Diablo 3

It's getting destroyed by user reviews at the moment for various reasons. I'm pretty disappointed as I loved the first two games.

Anyone got it yet?

It's probably not my sort of game, but I had a quick look at the official site the other day and saw this;

Use the Real Money Auction House to buy and sell items for real world currency. Then draw on your earnings to buy ever more powerful items or cash out your trades, take the money, and run. The choice is yours.

Does that mean that I could buy the game, be a "swordsmith" or whatever they call them in-game, make loads of weapons in my free time (which of late I've had/will have a lot of) without bothering with quests and make real money from it? :LOL:

There isn't really a crafting speciality like in Elder Scrolls - you have to play the game normally to get better at everything.

The game has been getting terrible reviews on metacritic. I'm gonna take a wait and see approach. If they improve the servers I might pick it up.

The terrible reviews are mostly by users complaining about servers and the "online lock", that means you have to be 100% of the time online with a breadband connection to play the game, even for solo campaing.

The game is actually good, very similar to other 2 but more simplyfied in stats and powers. But the fact that we depend on blizzard servers to play offline games is really a shit...

But the fact that we depend on blizzard servers to play offline games is really a shit...

Yep, queueing to get on a server just to play a single-player game is awful.

But otherwise it's a pretty good game. Not sure if I prefer Torchlight to it though.

What do you guys thing of the single player story? Peeps are saying that its not that good.

What do you guys thing of the single player story? Peeps are saying that its not that good.

I am enjoying it, people complaining that it is short is mainly because they don´t care exploring all areas and dungeons.

I still didn't play coop online, maybe can play with some of you guys. People are saying that playing on high levels with friends is much better than solo campaign.

I've heard that Diablo devs moved over to Runic and are the ones behind Torchlight. Is that true? Reminds me of Champ and Football manager.

Considering the hype, pre-release reviews and develop time the game doesn't look impressive. Simplified skill system, lack of inovations (minus the graphics look like expansion to diablo 2). The worst of all is forcing to replay the storyline numerous times to get at maximum levels, i expected the game world would be big enough to get your character's maximum abilities before fighting final boss.

Might still get the game when the hype will be over and the price drop (no offline mode is a bs). Loved diablo 2 as it was one of my first pc game and i have some sentiments for the franchise.

Being completely new to the franchise and also to this genre of gaming, I'm finding it really very good. Not sure how good the other games looked, but I think this is a beautiful looking game - perhaps people not running it on full details etc?

Love the little atmospheric bits of the game, the smoke drifting around, the chaos of the battle with sparks and fire etc flying everywhere, random bats, birds, rats etc - lots of nice touches and as I say, I think its a real nice looking game.

I believe the gameplay hasnt changed (cant comment on that) but from a very quick go of Torchlight, I see its most likely the same as all of these action RPGs. Lots of left and right clicking!! Good fun though and the looting, crafting etc keeps it all interesting.

I reckon a lot of the hate is both due to the day 1 probs and the constant online. I couldnt get on day 1, but I really dont know what people expect - ok yea, you *should* be able to get online, but its the same old story every major release, so not sure why people were so surprised. Was only a few hours too, its been fine since Wednesday.

The constant online thing? Why are people moaning? Its not like anyone switches their broadband off and I'll stick my neck out and presume 99.999999% of anyone playing this game are gonna be on broadband anyways? Wheres the problem? I like it - you've got instant access to MP games, friends dropping in and out and constant cloud saving.

As I said, maybe because the genre is fresh to me, but I'm liking this as one of games of the year so far... beats FPSs and sports games!

Last edited:
Torchlight 2 looks more like sequel of diablo 2 than diablo 3:
*Devs from diablo 2
*Offline/lan mode
*Modding possibility
*skill trees
*more than 4 players coop

Tried beta and its really quality game for its genre. If u preorder it from steam u also get a torchlight 1 too !

Shame (though probably not coincidental) that they are releasing it so close to Diablo as the gameplay is pretty much identical on the surface.

If I had both, I'd play Diablo - at least right now. Maybe I'll check out Torchlight 2 down the line.

So I was a HUGE Diablo and Diablo II fanatic - sunk almost as many hours into those as PES. Been waiting for Diablo III for the best part of a decade now...

Blizzard are a little bit like Apple. They don't give a crap what users say they want, or what the market wants them to do - they just build what they want to and then the public love it. Part of my respects that, but it also annoys me.

Anyway, Diablo III manages to feel incredibly similar to DII - certainly not 10 years evolution! - but it's still ridiculously fun. If you can get over the network issues (of which I've had many) the gameplay is bizarrely addictive, doesn't feel repetitive (even though it is) and doesn't get old (even though it should).

You don't play the game for the story, you don't play it for the characters and I can't really get why you do play it. But it's addictive, fun, entertaining, manic, adrenaline-pumping and glorious.

I want to hate it, but I love it.

Still waiting for my local gamestation to stock it, so I can trade in a few games for it.

Though the idea of a real money auction house makes me slightly disgusted.

Definitely - the real money thing sucks. BUT, it isn't even implemented yet, so you have a little while to go.

Back
Top Bottom