Killzone 2

Re: Killzone 2 PS3

Subscribes to thread...

lol. I almost thought no one even made a thread for this game yet, but then a friend of mine mentioned how this game was expected out when the PS3 launched. Holy cow they have delayed the hell out of this game, and apparently pushing it back even more now?

The videos look cool though, at least the few that I have seen.

I havent heard of any definite release date, but it was always next year whereas Mercs2 was meant to have been this year, thus I would suspect Mercs to come out before Killzone 2, though both very different type of games.

Resistance is going to be huge - 8 player co op! and was it 60+ player games online?

Wowza

-

I liked the first KZ game - it had a lot of good stuff going for it (though those long reload animations did annoy me as im the type of gamer who reloads after every few shots)

Hopefully it will lose the sluggish movement and loosen up a little

the game just keeps looking better and better.
look at the difference between these 2:

E3 2007
kz2e307.jpg

PS Day
kz2psday08.jpg

That looks nice - I think they shot themselves in the foot by pulling the cgi/real gameplay crap a few E3's ago and provided anyone anti killzone and anti ps3 more ammo on top of the 'the first killzone was shit'

I really liked the first game other than the heavy controls - it seems they've sorted that in the videos and i really like the scoped view on the gun.

One thing though is that BF Bad Company has ruined any other FPS for me now as im not going to be able to fire a rocket at something and be ok with it just turning black

I said from day one of hearing about this that I'd get it, so I think I'll hold true on that promise.

Joystiq E3 hands-on: Killzone 2

How did Killzone come to carry such a burden? I asked myself this as I slogged through an early level in Killzone 2. PlayStation 2 wanted its "Spartan" and the original Killzone was called to task, failing miserably. And then, almost forgotten, Killzone emerged again through a dazzling display of smoke and mirrors at E3 2005. Three years later, we're inching ever closer to Killzone 2's release in February 2009. Now that the smoke is settling we wonder if a true "Halo killer" stands before us.

The E3 2008 demo begins with a beach landing, and continues with a crawl up into the bowels of a hellish place. This is a gray and lonely world, an industrial city of towering steels and concrete. The views are beautiful though. This is a gorgeous game -- Guerrilla has delivered on that promise. Where Halo offers relief from the horror of its subject matter with rich, 'toonish colors, Killzone plunges your senses deep into the despair and grotesqueness of a world at war. The stark environments are enriched by a distinct art design. There's cinema here. But we're not idly watching, are we?

It was difficult to judge Killzone 2's gameplay. It was rough, but I was constantly reminded of the demo's state by a permanent, overlaid warning: "work in progress -- pre-alpha build." The framerate wasn't there, and the character movements were painfully restricted at times. I felt slow and clumsy, constantly fiddling with the control schemes and axis sensitivities. The cover mechanic (mapped to the "crouch" command) worked and didn't (ie: it was frustrating that I couldn't pop up out of cover and use the zoomed weapon view).

Most distressing was the ill-timed flow of enemies. "This is fucked up!" yelled my AI squadmate. Indeed. We'd be down a few Helghast, there'd be a pause, and a few more would trickle into the room. I don't mind waves of enemies (I welcome them!), but these were more like kiddie pool wakes. There were a few instances when the fighting opened up into larger, more chaotic battles, and these were both exciting and terrifying. But even these segments were plagued by the poorly programmed enemy advancements.

What I was surprised by, what kept pulling me back into the experience, was the brilliant character animation, highlighted by incredibly lifelike facial acting. Surprise. Fear. Excitement. Pain. I could see this all of this in my fellow humans' expressions. The Helghast were more difficult to read, hidden behind their terror masks, but no less human in their responses to battle. A location-specific hit detection system drew reactions from all points of their bodies as I riddled these creatures with bullets. And I didn't do so alone.

Guerrilla has created a very competent "friendly" AI. I traversed much of the level with my "Dom" who doubled as a guide (sure beats a glowing arrow -- but there's one of those too at times, just in case) and battle tested teammate. He offered scripted strategies, but also fought aggressively during freeform firefights. Similar to Gears, if "Dom" was downed, I had a certain amount of time (several minutes, I was told) to approach him and give him a shot of the all-better-now or clear the immediate area of Helghast. Other sections of the game will actually be spent working in a four-man squad.

As much as I enjoyed my companion's company, I also found myself wandering away from the path he traveled. There was a lot of space to move in. Not necessary space, but "real" space. While there was a linear path I had to travel to progress, there were many opportunities to explore and imagine the level as a virtual world, not just a string of corridors. This is great level design, and Guerrilla should be recognized for that.

There's still something missing from Killzone 2 though. Or, perhaps, it's there, not experienced; that special something that a demo can never deliver. To overcome the narrowing innovative possibilities of the first-person shooter, a developer has to succeed in delivering a narrative. I have to care about my character, my "Dom," all these men dying around me, and the mystery behind my closely related enemies. I haven't become interested in the Killzone universe yet. But I'm eagerly waiting to give it a shot.

I am the only one that finds the game extremely generic? Maybe there are some good graphics here and there, but the gameplay seems very "old" and unimaginative (if this word exists).

Maybe it's just that I'm totally bored of FPS, and it doesn't matter if the scenario is the future or the past, it's just another Call of Duty to me, with all the scripted things triggered by something, with the tipical level where you drive an armored car, the AI characters following you but doing nothing of importance...

This kind of games are NOT next-gen to me. I don't care if graphics are good or not (Crysis is brilliant in this department, by the way, much more than this) when I see the "ropes" of the game so clearly and I've played that exact game before...

I am the only one that finds the game extremely generic? Maybe there are some good graphics here and there, but the gameplay seems very "old" and unimaginative (if this word exists).

Maybe it's just that I'm totally bored of FPS, and it doesn't matter if the scenario is the future or the past, it's just another Call of Duty to me, with all the scripted things triggered by something, with the tipical level where you drive an armored car, the AI characters following you but doing nothing of importance...

This kind of games are NOT next-gen to me. I don't care if graphics are good or not (Crysis is brilliant in this department, by the way, much more than this) when I see the "ropes" of the game so clearly and I've played that exact game before...
It did seem a little like that and there is no need in this day and age to have that type of game play...:SHAKE:

Oh and yes unimaginative is correct.. Konami and SB have it as a logo above their desks...

That trailer is :SMOKIN:

from the leipzig blog

Killzone 2!
BongoFrenzy assures me - this is a game to watch. After playing it for himself - we're clear about one thing - the AI are clever, clever sods. If they cant get at you directly from the front, they'll move around you - trying to out-flank you and generally being smarty pants.
Bongo apparently got shot to pieces - so if you're looking for someone to slaughter when you get this game - add him!

Hopefully that will stop people slagging off the early killzone ai footage

Looks great! An essential buy for me.

EDIT: I love the destructible environments in that vid and you're right about the AI, they are quite clever.

Last edited:

Killzone 2 - Beta Trial Information

Are you a die-hard Killzone fanatic? Have you ever destroyed a squad of Helghast with a single M194 percussion grenade? Can you take out an ISA platoon armed with nothing but an StA-52 assault rifle? Prove it! Download the new Killzone 2 Multiplayer theme and you may be selected for the next phase of the beta trial.

Its true folks, by downloading the Killzone 2 Multiplayer Theme from the PlayStation Store between 16th October and 23rd October - you will be in with a chance of joining Phase 3 of the Killzone 2 Multiplayer Beta Trial.

Remember though kiddies - Beta Trialists must be over 18, and this trial is not available to US, German or Luxemburg account holders.

For more information - visit the Killzone.com website here.

http://www.killzone.com/kz/news.psml?kz_news_article=We+Want+YOU!&kz_news_page=0

The latest trailer is amazing!

I'll be playing less of R2 when this comes out, I hope its on the store today, I want to see it in HD.

Back
Top Bottom