iOS Gaming

pboreham

Kick. Snare. Hat. Ride.
5 August 2002
C*lchester
Southend Utd
Perhaps mods could sticky this? I know there is a seperate iPhone thread in the 'Tech' board, but this would be dedicated to the Games?

I must admit I sniggered when Apple said the iPod/iPhone would rival the DS/PSP as the most powerful handheld gaming device - and when the Gadget Show said the same.

But I will say after owning one for around a week now, I will eat my words and say I can see where they are coming from!

Superb graphics, fluid gameplay, great control mech and low cost games - I seriously think this could become a great handheld gaming machine. The only real flaw I can see is the battery life when gaming.

I'm enjoying Bejeweled 2, Peggle, Frenzic and BookWorm more than any other PS3/360 game at the moment. My limited gaming time means these are the perfect pick-up-and-play tonics!

I also downloaded the demo of 'X-Plane' last night, which shows how powerful the iPod is under the hood - and the preview of Sims 3 looks equally as impressive.

So iPod/iPhone peeps - what games are keeping you fiddling your fingers?

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: iPhone/iPod Touch Gaming

Totally agree with you mate. I am loving Peggle at the mo, Backgammon is great, Top 3 Solitaire is great, Labyrinth is fun, Real Football 09 is pretty good (in an old school PES way). Monopoly Worldwide, Texas HoldEm, Uno are all great. And I really love ShuffleBoard :)).

Crystal Defenders. Its a tower defence game by Square Enix and set in the Final Fantasy world. Very addictive.

Just recently tried out the Resident Evil game too. The graphics and gameplay were very impressive. Its just a shame we dont have a game controller shell/add on for the iPhone yet.

Perhaps mods could sticky this? I know there is a seperate iPhone thread in the 'Tech' board, but this would be dedicated to the Games?

I must admit I sniggered when Apple said the iPod/iPhone would rival the DS/PSP as the most powerful handheld gaming device - and when the Gadget Show said the same.

But I will say after owning one for around a week now, I will eat my words and say I can see where they are coming from!

Superb graphics, fluid gameplay, great control mech and low cost games - I seriously think this could become a great handheld gaming machine. The only real flaw I can see is the battery life when gaming.

I'm enjoying Bejeweled 2, Peggle, Frenzic and BookWorm more than any other PS3/360 game at the moment. My limited gaming time means these are the perfect pick-up-and-play tonics!

I also downloaded the demo of 'X-Plane' last night, which shows how powerful the iPod is under the hood - and the preview of Sims 3 looks equally as impressive.

So iPod/iPhone peeps - what games are keeping you fiddling your fingers?

i dont see platform games or even sports games working well with a touchscreen controls.

i will stick to my trust psp ;)

I still think that the iPhone wont fully challenge the PSP/DS etc or their next iterations. Granted their are some good titles like Rolando and Peggle but the lack of buttons is a serious factor from it being a major portable gaming platform. The main factor as to why the media have been going ga-ga over it is the well achieved distribution method.

Look at the Wii, that hasnt really got traditional controllers, but is doing ok for itself!

Oddly enough, whilst not 100% perfect, the onscreen D-Pad and buttons in some games work really well - I've not tried it in Real Soccer yet, but it works well in Terminator (vertical scrolling shoot-em up).

And just like the Wii, its about getting the right game to work with the controller.

The touch screen controlled games are perfect - and couldnt be done as well on PSP, Wii, PS3 or XBOX.

Bejeweled is a perfect example - sliding the gems around with your finger is 100 times better than using a d-pad (as in the 360 version). Just the same, the iPod couldnt really do a FPS style game.

Racers work very well though with the tilting action.

Downloaded 'WestGuns' earlier (59p), used to love this as a good. Its got such a basic premise (3 doors open randomly, shoot the bad guys, avoid the good guys), but its a brilliant time waster.

See 'Space Ace' was released today too...

This is a great news feed site for iPod games if anyone cares!

http://toucharcade.com/

I care :)). Cheers for the link, that seems a good website!

Cheers Tim!

Another game I can recommend:-

Scrabble (really!) - 2 player Wi-Fi is great, can even crash/disconnect and then carry on where you left off.

The new boxing game looks good too - seen a vid of it, but dont think its out yet (couldnt find it anyway)... "TouchKO".

Looks and plays a lot like Fight Night. Using your fingers to control punches and moving the ipod to duck/dodge. Even got the same thing as FN between rounds where you have to do the cuts/swelling.

One to keep an eye on...

With the scrabble, do you both have to be on the same WiFi network?

I haven't downloaded that many apps, but Flight Control is pretty addictive.

There was a bloke sitting next to me on the train last night, and at first glance it looked like he was bashing one out. I guess you should be a bit selective about the games you play in crowded areas!

I haven't downloaded that many apps, but Flight Control is pretty addictive.

There was a bloke sitting next to me on the train last night, and at first glance it looked like he was bashing one out. I guess you should be a bit selective about the games you play in crowded areas!

He was probably playing 'iWank' - 59p on the App Store.

They really have an 'app for everything'. :LOL:

Thread stickied but not because I was playing that.

pboreham;1646048 This is a great news feed site for iPod games if anyone cares! [URL="http://toucharcade.com/" said:

Nice find! Following them on Twitter and subscribed to their RSS feed. Seems like a great site.

I'm currently playing Toki Tori at the minute. It got an 8.5 from IGN and is a very addictive stragegy puzzler. Highly recommended!

Some great iPhone games announced at E3 including:-

* Real Racing (looks superb, TOCA like with a cockpit view)
* DJ Mix Tour - GH Clone, but with Hip-Hop music
* Real Tennis 2009 (looks like VT)
* FIFA 10
* Mass Effect Galaxy
* C&C Red Alert

These are just some that caught my eye! Tennis and Real Racing should be out in th enext week.

Cool, be interesting to see how Real Tennis plays, as Real Football is pretty good.

I've played some games on a mate's iPod Touch, some of them really are quite good. I expected them just to be like any other phone Java games but they are actually competitive with PSP/DS games and the touch screens make some of them much better.

I was thinking about getting an iPhone on PAYG when I broke my last phone, but then I saw the price... enough said :LOL:.
I might ask for an iPod Touch for Christmas (long time away, I know), they seem very good.

Selling mine Rob - only just over a week old! We liked ours so much, that we went out and got iPhones on Sunday :)

Just got a cracking 'new' game (free) - Lexel - very good word puzzler! Cannot believe people make games this good and then give them away - even for 59p you are gonna make a load of money.

Downloaded Tiger Woods, Assassins Creed, TNA and Pinball Dreams last night. It was late and not really had chance to play them much, but all seem really good - this handheld/phone/media player just keep surprising me with its quality!

Cheers mate, I got Lexel too and it is brilliant :)). My high score is currently 7300 odd. But my missus just got 8500 odd!

Really excited for Real Tennis, Real Racing (the graphics look incredible) and FIFA 10 which I'm sure is a way off but what the hell, FIFA ON THE IPHONE!! :D

I've seen that video quite a bit but I still can't get over how good it looks. The iPhone seriously is a massive contender in the handheld market and that game just shows why.

Can't wait for it!

Wow, that actually looks really good - better than any PSP game i've played.

When is Real Racing due out? And do we know how much it will be yet?

Back
Top Bottom