PES 2017 Playtest impressions

I wonder how the ai "shoots".
Low shots only, again? Please nooo, I hope a play tester/reviewer answers asap...

This part is interesting, not strictly gameplay related

Condition Arrows

It’s all change on the condition arrow colour front. The upward arrow denoting highest form is blue, then comes green (second highest). Yellow is now the mid-point with orange (second lowest) and red (lowest) denoting poor conditions.

Feints

For anyone (me included) who likes a good feint then good news! Not only have more been added but they are now snappier and players react a lot quicker to the input of the user.

Free Kicks and Penalties

Despite a lick of paint (the free-kick / corner and penalty guides have both had redesigns) the system is largely the same as PES 2016.

Game Speed

I was surprised to find that PES 2017 is a lot slower than previous iterations and this takes some getting used to when you pick up the controller for the first time. This benefits the game and gives it a less frantic and more methodological feel.

Goal nets

Work does appear to have gone into the physics of the goal nets and they certainly seem less rigid compared to last time out. Whether this is to the extent wanted by various corners of the community remains to be unseen but I’m happy with the way they look.

The stanchion (or pole holding up the net, for those not in the know!) also wobbles when hit… a very nice touch.

Menus

Only the team set up and in game pause menus are present in the game however these have been reworked with updated branding and a more user-friendly tile system.

Referees / AI Fouling

A major criticism from many in PES 2016, being fouled by the AI… and then that foul being given by the referee is a lot better in PES 2017. By no means do you face 11 Roy Keanes when playing the AI however they have no qualms about diving in if they think the ball can be won, without always winning it.

An improved collision system also helps with this and the game is now more adept at separating a simple shoulder barge from blatant obstruction, and punishing the offender accordingly.

In total, I tended to average around 4-7 fouls against me per game.

Referee Spray

Is in the game! You don’t see the ref apply it, but as you line up the free kick the spray appears around the ball and in front of the wall. It lasts on the pitch for around 5 minutes and also appear in the replays.

Replays

These are now a lot more effective in capturing the action and now allow you to capture full speed replays in a number of broadcast quality angles.

The number of in-game replays also seems to have increased, with the game much more accomplished at showing you key moments within the games played including saves, near misses and fouls.

Tackling

Tackling was one of my favourite parts of PES 2016 so it’s of little surprise that these have pretty much been left alone. A heavy tackle (or indeed a foul) now causes the controller to vibrate which adds a haptic element to the game and cranks the satisfaction of nailing an inch perfect tackle up a notch.

Teams / Stadiums / Balls

Four fully licensed teams are included in the preview (France, Germany, Atletico Madrid and Arsenal). The latter is particularly exciting as the Londoners haven’t appeared licensed in the game since PES 6 – they also have the wear their recently released 2016/17 Puma home shirt.

Only one stadium makes it into the game – the fictional Neu Sonne Arena, whilst the ball used in the screenshots released last week also features.

Last edited:
these got me worried

I see zero balls spanged out of play due to slightly imprecise controller inputs - gamesradar

on any difficulty, where I was able to run straight past defenders at an angle - trustedreviews

over-the-top through ball can still be relied upon - videogamer

some are saying game is out on 20/09

Wonder when the demo will be?

Also they need to bring back option files. Last years way was hard work.

Like hearing there are more fouls and a better collision system in place to determine what a foul is. On the flip side, do not like hearing from one review that almost every foul brings a card. That has been an issue in the past, so I guess we'll see.

For whatever reason this seems very difficult for them to get right.

From what I read, I am not encouraged that many new staida will be added. Another aspect that seems difficult for them. Just so hard to be immersed in world football when your playing in the same ones over and over. Perhaps somehow on the PC side, there will be a way to extend the number of slots this year, hopefully.

"PES 2016 did a lot of things right but what everyone, even its creators, agreed on was that the keepers were hilariously easy to beat. It's the "most requested change," confirms Bhatti, and it's been well and truly sorted with goalies now capable of some fantastic feats to suit their standing.

More impressive is that this is not just a settings tweak across the board, but on an individual basis, reflecting personalities, with Tottenham's Hugo Lloris acrobatic and aerially gifted, Bayern Munich's Manuel Neuer all strong hands and good feet. It often felt like you could put anyone in goal, but now they're as important to your success as your star striker.

And best of all: they now come up for corners again when you make your tactics super attacking, an old favourite feature that had been lost in recent years."

Some points for those who haven't considered them already... I'm not saying these impressions are wrong, I'm not saying these particular aspects of the game are/aren't fixed, and I'm not really saying anything specific about PES 2017 (I can't, I haven't played it). But it's important to consider context when you read these.

- These previews are based on half a day with the game. That's NOTHING in football game terms, especially when trying to test several concepts at once.

- Hopefully the game IS slower - it certainly fits the 'slower, faster, slower, faster' cycle that football games tend to follow. But remember the game may appear slower because people aren't as good at it yet. People are comparing year-old, mastered gameplay to not-quite-bug-free, brand new gameplay.

- Not many games websites are genuinely going to be looking out for things which are concerns to us, nor will they necessarily know what our interpretation of 'fixed'/'better' is.

- Some websites almost definitely just think about all the components of a football game, and then describe it in a way that makes it sound a bit better (based on what they think people want to hear). How else do you get some people saying passing requires more thought, and others saying it's more accurate? One of these two camps is either (a) making it up based on how they think a football preview usually works, (b) using different control settings to the other camp (unlikely - nobody talks about it), or (c) doesn't know what accurate means.

- When you're testing an early version of something you're often more forgiving because there's more of a sense of potential. Much like how Walcott/Oxlade-Chamberlain get more flak now because it's clear they aren't going to iron out those weaknesses they had in their game as youngsters.

- There can also be a sense of hopeful optimism, where you'd like to think something is fixed so you might perceive it as being improved, or think to yourself 'they've got time to fix that'.

- There will also be marketing reps & presentations prior to demoing the game, which will tell you everything that has been fixed/improved/is better than ever. You're more likely to think these things are better if you've been told they are, or if a marketing guy is stood behind you saying "wow, that touch was amazing!" or "that was classic Giroud" or "we're working on that, that'll be fixed" etc etc.

There's nothing wrong with that at all, and it's not lying as far as I'm concerned. It's not their job to be even-handed about PES. It's their job to show the game in as positive a light as they can, and to take feedback but also manage expectations / let you know if they're already working to fix something.

BUT (and this is crucial)

- It's not a sterile environment for you to test stuff or see if you really think something's improved. As such, if you're trying to take notes and judge things based on bugger all play, and you perceive something as more fixed than it actually is / not notice something initially, it may be because you're surrounded by Konami reps who are being helpful and nice and assuring you they know about certain issues, or by people who aren't looking for the same things as you in PES, or who are simply enjoying themselves just playing PES with games journo mates.

I'm waffling now so I'll stop.

Many of that ^ and the fact some of the journos are hardly into football, if at all yet they still review football games.

The context of a "one day testing early build" needs to be reminded every year, people are rushing into presumptions too soon, thanks romagnoli

Not even a day. Just a couple/few hours with a ton of people around.

He talks a little bit about Adaptive AI and how it works. As example, he talks about plhow people during online matchs usually abuse of making the same play over and over again (like long balls to CRonaldo/Bale to sprint and exploit the wings), and then he says that the AI will adapt to that and even activate double pressure (without the need for the user to hold down square) when a dangerous players control the ball on these repetitive attacking plays.

He also talks about the differences between players and the ability that some players have to dictate the pace of the match. He gives as an example CRonaldo and his ability to speed up the pace by making a first touch already putting the ball forward instead of just control while stand still, and he also gives Ganso (SaoPaulo player) as example of player who has the ability to slow down the pace of the game.

Other than that, there isn much talk about gameplay, the rest of the video is about licenses that they are not allowed to talk about it. He talks about the politics of Konami never talk about licenses before they sign any contract that assures new licenses.

Last edited:
He talks a little bit about Adaptive AI and how it works. As example, he talks about plhow people during online matchs usually abuse of making the same play over and over again (like long balls to CRonaldo/Bale to sprint and exploit the wings), and then he says that the AI will adapt to that and even activate double pressure (without the need for the user to hold down square) when a dangerous players control the ball on these repetitive attacking plays.

He also talks about the differences between players and the ability that some players have to dictate the pace of the match. He gives as an example CRonaldo and his ability to speed up the pace by making a first touch already putting the ball forward instead of just control while stand still, and he also gives Ganso (SaoPaulo player) as example of player who has the ability to slow down the pace of the game.

Other than that, there isn much talk about gameplay, the rest of the video is about licenses that they are not allowed to talk about it. He talks about the politics of Konami never talk about licenses before they sign any contract that assures new licenses.
Muito obrigado Dudu ;)

i'm following the #PESday hashtag and seeing a couple of tweets coming through, albeit non english. If i get time i'll post up anything i see that's relevant here:

so far:

If you want to exchange a player in the Formationsscreen, you can see immediately what value had other players at his position. #PESDay - @PESianity
New information screen with player faces (finally!). Looks very good - @PESianity
We confirm the tempo of slow match - @WENB_ES
highlights: many new animations - @WENB_ES
Player reviews can be viewed already at the half-time break, new stats ball winning, events, etc - @PESianity
Replays flow normal speed So refreshing to see.. faces look like they are on another level.. more lifelike - @DJDaymos
Camera angles look like a hand held TV cam when the players came off at half time.. quality - @DJDaymos
Arguments still look a bit stiff #PES2017 - @AshElNegro
Transitions between camera angles are not like before #PES2017 No black screen pause ie gap... Replys are relevant clips only - @DJDaymos
New player attributes - Body Control & Physical Contact - @AshElNegro
keepers seem to be a massive improvement just smashed a shot toward the bottom corner v @bad_boy_g & Lloris tipped it round the post - @PESFanPirate
Through balls over the top don't seem to be so OP with defenders reading it most of the time and managing to intercept - @PESFanPirate
deep defensive line is fantasticPart of advanced instructions' stops any long balls! Amazing how the defenders stop all L1 triangle - @bad_boy_g
The way the ball moves is so accurate! They've toned down the sped of the game! So many advanced instructions! Trying them all -@bad_boy_g
Passing is smooth with long balls less affective! Positive so far played @PESFan_Pirate two games won one and lost one! The battles r good - @bad_boy_g
The realism on pes17 is amazing + keepers are doing some fantastic saves! - @bad_boy_g
When a player gets booked now, the card appears next to their name at the bottom of the screen - @GariClark
One word GOALKEEPERS - ‏@danielrhenry
everything feels so free on the pitch #PESDay - ‏@danielrhenry
seen 1 one on one so far R2 worked but will try it a few more times to see how it works out #PESDay #PES2017 - @PESFanPirate
Also, the shooting is so much more organic now compared to how it was last year. It now feels rewarding - @GariClark
At free-kicks, there are the obligatory spray by the referee, however without annoying sequences like a different game... - @PESianity
Nets are more realistic and react how they should. - @GariClark
Referees make mistakes, but they're realistic mistakes based on referees position and speed of play - @AshElNegro
Both Attacking and Defending are more difficult but rewarding. Skills make more sense but not overpowered - @AshElNegro
R2 shots are hit and miss as not all are going in keepers are making saves on shots that go in on PES2016 - @PESFanPirate
It feels that way (Is the game harder?), yeah. You have to work harder now to get results - @GariClark
Shooting is more natural and dynamic (Is there shot variation?) and the refs are a lot better at blowing for fouls and playing advantage etc - @GariClark
Body Control attribute greatly affects dribbling and allows players like Sanchez and Cazorla to do bits - @AshElNegro
just a quick one - if you want to shut up shop you can defending is so solid - @Danielrhenry
'Ultra responsive' 'natural' 'immersive' three words I'd use to describe #PES2017 so far - @Glen_pesworld
So far, wow. Actually so impressed. Can also confirm through ball spamming is gone, thoroughly tested by Few people - @damidnitekid
honestly through ball spammers will be destroyed - defending is so awesome this year - @danielrhenry
I was very dirty! Refs don't let you get away with fouling and Doing super cancel - @bad_boy_g
I am now afraid of the ref - they will punish you - @danielrhenry
Al players aren't making rash decisions! (do the refs show AI the red card?) Refs are actually realistic strict but won't just give reds - @bad_boy_g
you can do he Gegenpress is part of the advanced instructions! And teams press real hard so for people who time waste you can use this new feature to win the ball back! It's awesome!! - @bad_boy_g
Passes are good there is a leap in quality for this in automatic to be aware of the power, Position to give the pass will be very important for their effectiveness - @WENB_ES
Gone are the days of usin super cancel 2 get out of free kicks, keep getting pulled up straight away unless clear advantage is there - @PESFanPirate
Goalkeepers now have many more animations. Are much more secure, stop much more - @WENB_ES
(‏@Bluetony88 do the cpu actually make fouls this year?) YEP - @Glen_pesworld
(‏@iam_emmo when you play against AI do all their shots go low in the bottom corner as per PES16?) nope it's more varied, they'll try many different ways to score including more crossing of the ball - @Glen_pesworld
One AI game down. Shooting is great, passing is amazing, keepers are beautiful, referees are improved but have a few flaws. Overall, v happy - @nicodimaria
It's similar to PES 2016, but instead of a dotted line, it's now just a line (for free kicks/corners) - @GariClark
Yeah, more variation and no, it's harder to do that (running with ball from one end to the other) with a CB now as the players close down space better - @GariClark
kits are flowing it looks amazing. When a player jumps his shirt sometimes lifts and you see a bit of belly - @Glen_pesworld
I've played on game against cpu they were very unpredictable (in terms of scripting) - @glen_pesworld
With R2 shots are now less effective both outside and inside the area. - @WENB_ES
(‏@robbieshq Is that bug still in where you can keep possession in your own half and the AI don't attempt to win it back?) nope the opposition are very intuitive in this game - @glen_pesworld
(‏@jiinala also one area which annoyed me a lot, do all players have quick acceleration or has that been individualised) Its a lot better now - @GariClark
So far all day only one own goal has gone in - better team AI - @danielrhenry
the AI adapts to what you are doing you find yourself attacking one way then trying something else - @danielrhenry
one thing they've really wanted to focus on is goalkeepers! And they've really made keepers stronger!, we can expect keepers saving the shots that you expect them to save and some you'll be surprised that they save, keepers are so strong this year possibly the best Pes keepers in the decade, you have to earn every single goal! You will feel rewarded after scoring! - @bad_boy_g
it's still in the game (rainbow flick) but it's very stoppable! Early days so hopefully it will be even less affective - @bad_boy_g
no you don't see that (shirt pulling) but you do see players challenging each other to win the ball - @bad_boy_g
I'm just hoping they tweak little bits like ref blowing 4 full time whilst someone is attacking! They are working on it (any negatives?) - @bad_boy_g
you will see players attempting to win the ball back! - @bad_boy_g
The Grass looks 3d in the replays - @WENB_ES
Collisions now are much more credible, there are still some "stunning" , but very improved - @WENB_ES
Manual mode feels like #PES2016 - @WENB_ES

Last edited:
Replays flow normal speed #PESDAY
#PES2017
So refreshing to see.. faces look like they are on another level.. more lifelike @DJDaymos

Camera angles look like a hand held TV cam when the players came off at half time.. quality

#PES2017 #PESday @DJDaymos

Ah, ok Robbie. I didn't know you were going to update your post.

Last edited:
I don't know if it has been already mentioned...but...does anybody know something about the PC version? still a PS3 port? I heard to say that this time it is not going to be an old gen version but it will be the same as XBOXONE and PS4...anybody knows more?

Replays flow normal speed #PESDAY
#PES2017
So refreshing to see.. faces look like they are on another level.. more lifelike @DJDaymos

Camera angles look like a hand held TV cam when the players came off at half time.. quality

#PES2017 #PESday @DJDaymos

Ah, ok Robbie. I didn't know you were going to update your post.

i'll update it if i have the opportunity but feel free to add anything I havent mentioned. if there's time i'll collate it into my post (how long are you able to edit a post for before it stops here?)

Back
Top Bottom