CW: voice) "this game is running at 30fps, my eyes are bleeeeeeeding, I wish I'd never bought a PS4".

Nobody is thinking that outside of us hardcore, entitled few (I include myself in that).

The only people who would think it's underpowered are the guys with shit-hot PCs (or who know of them) who know just how good it gets when you've got the latest video card and a 4K monitor. But that's not who this is aimed at.

So why does the average Joe need a more powerful PlayStation? Nobody needs it, but if it means even better graphics, there's a lot of people who'd love to see that - and as for me, I want to see better gameplay from that extra power, too. I'm grateful to have that choice, and I want the best experience possible, so I'll pay for that privilege. It's not forced on you - unless devs start neglecting the PS4 and releasing games that run at 10fps, but knowing Sony (I worked there for years in the QA department), I honestly don't think they'll allow that, and even then, if I tot up how much I've paid for a PS4 and how much gaming I've got out of that, it's been worth it.

For the vast (vast) majority of console owners, the PS4 was/is brilliant, and the Neo is an improvement again.

To say it's a "turd" - I find that astonishing. If I think of all the PlayStations and Xboxes I've ever had, I got the least amount of joy out of the original Xbox (stupid-sized uncomfortable controller at launch and poor exclusives other than Forza), and the Xbox One (given how much less powerful it is than the PS4, and that the games don't run in 1080p most of the time, it's been a waste of money - surely the Xbox One is more deserving of such a label).

Last edited:
The Last of Us (remastered) excellent game.
Driveclub decent game.
Uncharted 4 ok game.

That's the best three games I've bought and played on my PS4 since I got it, think turd fits it fairly well! Multi platform games I play on PC.

The Last of Us (remastered) excellent game.
Driveclub decent game.
Uncharted 4 ok game.

That's the best three games I've bought and played on my PS4 since I got it, think turd fits it fairly well! Multi platform games I play on PC.
So for you, in your situation - which isn't the norm, the vast majority of console owners don't have PCs capable of running games - it's only useful for exclusives.

If you have a PC, you know that whatever console you get isn't going to perform as well, so I don't understand why you'd get one, apart from the exclusives - and if you were just getting one for the exclusives, then you knew from day one the console would be of limited use.

In which case, you either sacrifice the money for the exclusives and know what you're getting into (which is why I bought - and have kept - the otherwise useless Xbox One), OR, you never play those exclusives and save your money!

It was never going to beat the power of your PC and neither will the Neo, so of course it's less impressive and less useful to you, who represents something like 1% of their install-base (already having a more powerful and ever-upgradeable machine on the side)!

TBH I expected there would be more platform exclusives much earlier in the console's lifespan, more fool me for thinking devs/publishers would be professional enough to have started work on exclusive games at the point when everyone knew a PS4 was on the way (2-3 years before it was released)!

It was never going to beat a high end PC no, but I guess I hadn't realised just how weak the "next gen" consoles were, shockingly underpowered as it turned out, I assumed that similar to the previous gen they would use their smarts to make the most of the hardware, when the PS3/Xbox 360 came out they really impressed gamers, PC owners or not.

Last edited:
The PS4 is a great machine, I haven't used my xbone since buying it. I wouldn't think twice about trading it in for Scorpio though. PS4.5 doesn't interest me in the slightest.

Moyes-gen have not lasted very much.

I keep telling you guys, this 2-3-4 thing is not going to be like that in the future, they are already testing us.

Let's see how many will upgrade to this version though, if its not a success they may push this evolution further, maybe even consider a fail and go back to numbers.

I think I have no reason at all to upgrade, 4K even if its only for Netflix still a distant experience for me, no TV no Internet for this, why bother with the hardware.

Stupid question perhaps, but I assume one needs a 4K tv for this?
I have a high end 55 inch Samsung tv of a few years old that's not 4K.
Will i see a difference on my tv when using this new machine?

It makes you wonder if they'll program in any kind of DSR type thing, I have a 1080p monitor but can use DSR with my Nvidia card to run a game at a higher resolution downscaled to my monitor, helps remove aliasing and other stuff, if they don't include that then no you'll notice no difference as you won't be able to set the PS4 to display in a resolution your TV cannot support.

Here's a link from Nvidia explaining Dynamic Super Resolution (DSR) http://www.geforce.co.uk/whats-new/...-improves-your-games-with-4k-quality-graphics obviously meaningless if Sony doesn't implement something similar but it would make sense to IMO.

Stupid question perhaps, but I assume one needs a 4K tv for this?
I have a high end 55 inch Samsung tv of a few years old that's not 4K.
Will i see a difference on my tv when using this new machine?
Wait for specs, maybe it's just 1080p with higher fps and 4K for videos and pictures.
But try 2K or 4K video source on your FullHD TV you can see the difference, on games I don't know.

Keep your TV and wait ;)

Last edited:
I feel kind of dumb for recently buing a TV and not having the 4K option... But I don't know, at the time there was hardly any 4K material around, and to buy a TV I'd mostly use for HD (like 95%) and having it upscale instead of playing a native resolution just seemed a bit strange.

Also, a full HD can surely display 4K at least, like a SD tv can display HD (looking a bit shite, admittedly).

I also just got a PS4, kinda (last November). Getting a new one isn't really on the list.

I will be going all in 4K by the time everyone alse has 16K.

I feel kind of dumb for recently buing a TV and not having the 4K option... But I don't know, at the time there was hardly any 4K material around, and to buy a TV I'd mostly use for HD (like 95%) and having it upscale instead of playing a native resolution just seemed a bit strange.

Also, a full HD can surely display 4K at least, like a SD tv can display HD (looking a bit shite, admittedly).

I also just got a PS4, kinda (last November). Getting a new one isn't really on the list.

I will be going all in 4K by the time everyone alse has 16K.

I have been using the following trick with succes :

My daughter wanted a tv in her room. So, moved my bedroom tv to her, my living room tv to my bedroom, and got a new 55 inch full had Samsung smart tv downstairs.

Guess what......I have another daughter that wants a tv in her room.

Back
Top Bottom