CM 2012 Questions

Thanks for putting our questions to them, some good stuff, some bad stuff, especially on the mode breaking formation bug which has been in since Fifa08 and on the lack of AI formation changes but there's some good stuff in there.

I think in one of the previews it said your captain affects morale?

Yeah, there's some other things you can do through the press and things to improve the morale, but the captain selection screens were the same as 11 so it's hard to say how that works?..

They did have a massive list of known bugs from us so at the very least you would hope they fixed the ones they know about!!...;)

Nick,

Thanks for the info, missed these so maybe you know, or can ask on thursday;

- What are the sliders for? Transfer activity, Injuries, Stamina effects, player growth, etc. ? Are they for the whole game or does CM have mode related sliders?
- Has the manager history menu been sorted? Trophy avatars, correct data, etc.
- Have the job offers been improved?

Did you play a match against the AI? If so, do they still do the stupid kickoff attack everytime? Have they shown more general footballing intelligence with regard to possesion and passing?Thanks!

I have a list of all the sliders I'm sticking it in my review but I'll list them here first, as for the Kick off They did attack when they kicked off but then went backwards. And the manager history was just the same, I was not a happy bunny.. :RANT:

I have given a report on what needs to be looked at in there and I'm putting another one together for things I missed from Monday, so that will go in there again...;)

Only played a few months so no idea on Job offers...

One would hope, thanks again Nick :)

Not sure if too late, but have they now removed the auto-sign new contract function between seasons for players? If they've made it more "sim" like to negotiate with them? Would be a bit silly if they left that in wouldn't it? :)

Sliders

One big addition to 12 is the ability to tinker with a limited amount of the games mechanics, below is a list of all the sliders in the game:

These are available to adjust both the User and CPU...

Sprint Speed
Acceleration Speed
Shot Error (normal shots only)
Pass Error
Shot Speed (normal shots only)
Pass Speed
Injury Frequency
Injury Severity
GoalKeeper ability
Positioning: Marking
Positioning: Run Frequency
Positioning: defensive line height
Positioning: defensive line length
Positioning: Defensive line width
Positioning: Fullback Positioning

One would hope, thanks again Nick :)

Not sure if too late, but have they now removed the auto-sign new contract function between seasons for players? If they've made it more "sim" like to negotiate with them? Would be a bit silly if they left that in wouldn't it? :)

It would :P, as I never got that far I'll add it to the Thursday list and the report...

Sliders

One big addition to 12 is the ability to tinker with a limited amount of the games mechanics, below is a list of all the sliders in the game:

Sprint Speed
Acceleration Speed
Pass Error
Pass Speed
Injury Frequency
Injury Severity
GoalKeeper ability

Looks good, but they should add Agility to this list. So that I can make players move a bit slower.

Oh another, is the whole youth/scouting system just the same pretend made up players as before which has silhouette's for heads or real young players from the reserves of various teams?

Edit: Question is possibly answered here by Mr. David himself but just want to check http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0g277klOSQI&feature=player_detailpage#t=328s

The ones I came up with were 15-16 and in a lot of case's you had to wait to be able to take them on. I doubt any that young will be real with faces but I'm not sure what age they go up to.

Just on that point the faces used in the menus and screens are now real pictures or just blank heads, it's odd at first as the pictures are all fairly random from in-game to set photo shoots but they make the menus quicker :JAY: ...

I hate players with blank heads and refuse to sign them, why can't they just have a set group of generic 2d heads and pick one that somewhat matches? Would be far better than blank heads, makes me think they're IRA members from the news when I was growing up!

Sliders

Sprint Speed
Acceleration Speed
Pass Error
Pass Speed
Injury Frequency
Injury Severity
GoalKeeper ability

great news and i hope it works very well in game ;)

I hate players with blank heads and refuse to sign them, why can't they just have a set group of generic 2d heads and pick one that somewhat matches? Would be far better than blank heads, makes me think they're IRA members from the news when I was growing up!

An obvious solution to me is to generate the 2d portraits from their 3d player model... no? Just like with the Virtual Pro? I also hate the blank faced players, I can't stand seeing them in the lineup intro for my team or the CPU team. Completely stops all immersion in the game mode.

I don't care if it isn't that accurate, just give me a relatively accurate skin color and haircut and that'd be good enough.

Oh, and huge thanks to Nick Cave for putting in all this effort. Thank you.

Tnx Nick!

Did you manage to test the severity of the sliders? How much effect they have on the game?

What do these actually do;
Positioning: defensive line height = how far they push up?
Positioning: defensive line length = ?
Positioning: Defensive line width = how narrow they stay?
Positioning: Fullback Positioning = joining attacks?

I would think length and height is the same? It's great that they have finally added these. Could do with a few more, but it's a good start!

Tnx Nick!

Did you manage to test the severity of the sliders? How much effect they have on the game?

I would think length and height is the same? It's great that they have finally added these. Could do with a few more, but it's a good start!

They do alter the game but with just the few games I had it was hard to get the balance right. You go to extremes and your players are all over the place...

An obvious solution to me is to generate the 2d portraits from their 3d player model... no? Just like with the Virtual Pro? I also hate the blank faced players, I can't stand seeing them in the lineup intro for my team or the CPU team. Completely stops all immersion in the game mode.

I don't care if it isn't that accurate, just give me a relatively accurate skin color and haircut and that'd be good enough.

Oh, and huge thanks to Nick Cave for putting in all this effort. Thank you.

I also agree - the blank heads are a massive turnoff. If they could only find a way to incorporate a basic solution like Eaton suggests it would go a long way toward making me not avoiding these players as much. And don't they already have the system in place since they do this for our VPs?

This is a good one for the wish list Nick.

Another question when you get the time: Rutter said in the FSB video interview that the email system is improved, could you expand on that? Last year I think we can all agree that the email system was a joke - it was random and seemed disconnected from what actually was happening with your squad. So how has the system improved?

I guess the problem with generating 3D heads in-game is that it makes things more sluggish, which has been a real bone of contention for a lot of us across all menus and modes and something EA have been trying to improve on. At the same time, if every single player has a face (including for example EA generating heads, taking snapshots and importing those) then that will most likely add up to be a surprising amount of disc space used up.

It shouldn't be that hard to just generate a face on the fly - PES does a fine job at the moment, and I guess as long as the game makes sure that any lag or delay is solely in loading up the player head rather than in navigating the menu (so if you move very quickly between players then the heads aren't displayed until you stop) then everybody's happy. IIRC that's how PES does it. Don't see it happening this year in FIFA though.

Tnx Nick!

The severity is... pretty severe! I cranked shot speed and passing speed way up to full, and the players were pinging the ball around frighteningly quickly!

I didn't test the min's and max's of those positioning sliders, and I didn't have anything like enough of a play to really understand how much of a difference they make. But the three guesses you had there are correct. Length is basically compactness, as in how far back the midfield and attack drops. As Xaor said, these really should be tactics sliders rather than gameplay - PES caters for all four already (FB positioning is a lot more indirect though).

Something to note: the sliders we had access to in the July playtest differed from the ones at the end of May. This time around I couldn't see an attribute importance slider (so you could make them matter more or less), nor a first-touch. Some of the caveats added to the sliders that have been put in are pretty bizarre as well - shot error changes don't impact finesse shooting, for example.

I'd like to hear more on form and morale. But if that is done reasonably well and the injuries sound great, along with the youth and the better growth, I think that it will be pretty good.

Still alot to fix, but I think it sounds alot better than the last one.

Thnx Rom,

So do you think they are testing which sliders have the best response from you lot, or are they testing which ones can really break the game and which can't? Didn't realise they also had a attribute and 1sttouch slider, they should really be a basic slider imo.

Not sure whether positioning should be a tacticsslider. Mostly because the AI teams in general are pretty poorly balanced and having to edit a set of tactics and assing them to all the top leagues would be a bit much. So if you can balance it across the board it's also a usefull addition imo. Although it does carry the danger that every team plays too much alike again.

Just some generic questions:

1) Did you have fun?
2) Did you have some 'wow'-moments? (If yes, what were they)
3) Are you looking forward to buying and playing the game?

Just some generic questions:

1) Did you have fun?
Always do, we usually get a great set up from EA and we got to meet the god that is Mr Rutter in his shorts...

2) Did you have some 'wow'-moments? (If yes, what were they)
Love the new injury system and the youth scouts will be good. I think the fact that EA seem to be listening is the best wow...

3) Are you looking forward to buying and playing the game?
Looking forward to seeing what else EA can tweak and add before it ships for sure...:PIRATE:

Must admit the youth scout system is probably the thing that interests me the least as I can't stand the generic, pretend players with no faces it creates, new injury system, form, morale, player's having personality + press interaction is probably what I look forward to the most from what we've heard :)

Sliders

Sprint Speed
Acceleration Speed
Pass Error
Pass Speed
Injury Frequency
Injury Severity
GoalKeeper ability

Good start. These could be pretty useful.

Wow, that is so wrong! So, so Wrong.

These should be just basic tactic settings, not sliders!

Must admit the youth scout system is probably the thing that interests me the least as I can't stand the generic, pretend players with no faces it creates, new injury system, form, morale, player's having personality + press interaction is probably what I look forward to the most from what we've heard :)

I hate the regens though, there has to be someway of getting new players in and I doubt you could sign up a real 14Year old to a licence...

I hate the regens though, there has to be someway of getting new players in and I doubt you could sign up a real 14Year old to a licence...

It's the black silhouette that puts me off the most, if they generated a 2d head for them I'd be happy.

BTW I couldn't remember if you had any more Q&A sessions coming up? Wanted to ask if this year we will be able to turn off the sports scores ticker like all previous Fifa games, like all other EA Sports games, or will they continue spoiling the results of premier league matches minutes after the matches have ended?

It's the black silhouette that puts me off the most, if they generated a 2d head for them I'd be happy.

BTW I couldn't remember if you had any more Q&A sessions coming up? Wanted to ask if this year we will be able to turn off the sports scores ticker like all previous Fifa games, like all other EA Sports games, or will they continue spoiling the results of premier league matches minutes after the matches have ended?

I know what you mean - it's really the black silhouette that does it for me too! If it weren't for that, it'd be much easier to just consider them some unknown player like so many of the other unknowns in the game you end up learning about for the first time in CM.

At the least, the scouts in the past were always a good source of income for transfers, and I usually might end of keeping one or two black silhouettes around as cheap labor for the subs bench or reserves. But a little more effort into the regens would go along way to making them fit in better.

I'm fairly sure that's gone this year...

Back
Top Bottom