NBA 2K12 - The G.O.A.T. Revisited

tobi

"Clear Eyes Full Hearts Can't Lose."
5 August 2005
Spurs, Suns and Cowboys
First 2K12 screen shot.

1309460812-media.jpg

The player models look improved, the crowd are wearing blue so hopefully that's related to improved playoff atmosphere.

Last edited:
Re: NBA 2K11 - G.O.A.T.

:TTTH: There's going to be no NBA 2K12 next season mate. However we will have a similar game called Lockout 2K12.

How good can NBA 2K12 get ? 2K11 is a fucking bomb already

+1

i hope they just fix the menu screens in terms of simplicity and add national teams to the game.

everything else is already perfect.

There are a lot of things that they can improve. And, unlike in other sports games, we all know that they WILL improve it. It's the best sports game of all time and they will make it even better, without a doubt. Very pumped with this first screen. The ambience can be amazing. Models look much improved.

I have a lot of faith in 2k.

:TTTH: There's going to be no NBA 2K12 next season mate. However we will have a similar game called Lockout 2K12.

The game will still release as usual just like Madden will despite the NFL lockout, NBA Today won't there though, or it won't be active rather.

The National Teams were exclusive to EA, no idea whether how long the contract was though.

It would be nice to see NT some day in 2K12 but I guess EA has a long term contract with FIBA, can't find the accurate info tough.

I mean, yes, surely there's going to be NBA 2K12 but I wonder how they will make the teams. Right now, the Knicks only have 7 players in their roster, the Hornets 5, etc, etc. I presume they are using last year rosters updating them with the rookies and activate the NBA Today once lockout ends.

284876_10150726117885305_221292025304_19537679_2924713_n.jpg

283451_10150726117195305_221292025304_19537664_3919830_n.jpg

281444_10150726117520305_221292025304_19537672_7650905_n.jpg

Press Release:

New York, NY – July 21, 2011 – 2K Sports announced today that NBA® 2K12, the next installment of the top-rated and best-selling NBA video game simulation franchise*, will offer three separate covers for the PlayStation®3 computer entertainment system and Xbox 360®video game and entertainment system from Microsoft featuring three of the NBA’s greatest legends of all time, Michael Jordan, Larry Bird and Magic Johnson.

The new stylized NBA 2K12 covers are a unique, one-time departure from the traditional 2K Sports brand artwork, and will spotlight each legendary athlete on his famous team: the Chicago Bulls, Boston Celtics, and Los Angeles Lakers. The covers featuring Bird and Johnson will be available at launch in a limited quantity.

A new feat in sports gaming, this three-part collection extends the strong legacy established by NBA 2K11, which has sold-in more than 5 million units worldwide and garnered over 20 video game accolades, including 14 ‘Sports Game of the Year’ honors.

“Bringing Michael Jordan to the virtual hardwood last year was a huge success for NBA 2K11; however, we didn’t want to stop there,” said Jason Argent, vice president of marketing for 2K Sports. “We’re bringing ‘His Airness’ back to the NBA 2K franchise as part of a multi-year extended partnership, along with two other legendary icons – Larry Bird and Magic Johnson – for a special cover athlete collection representing the NBA’s greatest heroes.”

The unprecedented, stylized artwork covers underscore 2K Sports’ passion for bringing fans authentic NBA basketball across generations, while celebrating the legacy of legendary hoops athletes, past and present.

The cover artwork for NBA 2K12 was created by Adam Larson of Adam&Co. Larson has created dynamic artwork for galleries, magazines and various product advertising campaigns. His work has received numerous honors, including the Kelly Awards, Cannes Lions, Clio Awards, and two primetime Emmy nominations

NBA 2K12 can now be pre-ordered from leading video game retailers nationwide, and will be available on October 4, 2011, for the PlayStation 3, PlayStation®2 computer entertainment system, Xbox 360, Wii™ system, PSP® (PlayStation®Portable) system and Windows PC.

And, from Kotaku:

A pre-order bonus could be a hint at what that might entail. Preorders will receive codes for two classic teams for use in the game, the 1990-1991 Golden State Warriors of Chris Mullin, Tim Hardaway and Mitch Richmond, and the 2000-2001 Sacramento Kings of Chris Webber, Vlade Divac and Jason Williams.

Re: NBA 2K12

I liked them

2K11 set the bar pretty high, but I can still see this game improving like A LOT.
and not only looks, I'm talking about gameplay also, specially AI of team mates.

Yea yea I said it, I criticized 2K11. But just a tiny bit :EMB:

The game’s AI has also seen a lot of tweaking. For example, the same zone defense scheme that the Dallas Mavericks used to best the Heat now plays much more smartly. One of the complaints about defensive players in last year’s game was their Spidey Sense-like ability to reach and arm out and deflect a pass without even looking. The team admitted that it was a band-aid meant to discourage players from running their player down court before their team was going to get a rebound and then having the rebounder pass the ball to the now-wide-open man down court. In NBA 2K12, issues like that have had time to be addressed much more thoroughly.
The AI system has been completely rewritten to be more dynamic. In last year’s game, the AI would run specific plays, which could often lead to the player figuring out the plays and making the appropriate jumps on the ball over and over. Worse still, when the AI had its play snuffed out, they would default to a generic brand of basketball intelligence, defaulting to simple plays. The new system is now much more divergent, giving the AI more options if their primary options aren’t available. This keeps the players on their feet and makes the AI more of a challenge as well as more like a human opponent, which should do well to extend the life of the game.
The live ball physics forced me to watch my play style immediately because no longer could I make contact with people without paying careful attention to the ball. I lost handle of the ball a lot early on because I would be running down the court and I would basically dribble it off my own teammate inattentively -- something the game rarely accounted for in last year’s game. Not only did it help make me feel like I was playing a more accurate brand of basketball, but I got to experience some of those aforementioned intense scrambles for possession and they were exciting.
A lot of other subtle touches have been made that won’t be lost on fans of last year’s game. The entire first row of the crowd is now live. That is, it’s fully possible to interact with them; for example, diving into the first row while trying to keep the ball in bounds or having a lunging defensive player’s momentum take him over the scorer’s table. The facial animations and character models have all seen tweaks in the name of authentic player representation and the team was particularly happy with white players finally having a more realistic looking skin tone.

Full Preview

So far so good.

Best Sport game ever gets even better. I want a larry bird cover. Now. After roaming the pes and fifa threads, this feels like a next generation game, and feels comfortable to see how 2k really get the sport and get gaming at the same time. Very hyped.

The AI system has been completely rewritten to be more dynamic. In last year’s game, the AI would run specific plays, which could often lead to the player figuring out the plays and making the appropriate jumps on the ball over and over. Worse still, when the AI had its play snuffed out, they would default to a generic brand of basketball intelligence, defaulting to simple plays. The new system is now much more divergent, giving the AI more options if their primary options aren’t available. This keeps the players on their feet and makes the AI more of a challenge as well as more like a human opponent, which should do well to extend the life of the game.

Holy... looks like they read my mind, this was exactly what I was talking about above.

2K :WORSHIP:

New mode announced today.

Last year, gamers and basketball fans alike went absolutely nuts recreating and reliving the most exciting moments of Michael Jordan's career (at least, virtually) in the groundbreaking "NBA 2K11." How do you top it? How about recreating the best moments in the careers of 15 of the NBA's greatest players, then giving gamers the ability to test the current crop of ballers out in a battle of say, DR. J's Sixers versus LeBron and the Heat.

That's the concept behind "NBA 2K12's" new NBA's Greatest mode. In the feature, gamers will play through some of the most memorable moments of 15 legends and their teams, including Michael Jordan, Magic Johnson, Larry Bird, Dr. J, and Kareem Abdul Jabbar. As you play through the mode, you will then be able to unlock these teams and legends in order to match them up against current greats like Kobe's Lakers and Dirk's Mavs.

"One of the things we're really proud of as a franchise is that we've transcended video games and have become part of the talk about basketball and the NBA," says Jason Argent, 2K's vice president of marketing. "So we're going to leverage that with 'NBA 2K12' as every person who loves to debate sports, every person in every barber shop and bar and everywhere else always wonders: What would happen if today's Lakers played one of the Jordan teams?

"We're playing into that with NBA's Greatest. It's really the next evolution of what everyone loved about The Jordan Challenge."

And while 2K has only announced five of the legends who will be appearing in the mode so far, they say part of the fun will be to hear the debate on who the remaining ten players should be.

"We want to get people talking," says Argent. "We want to get fans engaged in the next couple of weeks before we announce the rest of the roster."
vg_legend_5_200.jpg

ESPN

I welcome this as long as its not limited to eight minute quarters like the Jordan Challenge in 2K11.

I unlocked that mode via a menu cheat code, played one game but the game must have locked it again because it didn't let me back in!

Update

Though Argent was tight-lipped on other features for NBA 2K12, he did reveal a significant upgrade to the NBA Today feature, which updates the roster and player ratings throughout the season. This year, when Kobe Bryant debuts new sneakers or if LeBron James dons a new tattoo, this will also be updated. Argent went as far to say that hair styles will also change to reflect a player's new 'do. For diehard NBA fans, this upgrade will keep your season visually in sync with what's happening on the court.

CBS via OS

:COOL:

Last edited:
I unlocked that mode via a menu cheat code, played one game but the game must have locked it again because it didn't let me back in!

I did via cheat code too, and yes it did locked it again, but I used the same cheat code and now its working fine, maybe it was some update that locked it.

But I don't think I'll ever see the face transformation, 82 (or more) games is just :SHOCK:

and current Bulls with MJ is just cheese :LOL:

What sounds better, The GOAT Revisited or The GOAT and Friends?

Any other suggestions for the thread title...

Just love it! Now, who will be in the game? Apparently there are going to be 15 superstars of all times. My guesses:

Sure:
- Jordan
- Erving
- Magic
- Bird
- Kareem

Guesses:
- Chamberlain
- Bill Russell
- Olajuwon
- Malone
- Stockton
- Barkley
- Jerry West
- Shaquille
- Baylor
- Isaiah Thomas

Just love it! Now, who will be in the game? Apparently there are going to be 15 superstars of all times. My guesses:

Sure:
- Jordan
- Erving
- Magic
- Bird
- Kareem

Guesses:
- Chamberlain
- Bill Russell
- Olajuwon
- Malone
- Stockton
- Barkley
- Jerry West
- Shaquille
- Baylor
- Isaiah Thomas

Get the f*ck out of there! :CURSE:

:LOL: Jokes apart, he was one of the greatest PGs in NBA History. Fantastic player, sh*t general manager, that's what Zeke is.

Overall, your list is pretty accurate, I would just replace Baylor for Oscar Robertson or even Scottie Pippen. The old Baylor was a good player though. :))

Unfortunately I have to agree that any Bocker deserves a mention on this. Clyde, King and Pat were good but not GREAT. :(

Personally I think a Bill Laimbeer Mode would be great. Just hugging and punching people around. But they could replace some of the old times players in my list with people like Pat Ewing, Drexler or even Wilkins, as they already had their models for the last year game.

Back
Top Bottom