UFC 3

Anybody else played the Demo ?

Offering only 1 Round is pretty poor, but apart from that, loving the game. Absolutely awesome. The Pride Mode is so authentic, and even better that it's one 10 minute round. Everything is so much better than the previous titles. I'm on Simulation and Expert Mode at present, and struggling to beat that level. Lord only knows how tough the Ultimate difficulty level will be..... :CONFUSE:

I cant wait for this to be launched !! :WOOT:

I've been playing UFC Undisputed 2 for two years, so no. It's depth is ridiculous and it certainly helps to know Jiu-Jitsu. The great thing about this game is you can play it like a true simulation or as an arcade slugfest. Appeals to all.

I've been playing UFC Undisputed 2 for two years, so no. It's depth is ridiculous and it certainly helps to know Jiu-Jitsu. The great thing about this game is you can play it like a true simulation or as an arcade slugfest. Appeals to all.

I have no idea about Jiu-Jitsu, i have noticed in a grapple the CPU can go extra offensive like alot more effort into getting me down...any idea what i should be pressing for that? Anytime im in a grapple i just take him down normally while he seems to really go to town (not explaining it very well i know lol)

The ground game is ultra technical, and works around whats called a Pyramid system. This basically starts at whats called 'Full Guard'. The person that initiates the takedown will usually fall into 'Full Guard'. This means the player will be between his opponents legs. Think the Missionary position in sex. :LOL:

The idea is then for the figher on top to move to a better position, a more dominant position to land strikes (known as Ground and Pound). You do that by either rotating the Right Stick Clockwise, full circle or half circle. Full circle is called a Major Transition. A half circle is called a Minor Transition. Alternatively, using the new Amateur Controls, you can just push Up or Down.

A Minor Transistion will then move you to whats called Half Guard, another will take you to Side Control, finally, The Mount. This is arguably to most dominant position, and will see you sat on your opponents chest. This is great for Ground and Pound and Submissions.

The fighter underneath, with his back to the floor needs to circle the stick to get out or push his opponent off him. Holding the Right Stick left or right, blocks a Transition or holds a player down.

To stop a takedown, either rotate the Right Stick in a clockwise motion as quick as you can ( this is called Shining) as soon as your opponent attempts a takedown. Depending on the fighters stats, this may prevent or 'Stuff' the takedown.

Alternatively, if you pre-empt the takedown, you can hold the Right Stick away from your opponent to counter the takedown. This then puts you in an advantageous position.

This year now has Feints. You can feint a punch, kick or takedown. You can do this by holding R1+R2 and either a punch or kick button. Or feint a takedown by holding R1+R2 and pushing the Right Stick towards your opponent.

Also, Reversals are the hardest but also the best way of gaining an advantageous position on the ground. It takes perfect timing, it's very risk v reward, and it's what seperates the men from the boys. You attempt a Reversal by flicking the Right Stick left or right when your opponent attempts a Transition.

Guard (grappling) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Half guard - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Side control - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Mount (grappling) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited:
Nice one! Wasnt quite what i was meaning but no doubt this will help ALOT!

The point i was trying to ask about is when both players are standing grappling, now i can get the CPU on the floor but it looks quite passive when the CPU grapples and gets me on the floor he does it with alot of force ie; looks totally different to how im able to do it.

Ah ok, he probably performs a more aggressive takedown, trip or throw. Push the Right Stick towards your opponent to Clinch. Once you have both arms around him from the standing position (It's called Double Underhooks) try holding R1 and rotating the Right Stick clockwise, (Half circle). This will peform a throw, trip, slam, depending on the fighter your using. These trips, slams or throws are all stat specific. If the figher has a strong wrestling base, then his throws/slams/trips will be more aggressive.

The game will have a complex tutorial, it's a great place to start. Although having a decent understanding of MMA goes a long, long way.

edit: Ah..i dont think i ever hold down Rb when attempting a take down. Cheers, the more i play it the more i like! Defo picking it up.

Last edited:
edit: Ah..i dont think i ever hold down Rb when attempting a take down. Cheers, the more i play it the more i like! Defo picking it up.

For a takedown, a 'Shoot' from distance, hold L2 and push the Right Stick towards your opponent. To perfom a takedown from the Clinch ( after you pushed the Right Stick towards your opponent to grab him from close range) then it's R1 and circle the Right Stick half or 3/4 circle clockwise. :)

You are barely scratching the surface of this game to be honest.

Press Pause at anytime during a fight, and from all scenarios and situations. This will bring up your Action List, and show you all the possible and relevant moves, strikes and options. Very helpful.

Simulation mode is where it's at, Stamina is affected by everything so you really need to be aware with regards everything you do. Otherwsie you'll gass out. Also, press Pause go to Game Options, and turn Fighter Hud On.

Last edited:
Full circle is called a Major Transition. A half circle is called a Minor Transition. Alternatively, using the new Amateur Controls, you can just push Up or Down.

Fairly sure that isn't right. A quarter circle is a minor transition and a half/ threee quarter circle is a major transition

Your right it is Dave, 1/4 and halfs and 3/4's. For new players to the controls, I've found that helps.

Last edited:

Great finish by the way. :)

Try playing on Simulation, far more satisfying and realistic in my opinion. Stamina has an effect on everything. You may need to put the HUD on though first to gauge just how much stamina is being depleted, and where.

Also, try using Feints.

From range, try holding R1 + R2 then press kick or punch. Follow that straight up with a takedown. It works brilliantly on the higher difficulty levels.

Played the demo with mates and have seen some amazing finishes

Its alot more realistic now you can pounce on them after knocking them down as well

Gonna be a cracking game this

I find the Pride commentary so irritating, it's as poor as the WWE games. Lines lack emotion, they seems really generic and it regularly misses the key action points and instead the game triggers a line of commentary on the next jab. So they fail to mention the near knock out jumping knee to the heading and blab on about how important it is to use jabs or something.

I haven't touched anything other than Simulation and doubt that I will. It plays much smarter that way.

The only thing I'm worried about is the damage and how quickly fights still end. Hopefully they'll have tweaked this so a lot of fights actually go to decision this time around.

I'll ask the more informed from here, how much is this than UFC 2009, I thought that was a decent start but got boring, how much better is this and is it something to get excited about?

EDIT: Got my answers from above *runs to check out demo*

Why have they still not fixed the judges score cards appearing BEFORE the ring announcer announces then? It totally shits all over the tension of not knowing who won when it pops up JUST before Bruce Buffer is about to reveal all.

I find the Pride commentary so irritating, it's as poor as the WWE games. Lines lack emotion, they seems really generic and it regularly misses the key action points and instead the game triggers a line of commentary on the next jab. .

:CONFUSE:

Gobsmacked by that comment to be honest. The Pride commentray is ridiculously authentic, and it's regarded throughout the UFC 3 Community as the best and most realistic side of the whole game.

ho wlong do most fights in real ufc last?

often a lot of tiem is spent grappling in ground?

How long is a piece of string ? Anything from 4 seconds to 25 minutes in a Title or Main Event bout.

They have it nailed for me in this regard, especially on the higher levels and Simulation Mode.

For me it's all about how you choose to play the game, whether that be in a Simulated type approach, or a Arcade Rock n' Sock'em. You can do both. I'm finding alot of my fights in Pride on Expert are going the distance and to points. This is mainly down to the fact I'm playing in a Simulated approach.

Why have they still not fixed the judges score cards appearing BEFORE the ring announcer announces then? It totally shits all over the tension of not knowing who won when it pops up JUST before Bruce Buffer is about to reveal all.

Eh ? :CONFUSE:

That doesnt happen now does it ? He reads as the scores from each individual judge are shown on screen.

Last edited:
On mine they show each rounds score as he says it

Me and a mate had about 7 games on it last night on pride mode last night(simulation as always) and 3 or 4 went to the judges out of them

When your used to the ground game and clinching alot of time is used with you waiting for openings and defending, also with sim mode on you can only throw 1 or 2 combos and then you have to wait to get your breath back before going again so that's slows the game down as well

Anyone pre ordered to get Diaz, Stann, Miller and Davis? Overeem's available on facebook as well

Can't wait to try some of the fighters in this game, there are too many i wanna test out :)

Here's what's available in DLC

http://electronictheatre.co.uk/xbox...undisputed-3-dlc-season-pass-program-revealed

I've pre-ordered from Play.Com for the DLC, also registered on Facebook for the Reem.

This game is going to take up so much of my spare time, like you Coopz, I cant wait to try out all these new fighters and weight classes. And then there is Pride......... Jeez, are you kidding me ? :WOOT::TU:

I knocked out Rampage last night with a flying knee, on Expert level/Simulation Mode. There was only 9 seconds left of the first round, but what a way to finish him. I had rocked him a few times already, and I was aware that there wasnt long left in the round, then Boom !! Goodnight Page.

I will upload it when I get home, in HD. ;)

YouTube - Wandy - Flying Knee

Last edited:
Nice KO

I think you can save replays now can't you? There's a setting that says record or something in the options. That will be amazing if you can

I hope career mode is better this time as well, it was a bit of a mess last time so i didn't play it properly

:CONFUSE:

Gobsmacked by that comment to be honest. The Pride commentray is ridiculously authentic, and it's regarded throughout the UFC 3 Community as the best and most realistic side of the whole game.

I didn't say it wasn't authentic, though I'd have no idea having never watched Pride. I just find it a let down after how good and emotional the UFC side sounds. It sounds flat.

Eh ? :CONFUSE:

That doesnt happen now does it ? He reads as the scores from each individual judge are shown on screen.

I've just tried again and what I see is mike goldberg tells you they're going to Bruce buffer for the judges decision.

He then says something like

"the judges score the match with a unanimous decision"... then he pauses for dramatical effect leaving you guessing 'who? who won?'

But the scores pop up at that same 'pause' moment spoiling it.

When the computer gets u in gorudn and pund and starts beating ur head can u ever get out of that?

Cuase if you just block the eventually break through your block.

If you use stick to try to roll out of position they are free to pound your face

I didn't say it wasn't authentic, though I'd have no idea having never watched Pride. I just find it a let down after how good and emotional the UFC side sounds. It sounds flat.

Couldnt disagree more. The best commentary I've heard in a long time. They are even specific about parts like Liver Shots, Leg Kicks, and they even recognise combinations, left bodyshot, right hook etc. If you have never seen Pride, you'll never appreciate just how authentic this is, even down to Lenne Hardt announcing.

When the computer gets u in gorudn and pund and starts beating ur head can u ever get out of that?

Cuase if you just block the eventually break through your block.

If you use stick to try to roll out of position they are free to pound your face

You can block and sway to avoid the shots, then look to take block off and then Major Transition (Half Circle on R/Stick). Alternatively, if he is postured up in the Mount (On your chest) press R1 and Major Transition will sweep you to Half Guard Top. Another option is to grab hold of him, this is more risky if using the Catch Punch option which is push R3 in. If you time it right though, you will grab hold, then a Major Transition will get you to Half Guard Bottom. Major Trans again to Full Guard, and once again to kick him off. On all levels below Expert, they wont reverse you for the most part.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom