Saints Row : The Third

Scutch

Futsal Master
31 October 2006
Cumbria, UK
Tottenham Hotspur
I'm still to play Saints Row 1 or 2, but have been told they are better games than Grand Theft Auto and offer far more customisation and depth. That I'm very dubious about.

Regardless :

In Saints Row: The Third, players will once again be introduced to the 3rd Street Saints, but the setting has been changed dramatically. The game will now be based in the rundown city of Steelport and will feature a single antagonist: Belgian gangster Phillipe Loren.

Along with a new setting and a new villain, Saints Row: The Third will offer players a number of new features. These include:

•Three rival gangs: Morning Star, the Luchadores, and the Deckers

•An upgradable main character

•Customizable vehicles and weapons

•Cooperative multiplayer (drop-in/drop-out enabled)

•Weapon-specific melee attacks

The developers at Volition plan on making Saints Row: The Third heavily choice-driven. Steelport will be filled with missions that have multiple outcomes, and players are encouraged to experiment and go crazy, as the game is not meant to be taken too seriously.

Saints Row: The Third is scheduled to launch this holiday season for the Xbox 360, PS3 and PC.

Re: [XB360/PS3/PC] Saints Row : The Third

sr3_2D00_06_5F00_LuchaScreaming.jpg

With its roots in gang warfare, the Saints Row series has always had a healthy selection of weaponry - pistols, SMGs, assault rifles, grenades...all of the genre standards. In addition to these traditional guns, some wackier tools of destruction like the chainsaw, satchel charge, sledgehammer, samurai sword, and a giant foam “pimp hand” have been available to players. Plenty of bloodshed happened thanks to the weapons we’ve already seen in the Saints Row series, but they’re nothing compared to what you’ll have access to in Saints Row: The Third.

Air Strike

Steelport’s three gangs will oftentimes become engaged in flashpoints, which see the gangsters coming together and partaking in some shady business. During our time at Volition, we saw a large group of Luchadores in a parking lot as they guarded palettes of drugs. Charging in with an AK and grenades might work if you’re skilled enough, but why risk it? With this laser-guided air strike, you can demolish large groups of enemies without directly engaging them. Simply use a laser to indicate where you want ground zero to be, and the area will soon be showered in what appears to be a napalm carpet bomb. What was once an intimidating collection of Luchadores turned into a bunch of scarred corpses with one of these strikes.

Predator Drone

Painting a target with a laser is a nice option, but why use that if you can personally drive an explosive package right into your enemy? Activating the drone will change the perspective to a top-down view similar to the AC-130 level in Modern Warfare. Standard bombs can be dropped with one trigger, while the other will release a smart bomb that you can precisely guide with the analog sticks. Destroying a high-value target with a standard bomb is a lot of fun, but it’s even better when you’re closing in on a vehicle from the perspective of a bomb you’re controlling.

2.jpg

RC Gun

Both the predator drone and air strike allow you to rain death from above, but this handy new weapon allows you to attack from the ground while still staying out of harm’s way. By shooting out an electronic bug, you can assume control of virtually any vehicle you see (it will initially control cars, but you can upgrade it to take over tanks and air vehicles). Once the bug is attached, you can drive the vehicle around just as you would if you were in the driver’s seat. You could take over a rival gang’s car and run over a few cops if you want to get them in some quick trouble, or fill a truck with explosives and send it into enemy territory if you’d like to deliver a bomb on wheels.

1.jpg

Upgrades

It was possible to upgrade some aspects of your weapons in Saints Row 2, but these bonuses were always tied to specific activities. Saints Row: The Third is going a different route, by offering a proper levelling system that opens up new perks and bonuses for purchase as you become more powerful. A standard shotgun can turn into the three-barreled Gravedigger if you have the cash, and assault rifles can receive scopes and grenade launchers. By upgrading weapons how you see fit, you’ll have much more say this time around when it comes to building your desired arsenal.

Sex Toy Bat

While it’s by no means the most subtle weapon in your arsenal, this floppy phallus packs a mean punch when used as a melee weapon. The top of this sex toy seems to have a mind of its own, wobbling around in a disturbing display of physics. Give a grandma a swift swing with this bat and you’ll witness a splash of blood and a body slamming against the pavement. It can’t feel good to get knocked out by the sex toy bat, but we think the insult may be worse than the injury in this case.

Sex toy bats and air strikes certainly won't be all you'll have at your disposal, as Volition hinted at several more ridiculous tools of destruction in Saints Row: The Third. We won't spoil any surprises here, but the more sadistic gamers will have plenty to look forward to when the game launches this holiday season.

saintscover610.jpg

saintscover610_2D00_2.jpg

I'm still to play Saints Row 1 or 2, but have been told they are better games than Grand Theft Auto and offer far more customisation and depth. That I'm very dubious about.

I wouldn't say better per se...

They're very fun and silly, lots of little games to do and silly objectives, insurance fraud is awesome fun, they tend to be quite rough in terms of performance and such but they're definitely great fun.

Ïîäñëåïîâàòûé ñ ïðèäóðüþ, ïó÷åãëàçûé ñ äóðüþ.

Liked the first 2 but this one sounds shit

Air strikes and Predator drones what the fuck?

Bollocks are they better than GTA.

They're cheap, shitty knock-offs which are basically a parody of GTA, I bought SR2 after hearing good things about it, terrible game...

It's not terrible by any means, it takes the silly stuff of previous GTAs and ramps it up considerably to end up a fun, silly sandbox GTA'esque game.

I didn't play the original, but loved Saints Row 2 - it was a huge amount of fun and one of my most played 360 games.

I wouldn't say SR2 was better than GTA4 as I loved them both, but where GTA4 went for a darker, grittier storyline, SR2 went for light-hearted, over-the-top silliness. It reminded me of the way GTA used to be in the past. It was rough around the edges and a bit glitchy, but offered loads of stupid missions and challenges (in a good way). GTA4 was very slick and polished but got a bit dull in parts and couldn't get near the level of customisation in SR2.

Looking forward to hearing more about SR3.

aye sr2 is like taking all the fun/light hearts elements of GTA and taking out all the serious sht. wheras gta4 was nearly full on srs ha

But the gfx are pretty shocking for a ps3 game...Its fun for a laugh and prob amazing if you are under 14.

I had more fun with the first two games than gta. Gta was far too serious in places and the humor was a mess.
I'm not impressed by the promise of hitting people with dildos in this but that's easily avoided. The customizing and character creating sounds great.
I really hope they bring back the safe cracking from the first game though. It was a great way to get money in the game and when it went wrong you'd get a great chase scene going.

I think the graphics have massively improved since the first two games, it's still a bit cartoony than say GTA IV but it's the style now rather than limitations in their engine or design.

I think the graphics look good aswell :DD looks like great fun, i never played the first two. This one looks great though.

Back
Top Bottom