Dead Island

I read that ign have a preview up and the 3 words they use to describe the game are: goofy, wacky and silly. The games supposed to be almost the complete opposite to the trailer.

Last edited:
Yeah exactly, I thought that trailer was brilliant, but to have it labelled funny and silly doesn't sound like my cup of tea.

A Silent Hill type game I would've liked with a good story.

FD

So.... it's Dead Rising on an island.

30621383.png

Last edited:
Here we go...

Dead Island trailer family not in game
After wowing the Internet with an amazing teaser trailer, one of the first previews of Dead Island has ended up describing the game as, 'silly, wacky and goofy'.

http://www.metro.co.uk/tech/games/857334-dead-island-trailer-family-not-in-game

In what may prove to be most misleading trailer of all time, it seems that Dead Island is aiming to be a light-hearted zombie basher along the lines of Dead Rising, rather than the sombre heart-wrencher that the trailer implies.

A number of American previews turned up at the weekend, but perhaps the most revealing was IGN's, which attempted to sum up the game in just three words. Those words were: 'Silly. Wacky. Goofy.'

It turns out the game is a first person hack 'n' slash with a focus on action rather than drama. Left 4 Dead is also an influence, with a four-player co-operative mode. You pick a class when starting the game and remain immune to zombification for its entirety.

Instead of the haunting piano music from the trailer the real game has a heavy metal soundtrack.

It's all starting to sound as if the team making the game had no idea what the ones doing the CGI trailer were up to, and vice versa.

Perhaps most damning is the news that the holidaying family from the trailer aren’t even in the game.

'It shows no one is safe,' said a Techland developer to website Kotaku. 'Some people made it out, but some didn't and the family dies. That may be difficult to accept.'

Judging by the letters we're already starting to get in about it in the Inbox, we suspect Techland are going to need to do a massive U-turn on all this if they're to keep people on board.

Read more: http://www.metro.co.uk/tech/games/857334-dead-island-trailer-family-not-in-game#ixzz1G0PmQisi

:LOL:

Some of you guys proved that a person can be totally fooled by a well done CG! For me that have a name: False Advertising.

:LOL:

I wouldn't say anyone was 'fooled'. They showed us a trailer and we looked at what we could see right in front of us and assumed that's the game we were getting.

Quite annoying.

I wouldn't say anyone was 'fooled'. They showed us a trailer and we looked at what we could see right in front of us and assumed that's the game we were getting.

Quite annoying.

A CG is NEVER a representation of any real game, people should know that already. In this case that´s even more ridiculous because the persons that made the CG have no idea how is the game or they made it on purpose to create a false hype about the game.

CGI trailers usually share some kind of element of the real game though. I wouldn't say they 'never' represent the real game.

If you see zombies chasing someone in a trailer... usually that happens in the game. It doesn't usually turn into a kart racing game with zombies as opponents.
If you see a shooter game and the CGI shows people getting shot, planes flying over head and explosions... you usually get that in the full game...
Boxing games have cgi with boxers getting beaten up... again usually happens in the game.

I think most people expected this game to follow the same kind of tone set by the cgi video. They weren't fooled into thinking that... they were just miss-led.

I can't think of any examples of CGI showing a game to be one thing, and then the full game turns out completely different.

To be honest I didn't think the family would be in the game, but the tone of the trailer should at least convey the tone of the final product. This looked like it was going down the Heavy Rain route, but unfortunately no.

It's an odd move, on one hand it got everyone talking about what's most likely going to be a pretty rubbish game that would have probably slipped under the radar, but on the other side, all talk has gone from excitement to negativity. So the trailer's probably been really counter productive.

If it does turn out to be crap (seriously, that beautiful score replaced with heavy metal??!) then those guys who created the trailer should find a much better company to showcase what they can do. Those people are seriously talented.

Last edited:
Think I'd pay the money for the trailer only rather than the game.

One of the best (certainly emotional) trailers I've ever saw and they've hit it with seemingly a pile of pish of a game.

I think it'll be worth a rent judging by that trailer. Don't know about day one purchase though still a bit 'meh' about it all.

This game is out on the 9th Sept, haven't seen any reviews yet though, anyone else seen any?

Seems strange there is so few reviews so close to the release date, but 8.5/10 is promising. Really hoping it's decent, could be a great game to play with a few friends.

Thanks

Seems strange there is so few reviews so close to the release date, but 8.5/10 is promising. Really hoping it's decent, could be a great game to play with a few friends.

Thanks

There´s probably a review embargo, it happens with some games, the review can only be published after the game is released. It´s the same with Resistance 3 that will also be released on September 6th.

Eurogamer's review felt a little biased. Like they went into the game expecting it to be bad and then focused in all the problems. The best compliment they gave to the game was one line long and with no detailed reasons as to WHY they felt that way. "despite the problems I still enjoyed the game". Well why when you've spent most of the review outlining it's bad points?

Ign's sounded more promising. They list the bugs/problems in full and then continued on saying how much fun the game is despite all that.

I may give this a look, ill have to read up in a few other reviews.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom