GRID 2 (PC,PS3.360)

bsmaff

International
11 August 2003
Hertfordshire
Exeter City
A new trailer has strongly hinted that Grid 2 is on its way. And the trailer's website – www.theracereturns.com – promises that more information will arrive on August 8th.

With the other thread thought some people may be interested in this, but to me GRID was a mixture of simulation and arcade and didn't know what it wanted to be, so the end result was a below average racing game.

The Race Returns - GRID 2 Reveal

Last edited:
I made my feelings known on the original GRID in the other thread, so as you can understand I'm not particularly looking forward to this.

I predict the trademark "all style, no substance" approach that Codemasters has brought to the table in recent years. Probably more of a Shift 2 style game, this one.

As always I will give it a try and hope to be wrong.

I picked up the original for a fiver a while after it's release and really couldn't understand it at all.
It had lovely visuals and presentation, but the gameplay was bizarre - the handling of the cars was possibly the strangest I've seen in any game of recent times (I even preferred GTA IV's over it!)

I'm reluctant to buy any Codemasters game, same reason as James above - all style, no substance.

Last edited by a moderator:
yeah, at the first tries it felt so weird & pretty hard to me as well (I had even never played it for a year after that) but once I got used to it (using some tweaks as well), I just loved it.

just saying.

Last edited:
yeah, at the first tries it felt so weird & pretty hard to me as well (I had even never played it for a year after that) but once I got used to it (using some tweaks as well), I just loved it.

just saying.

Yea it was awesome with a wheel too - found it quite a challenging drive too be fair.

Ok, can delete it from my waiting to buy game list. Yeah!

Money saved :D.

No cockpit view, even though it was great in GRID 1... Way to go Codies...

I mean, it's an arcade racing game at the end of the day so if they say less than 5% of users play in cockpit view then fair enough, don't waste resources on it.

Then again, pretty much every other racing game, whether it be simulation, arcade or simcade, console or PC, has a cockpit view. So this is possibly a bit of laziness/corner-cutting by Codemasters.

Being a cockpit view driver myself, GRID2 is clearly not for me.

Seriously?

I only play racing games in cockpit view too. To me it's kind of a standard thing in any racing game these days. Much more immersive to be in the car, behind the wheel.

dont you find it harder though?

And wouldnt u say it takes away from the fun/expereince of viewing the car you are using especially games u get different cars but cockpit/bonnet view is generic

Some people I speak to use different views so they take racing lines and corners better. If I'm playing a racing game, I want to feel like I'm driving!!! There's no thrill in sitting back so far and "watching" a car around the track. I want to "Drive" that car around the track.

i.e. Cockpit view only!

dont you find it harder though?

And wouldnt u say it takes away from the fun/expereince of viewing the car you are using especially games u get different cars but cockpit/bonnet view is generic

Like Calcio said above, it's about realism and being immersed in the experience. I feel more involved with the car when I'm sat (virtually) inside it. It can be harder to start with but it's a much more fun way to play.

Chase cam is for arcade games imo.

I'm into sim racing and realism, therefore the challenge is all part of it. But that's ok, no cockpit view isn't a big deal as I'm sure this game is not intended to be a simulation, more an arcade/sim hybrid. I hated the first GRID and never seriously intended to buy this. There are so many options on the PC such as rFactor 2 which suit my tastes more.

yeh so like in gta and need for speed you would use chase view?

but in GT5 maybe cockpit etc?

Obviously its more like you are driving in cokpit but more like you see the car in chase

Chase car was for games 15 years ago when you'd go to an arcade and play. It's like people who negate any graphics advancements in games by playing on an ultra zoomed out view. Might as well be playing something from the 80's if you aren't going to appreciate all the new visuals :P

nice effort from codies. physics look to be even nicer than the first grid. best non-sim racing game for PCs on its way. summer is coming...

I missed that news about the cockpit view... That's poor and I hope other racers don't do the same, I feel much more involved in the game using the cockpit view.

I understand how it may be a lot of work to do high quality textures/models for the inside of every car, but it is a dangerous precedent for one of the mainstream titles to set.

In singleplayer if you're allowed to restart races I tend to do a few slow "safe laps" in chase cam to learn what the racing line and braking points would be (if it's not a track I already know by heart) and then "get into" the car and race properly in cockpit view.

Although I probably tend to play the Time Trial modes more often than races in motorsport games - one of the best feelings in gaming is to smash one of your personal lap records by nailing every corner on a racer...
I suggest the free Trackmania Nations for that purpose, it has great level design and it one of the most fun games I've ever played, it's great online too.

rFactor with a realistic F1 mod is a bitch for difficulty but you feel like an absolute boss if you manage to get anywhere near the times set by real F1 drivers. Gives you massive respect for the guys who do it because playing a simulation ignores two of the biggest factors of motorsports:

1) G-forces (under heavy braking and cornering, this can reach 5g. AKA 5 x the force of gravity)
2) Danger (Crash head first into a barrier? Restart race... Not in reality)

Not really a Codies fan this generation, but this looks like it could be fun in spurts, a la Hot Pursuit etc... before being traded in. The lack of cockpit cam in any halfway serious racing game these days is a mistake though and one that I think Codies may regret behind closed doors.

i cannot forgive lack of cockpit view.

one of the reasons i liked this game in the first place.

Last edited:
Game does look very good but the like you say the lack of cockpit view is bizarre. It's a deal-breaker for me.

Game does look very good but the like you say the lack of cockpit view is bizarre. It's a deal-breaker for me.

totally agree...

i might give it a try with shift 2 unleashed, i skipped that one.

i read good reviews for shift 2. and it has great cockpit view.

Back
Top Bottom