General Sim Racing Thread

OPM

2 June 2003
New game by the creators of Shift / Shift 2. Finally without the boundaries EA set them, free to create what the community decides.

you can join and play monthly / weekly builds, suggest new ideas, participate in team meetings, etc. all for as little as 10€...:BOP:

game looks awesome...still have to give the first alpha a go...still, they've got my full support!

check it out:

www.wmdportal.com

Planned Features
- FRANCHISE MODE allows you to carve out a personalized career starting in the Karting world and then progressing on to whichever motorsport specialization you prefer including Rally, Touring Cars, Open-Wheel, GT, Le Mans, and many more!
- Play CO-OP with a friend as Driver/Co-Driver
- FULL TEAM MANAGEMENT… Have a large number of friends? Create, manage, and compete together!
- Experience the excitement of PIT STOPS like you’ve never seen before!
- Revolutionary PIT-2-CAR RADIO gives you the strategic advantage
- DYNAMIC Time Of Day & Localized Weather make every race unique and challenging
- 10+ GAME MODES covering every form of motorsport
- CLOUD-BASED SOCIAL NETWORK allows you to connect with friends, compare times & scores, compete and challenge each other, and share content
- USER-GENERATED CONTENT – Create your own liveries, decals, tuning setups, and even events! Then share them with the world – either for free, in-game credits or even real money!
- PUSHING TO THE LIMITS – Advanced physics, lighting, and AI

Last edited:
Re: C.A.R.S. - World of Mass Development / SMS

i played the alpha version and all i can say is it is in a much better state then RAGE lol

anybody still following? they made huge improvements and added shitloads of content, still available to sign up for a membership at their site

i still prefer rF2 at the moment but this is going the right way

001.jpg

7480566266_82248d3ea8_c.jpg

7473589216_6f293178db_b.jpg

pcars2012063018100923.png

7474600038_1750d76510_c.jpg

I'm really undecided on this one. I was quite excited for this game when it was first announced but these past few months I've read many negative comments about the game. I've yet to play it myself but a lot of people have spoken of the physics and handling being a little disappointing (too Shift-like, not sim enough) and SMS placing too much focus on graphics (which admittedly look fantastic). Also SMS have been accused of drifting away from the community-focused development approach.

Then again, many others are really pleased with C.A.R.S. so it would be wrong of me to dismiss this game without playing it. I think I'll wait and see with this one. However I do get the impression that SMS are developing this game in the wrong way i.e. spending too much time on graphics and not enough on the physics. SMS may be free of EA but their approach is very similar.

rFactor2 on the other hand looks a bit special. I like how the developers are really taking their time nailing down the physics and leaving the graphics and effects until last. That's the right way to do it in my opinion.

At the moment I'm addicted to Race 07/GTR Evo. Love the Simbin games so I can't wait for more GTR3 news.

you basically sound like you are a 100% in the same position i am in.

sums everything up pretty much spot on ;)

torn on CARS, liking rF, playing a lot of Race, impatient to see GTR 3 ;)

btw, have you seen the latest progress on rF2? personally i think their engine is starting to look better and better, and even if it is missing some of the "wow-effects" of CARS, i think it is going the more down-to-earth approach and looks incredibly realistic (while still beautiful, especially in the last 1 or 2 builds)
GRAB_011.JPG

GRAB_047.JPG

GRAB_042.JPG

OHBTr.jpg

GRAB_208.jpg

rfactor22012-06-1520-guf2t.jpg

GRAB_216.jpg

rF2 is starting to get there graphically. Actually I think those screens look more natural then the CARS ones. To be honest, graphics aren't that important to me as even a five year old game such as RACE 07 looks better than anything on the consoles. I'm sure all these new racing sims will look stunning. As long as it runs at 60fps at 1080p then I'm happy.

My worry with CARS is that it's being developed in tandem for the consoles. Despite the reassurances from SMS about the PC version, I have my doubts as to the finished product. I can't help feeling CARS will just be Shift 3 - a nice looking game with some nice features and plenty of content, but not very good in the physics department. We'll see.....

Other than rF2, Assetto Corsa (sp?) is really looking promising so can't wait for that. Game Stock Car is another one I need to have a look at. GTR3 is the other big one on the horizon but I'm a little concerned by the lack of news and the pace of development. Some Zandvoort pics surfaced a few days ago though....something at least. I really want to know the car line-up for GTR3 as they normally have a few licensed series like the WTCC or single seat formulas.

The thing I love about Simbin games is that you get a lot of licensed content out of the box so you don't have to mod the game at all if you want to. I think Race 07/GTR Evo are massively underrated - or at least not talked about as much - compared to the likes of rFactor and iRacing, but to me they are brilliant games.

Anyway, here are the latest GTR pics....

racesimcentral-simbin-Circuit-Park-Zandvoort.jpg

WIP_CPZ_2012_03_1.jpg

Last edited:

I might start a new thread for GTR3 when a bit more news arrives.

Mind you, the coming months are going to be very interesting for PC racing fans so perhaps a PC Racing thread is in order?

want me to rename this one? no problem at all

i am already glad GTR 3 will feature the Glickenhaus Ferrari P4, awesome car. should be fun to race against other gt machinery.

btw, did you buy rF2 already? i played it again yesterday for 1-2 hours, the force feedback is second to one. it feels incredibly realistic. if only they had more content up to this point that i enjoy (give me DTM! :)

i might just go ahead and start modding on my own, like in the old days (f1c 99-02, rF 1).

Last edited:
looking good. current release of CARS shows the gear you are in at the moment, but this seems better. (and for all games)

GTR 2 is probably one of the best games i ever played, cant wait for part 3, its gonna be crazy.. i still play race 07 & GT legends quite a bit.

atm ye im proper into simraceway, its f2p but it takes ages to unlock decent cars though..

for that kind of money i'd rather get the fanatec csr elite with switchable rims, from f1 to gt to whatever they plan to do ;)

2.jpg

1.jpg

the thrustmaster is awesome, but switchable wheels is just too awesome not to have. :D

Agreed, plus you get full compatibility with all formats on most Fanatec wheels.

I like the on-wheel LCD display on the Fanatec wheels. Does the Thrustmaster have the same? It's great being able to tweak settings on the wheel as well as in the game. Sometimes racing games (like GT5) don't have enough wheel options.

they are sort of the official partners of microsoft / turn 10, and have quite a good support.

i've written to their ceo thomas several times regarding some issues with my wheel (software related) and he got back to me in a day or two with a solution.

they rock. :) as soon as my "normal" csr dies i will be switching to that monster.

The Fanatic ones are the best on the market by quite a distance according to most reviews online.

They are configured best to work best with the XBOX 360 as when playing on PC and PS3 they apparently need abit of additional tuning.

But I just couldn't see myself spending that amount of money on a steering wheel as don't really play that many racing games anymore, which is why I would consider the G25 second hand.

G25 is probably the best deal if you are on PC (or PS3) only. Great price for a good quality wheel which includes a shifter (which Fanatec charge extra for). Not used one myself but everyone I know who owns one speaks highly of them. You can't go wrong with Logitech really. I had the DFGT before I got my CSR and I was a bit reluctant to let it go because it was such a well made, solid, quality wheel.

Any of you boys played Game Stock Car?

http://www.game-stockcar.com.br/en/index.html

Downloaded it today and played the one hour free trial. Bloody good game this. Anyone who likes their racing sims should give it a try. Don't worry, it's not much like Nascar, more like Aussie V8's with a touch of DTM. One of the best racing sims I've played to be honest.

The download is 2.95gb.

yeah i've got a copy. haven't tried the 2012 update yet though

Do you guys get Aussie V8 coverage on TV? They host one of the races here in Adelaide and it's good to watch live. Really close racing all round.

Do you guys get Aussie V8 coverage on TV? They host one of the races here in Adelaide and it's good to watch live. Really close racing all round.

Motors TV show it, although not live I don't think. I remember watching a race at Surfer's Paradise a while back - brutal but very exciting.

I'll have to check out the Aussie V8 mod.

Back
Top Bottom